Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Great win for MLR! Looking forward to the final against Oulart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Duiske wrote: »
    Ballyboden were awarded a penalty by the referee you are moaning about. They fluffed it and it ultimately cost them the game. Anyway, fair play to MLR. Another good night beckons in the village of Borris. :)

It was funny listening to the KCLR CW commentators saying that MLR had to beat 16 men , and even when Ballyboden had man sent off they said '' There are now 15 men on the pitch for Dublin.

Well done to MLR - as Ballyboden only scored 2 points in the 2nd half , other than a goal in the 35th minute .

I was actually beginning to think that the referee thought this was a 35 minute game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As matter of interest what does FYP stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

As matter of interest what does FYP stand for?

For your pleasure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

For your pleasure Fixed your post

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

KevIRL wrote: »
    Carlow champs mount Leinster rangers through to Leinster hurling final after beating ballyboden today

Fair play to all involved,great to see.The strides that county is making in hurling,should be an inspiration to the likes of my own county.

Also fair play to Cratloe as well,fixtures didn't suit them,but two wins in two days is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭LilNiall

The success of Glenswilly in the past couple of years has been incredible. Michael Murphy continues to astound.

Would love to see them win an Ulster title with Crossmaglen out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

great wins for both clare teams today espicaly for cratloe who played there county final yesterday,to set up a final against crokes in two weeks time, the bridge will play na piarsaigh of limerick who are managed by sixmilebridge man sean stack next sunday

Munster Council have decided that Na Piarsaigh and Sixmilebridge must toss for ‘home’ venue for Sunday’s Munster club SHC final.
    The coin toss will take place at 1.30 this Monday in the Munster Council offices in Rhebogue, where both clubs will be represented.
    Now the Munster Council have referred to a new regulation, which deems that the Munster Council Committee have the power to instruct competing teams to toss.
    - from Limerick Leader

* I think this regulation was brought in in 2011 but note that the Munster Council did not force the Teams to toss for venue last year when a Tipp and Waterford played the final in Cork!
    2012[21] Thurles Sarsfields 1-21 (24) De La Salle 1-16 (19) Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Should be a great match anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Can anyone tell if there are floodlights in Tullamore. I think that use should be made of grounds with lights at this time of year, so really the munster club hurling final should be held at the Gaelic grounds. Also games could be staggered to suit tv coverage or play some on saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Sixmilebridge won the toss so Munster club hurling final will be in Ennis on Sunday at 2pm.

If the pitch is similar to the county final it will be heavy and slow. Hopefully the promised frost over the next few nights will harden the ground up somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge won the toss so Munster club hurling final will be in Ennis on Sunday at 2pm.

If the pitch is similar to the county final it will be heavy and slow. Hopefully the promised frost over the next few nights will harden the ground up somewhat

Why couldn't the game be on in the Gaelic Grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Why couldn't the game be on in the Gaelic Grounds?
    Because Sixmilebridge won the toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

wonder88 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell if there are floodlights in Tullamore.

No lights in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

FYP

Well I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Steel Dog wrote: »
    Because Sixmilebridge won the toss.

They're nearer the Gaelic Grounds than they are to Ennis!

Just curious, what is the capacity of Sixmilebridge's own venue? It's a fine set up they have there, would it be able to take anywhere near the size of Munster club final crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

rok wrote: »

* I think this regulation was brought in in 2011 but note that the Munster Council did not force the Teams to toss for venue last year when a Tipp and Waterford played the final in Cork!
    2012[21] Thurles Sarsfields 1-21 (24) De La Salle 1-16 (19) Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Should be a great match anyway!

Because it wouldnt have made any sense to force a toss last year, the only reason it was decided on this year was that any suitable neutral ground would have meant both teams having to travel further than they would if they lost the toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i didnt think they would have been a coin toss ether but i supose the fact that the gealic grounds falls in the na piarsaigh parish i can see why they did'nt use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

They're nearer the Gaelic Grounds than they are to Ennis!

Just curious, what is the capacity of Sixmilebridge's own venue? It's a fine set up they have there, would it be able to take anywhere near the size of Munster club final crowd?

Very good set up in Sixmilebridge in fairness to them. Lovely little stand but no real room behind either goal or on the opposite side. Add a lack of suitable parking and it would be a non starter I'd imagine.

Clare primary school finals were held in Clarecastle during the week and not Cusack Park as is the norm, they're really trying to mind it for Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Brigid's out:eek:

Congrats Castlebar, huge result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Cratloe v Dr Crokes

St Brigids v Castlebar
    Castlebar win after ET

Ballinaderry v Glenswilly

Portlaoise/Moorefield v St Vincents/Summerfield

Portlaoise 1-9 – Moorefield 0-8
    St Vincent’s 1-14 – Summerhill 1-10

St Brigids v Castlebar - Delayed transmission on TG4
    Castlebar win after ET

Down to the final 7

Cratloe /Dr Crokes v
    Castlebar

Portlaoise v St Vincents

Can't see Crokes not winning it out from here. With Cross and Brigid's out it should give every team remaining a huge lift. Will be very interesting to see who comes out of Ulster and Leinster, but I don't think any team can match Crokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How the blazes is Marty Duffy allowed to referee matches? A disgraceful performance by him today at Hyde Park. A good referee is hardly noticed. Duffy does not come into that category:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How the blazes is Marty Duffy allowed to referee matches? A disgraceful performance by him today at Hyde Park. A good referee is hardly noticed. Duffy does not come into that category:mad:.

he ruined a good game of football

and missed at least two penalties for Brigids

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Some farcical decisions alright. Made the game 'interesting' though.

Good win for a Vincent's and they look like they will on'y get stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

copacetic wrote: »
    Some farcical decisions alright. Made the game 'interesting' though.

Good win for a Vincent's and they look like they will on'y get stronger.

Made it a lottery more like...Some mental decisions all tru the game but he completely lost all sense after he sent Moran off.
    There was some battle for attention between Curran and himself. The sight of him trying to carry Curran off near the end was one of the funniest things you will see on a pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    he ruined a good game of football

and missed at least two penalties for Brigids

In fairness I don't think it would have been all that great a game of football anyway with the conditions.

He didnt help but both sides made a lot of mistakes on their own anyway.

Overall I thought the quality was fairly low from both sides.

I did think Castlebar rode their luck a fair bit but I thought St Brigids were fairly poor, especially after the first 10 minutes. The vast majority of the St Brigids' players had average or poor games. Very hard to win games when that's the case.

I wasn't overly impressed by Castlebar against Corofin and I didnt see anything today to change my mind in terms of them being serious contenders for the All-Ireland.

They've relied on goals to win in both games and a number of them have been of the softish variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I thought the Brigid's-Castlebar game was really exciting, end-to-end stuff throughout, some nice football, some excellent scores. Lots of intensity.

Marty Duffy made some very strange decisions alright and Brigid's may feel aggrieved but it was still a good game.

Frankie Dolan's flick-up and point from distance was excellent. Richie Feeney's goal was very good too. I thought Feeney was immense, he was back in the defence making a few instrumental interventions and then up front to contribute to the attack. Covered so much ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

For the end of November it was near perfect conditions for a game, no wind or rain. The first 10 minutes Brigids played very well i thought and probably should have led by more than 5 points at the break. 2nd half Castlebar were a different team fired up and Brigids didn't no what hit them to go five points up but like all good teams Brigids fought back to almost win it in normal time. Many would have fancied Brigids to retain their AI title if they won today why can't Mitchels go all the way?

A good exciting game where a ref wanted to be the centre of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

For the end of November it was near perfect conditions for a game, no wind or rain. The first 10 minutes Brigids played very well i thought and probably should have led by more than 5 points at the break. 2nd half Castlebar were a different team fired up and Brigids didn't no what hit them to go five points up but like all good teams Brigids fought back to almost win it in normal time. Many would have fancied Brigids to retain their AI title if they won today why can't Mitchels go all the way?

A good exciting game where a ref wanted to be the centre of attention.

Well, I wouldn't write Mitchells off, but I wasn't impressed with them in the first half. Did really well to react to the red card and get a couple of goals but I'm not sure they'd have won it out without the red cards.

I haven't seen all their competitors for AI, but I would definitely tip Dr. Crokes against them, who look very strong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well considering now the fact that it was a case of Corifin just turning up to beat Castlebar in Tuam based on the odds and reports and nearly the same with Brigids the AI champions and main Connaught team for the last 3 years then its a bit daft writing Castlebar off. A young team with no fear and a good spread of inter county experience. B Moran will be a massive loss though.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Well considering now the fact that it was a case of Corifin just turning up to beat Castlebar in Tuam based on the odds and reports and nearly the same with Brigids the AI champions and main Connaught team for the last 3 years then its a bit daft writing Castlebar off. A young team with no fear and a good spread of inter county experience. B Moran will be a massive loss though.

Moran will be available no? 1/2 month ban depending on the offence? Next match in February afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

THFC wrote: »
    Moran will be available no? 1/2 month ban depending on the offence? Next match in February afaik.

You have to miss a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Down to the final 7

Cratloe /Dr Crokes v
    Castlebar

Portlaoise v St Vincents

Final 8, don't forget Ulster winners play London's Kingdom Kerry Gaels in December.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

keane2097 wrote: »
    You have to miss a game.

Definitely? I thought it was a time ban?
    I hear they are appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah they changed that rule a few years ago, it's still a time ban but you have to miss at least one game regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They were successful in appealing Kirby's red during the week and judging by the look of jubilation on Connacht secretary John Prentys face after the game i wouldn't bet against an appeal to the Connacht Council being successful

They were successful in appealing Kirby's red during the week and judging by the look of jubilation on Connacht secretary John Prentys face after the game i wouldn't bet against an appeal to the Connacht Council being successful

Prenty isn't a Castlebar man, so doubt it would bother him too much. He is a plague on Mayo football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'd hope the Red card would be rescinded a joke of a decision!

Congrats to Castlebar on the upset. Fairly fortunate with some of the refereeing descisions, but that shouldn't take away from a brilliant performance against a really good Brigids team.

Crokes need to be careful now, and guard against complacency. Would be delighted for Cooper to win the All Ireland Club title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

All set up for a Crokes win now and for Cooper to get his AI club medal. Some very very poor refereeing decisions in this club championship. Watched quite a few of the matches across all the counties and there have been a huge number of controversial sendings off at crucial times in matches. The ref in the Brigids match was one of the worst though. Can't believe how bad the final two decisions in normal time were, along with all the sendings off. Hope to see Brigids coming back next year but Frankie, K Mannion, the Kilbrides and Shane Curran will all be another year older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think it would have been all that great a game of football anyway with the conditions.

He didnt help but both sides made a lot of mistakes on their own anyway.

Overall I thought the quality was fairly low from both sides.

I did think Castlebar rode their luck a fair bit but I thought St Brigids were fairly poor, especially after the first 10 minutes. The vast majority of the St Brigids' players had average or poor games. Very hard to win games when that's the case.

I wasn't overly impressed by Castlebar against Corofin and I didnt see anything today to change my mind in terms of them being serious contenders for the All-Ireland.

They've relied on goals to win in both games and a number of them have been of the softish variety.

I think that's a pretty miserable assessment of what was an enthralling game, full of incident, changing fortunes and some brilliant football.
    Although I'm a Roscommon man, I have to take my hat off to Mitchells on their courage and never-say-die spirit. They did it the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

stooge wrote: »
    All set up for a Crokes win now and for Cooper to get his AI club medal. Some very very poor refereeing decisions in this club championship. Watched quite a few of the matches across all the counties and there have been a huge number of controversial sendings off at crucial times in matches. The ref in the Brigids match was one of the worst though. Can't believe how bad the final two decisions in normal time were, along with all the sendings off. Hope to see Brigids coming back next year but Frankie, K Mannion, the Kilbrides and Shane Curran will all be another year older.

Are you talking about one of the dumbest, stupidest, most airheaded pieces of panic I've ever seen on a football field that led to the concession of an unbelievably obvious free and the resulting sending off?

And I'm from Roscommon.
    And I was there cheering on Brigids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

megadodge wrote: »
    Are you talking about one of the dumbest, stupidest, most airheaded pieces of panic I've ever seen on a football field that led to the concession of an unbelievably obvious free and the resulting sending off?

And I'm from Roscommon.
    And I was there cheering on Brigids.

With time up none of that would have happened if Marty Duffy didn't over rule a clear St Brigids line ball.

With time up none of that would have happened if Marty Duffy didn't over rule a clear St Brigids line ball.

Ah now even a Brigids fan can take the defeat, time to move on ;)
    Duffy has wronged every set of fans in Connaught at one stage or another, he and his brother are the worse examples of refs I have ever seen in 30 years of attending matches.
    Watching it again I think he was as bad for one as the other, but it looks worse when you lose!
    You are beginning to sound like a Mayo man now with all this complaining about ref decisions losing you matches! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Marty duffy is the worst referee in gaelic football,but sunday shouldnt be a suprise.Cork fans have had him many times against kerry and he was truly awful beyond belief,2009 all ireland final stand outs.Sunday performance was always on the cards when you look at hes track record.

He is like james mcgrath in Hurling ,the two worst referees at present.

Ah now even a Brigids fan can take the defeat, time to move on ;)
    Duffy has wronged every set of fans in Connaught at one stage or another, he and his brother are the worse examples of refs I have ever seen in 30 years of attending matches.
    Watching it again I think he was as bad for one as the other, but it looks worse when you lose!
    You are beginning to sound like a Mayo man now with all this complaining about ref decisions losing you matches! :D

I am not a Brigids fan. Its Connacht not Connaught BTW and if Duffy didn't over rule the line ball that was given to Brigids on 62.16 they would have won the game 2-11 to 3-7.

I am not a Brigids fan. Its Connacht not Connaught BTW and if Duffy didn't over rule the line ball that was given to Brigids on 62.16 they would have won the game 2-11 to 3-7.

Says who?? It can and is spelt both ways, neither is incorrect and both are used commonly.

Why is that mistake more prevelant than all of his other mistakes, just because it happened in injury time?

Maybe a few Brigids fans should look at the lunatic in goals and also give credit to Caslebar if they are looking for a reason as to why they were defeated, which in fairness most have acknowledged Castlebars performance.

Says who?? It can and is spelt both ways, neither is incorrect and both are used commonly.

Why is that mistake more prevelant than all of his other mistakes, just because it happened in injury time?

Maybe a few Brigids fans should look at the lunatic in goals and also give credit to Caslebar if they are looking for a reason as to why they were defeated, which in fairness most have acknowledged Castlebars performance.

The spelling Connaught reflects the former English practice in Ireland.

From that line ball Castlebar got that free to bring the game into extra time. Most of the "lunatic" stuff from Curran was done in extra time. I think many Brigids supporters have been gracious in defeat and have given plenty of credit to Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

The "lunatic" stuff I saw was the St. Brigids medical staff trying to treat what I thought was a pulled hamstring like it was a cramp. No wonder he was going nuts!!

Squareball wrote: »
    The "lunatic" stuff I saw was the St. Brigids medical staff trying to treat what I thought was a pulled hamstring like it was a cramp. No wonder he was going nuts!!

Hamstrings are a bit higher up that that, and that was one in a long line of antics from Curran who just loves been the center of attention, he berated the referee at FT and had to be draged away by his own mentors, he cost Brigids another point acting the clown and then for no apparent reason he goes on a mad 50 yard sols and looses posession, then attempts to cover up his folly by feigning injury but refusing to leave the field and wasters over 3 and 1/2 minutes with his childish carry on all while he's team are trailing and time fast running out.

Extremely talented keeper no doubt but a liability at this stage and needs to realise that the team is bigger than any individual. Funnily enough at the final whistle he was walking perfectly fine, a mere 5 minutes after requiring 4 men to carry him two metres :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Welll you would need to tell that to one of Mayos main papers the Connaught Telegraph and the hotel in Galway the Connaught Hotel.
    If thats where the argument is gone to then its the last level that a man can attack is their grammar :rolleyes:

Brigid supporters have been very gracious, so why you can't accept the defeat is beyond us.

Advertisement