Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

yop wrote: »
    Welll you would need to tell that to one of Mayos main papers the Connaught Telegraph and the hotel in Galway the Connaught Hotel.

In fairness that spelling probably goes back to the time when the newspaper was established. GAA spell it Connacht which is good enough for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What games are on tv next Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thumbs_Down

feargale wrote: »
    What games are on tv next Sunday?

Live game is Oulart-The Ballagh vs Mt. Leinster Rangers. Deferred coverage of Ballinderry vs Glenswilly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Crokes looked absolutely awesome in the Kerry county final,I'd love to see Gooch win an All Ireland club final.Just not at expense of the Mitchels,hope Barry's appeal is successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

They looked fantastic that day, but the opposition was very poor. I think the performance v Castlehaven is more of a realistic indicator of what they're like.
    I think they're good, but overrated because of Gooch.

I fancy St. Vincent's to go all the way. They've done it before (only 5 years ago) and any side coming out of Dublin has hard matches behind them. I just like the look of them again.

Tough going and level pegging thus far in lens terms hurling game.
    Amongst other items, is the Oolagh corner back wearing tights/leggings. WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible match. Both teams are really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Oulart are falling apart. Some awful shooting.

Looking like a big freeze for oolagh...can't score at all it seems

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Win for MLR. Well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Well done Mount Leinster Rangers. Fair play to them. Some emotion at the final whistle. Carlow are a seriously success starved county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good win for MLR. Much the better team in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

kksaints wrote: »
    Terrible match. Both teams are really bad.

Both teams deserve to be there, they are better than any other teams in Leinster this year. As for the final obviously nerves for both teams for different reasons.

Well done to MLR Leinster Champions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Dr. Crokes survived a late scare and had to dig deep to recover in the last 5 mins which saw Colm Cooper walk the line for a 2nd yellow and Cratloe sneak 1 point ahead as injury time beckoned. A tremendous show of resilience by Crokes to overturn the late deficit in the face of a powerful, fast and skilled young Cratloe team playing with decorated Clare hurlers. A massive point kicked by Johnny Buckley from 65 yards out secured Crokes their 3rd Munster title in a row by the slimmest of margins. 0-13 - 0-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Fair play to Mount Leinster Rangers.

Oulart never deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

oulart are the mayo of hurling, they don't have the balls for it on the big day.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Dr. Crokes survived a late scare and had to dig deep to recover in the last 5 mins which saw Colm Cooper walk the line for a 2nd yellow and Cratloe sneak 1 point ahead as injury time beckoned. A tremendous show of resilience by Crokes to overturn the late deficit in the face of a powerful, fast and skilled young Cratloe team playing with decorated Clare hurlers. A massive point kicked by Johnny Buckley from 65 yards out secured Crokes their 3rd Munster title in a row by the slimmest of margins. 0-13 - 0-12

Second year in a row a highly rated Crokes team have struggled past a Clare team. The All Ireland semi final is nicely set up for Castlebar to win however its depends on how they manage the long break.

Ulster final result ballinderry 1-13 glenswilly 2-6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Second year in a row a highly rated Crokes team have struggled past a Clare team. The All Ireland semi final is nicely set up for Castlebar to win however its depends on how they manage the long break.

Ulster final result ballinderry 1-13 glenswilly 2-6

Dr. Crokes V St. Vincents on St. Patricks Day in Croker is the most likely scenario. No Mayo team can ever perform against a Kerry thing, they are a county of continuous chokers and I'd have nothing to fear from Castlebar. Had Cratloe behaved themselves today and not resorted to hard hitting, pulling and dragging they would have beaten Crokes and Cratloe would also beat Castlebar. Castlebar are the weakest team left in the competition. St. Vincents are firm favourites for the title now but Dr. Crokes may yet have a say in that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Baillinderry looked very good today.They have got a number of classy footballers in their team, Enda Muldoons pass for one chance was sublime.

• Advertisement

castlebar won't beat the crokes, cratloe were not a bad side with alot of
    players with all ireland medals let it be in hurling but still have them and are
    young.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭TheHighest92

i think i had an overdose of culchyness listening to my ballinderry neighbours on the wireless.
    in other matters, hopefully it gives the derry county team a bit of confidence next year if they progress to the final stages of the club all ireland

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Well done Mount Leinster Rangers. Fair play to them. Some emotion at the final whistle. Carlow are a seriously success starved county

The small population of the county coupled with the popularity of rugby and probably soccer and gaelic football in whatever order after that. Hurling then has the bare scraps. Id love to see the Carlow's, Leitrims and whatever other smaller counties be given some opportunity to achieve success at intercounty level. Some very loyal and die hard gaels in these counties that deserve days like the wonderful MLR gave Carlow today

Dr. Crokes V St. Vincents on St. Patricks Day in Croker is the most likely scenario. No Mayo team can ever perform against a Kerry thing, they are a county of continuous chokers and I'd have nothing to fear from Castlebar. Had Cratloe behaved themselves today and not resorted to hard hitting, pulling and dragging they would have beaten Crokes and Cratloe would also beat Castlebar. Castlebar are the weakest team left in the competition. St. Vincents are firm favourites for the title now but Dr. Crokes may yet have a say in that matter.

Wouldn't rule Portlaoise out. They have alot of the Oulart about them in that they underachieve and for such a big club with a big pick too but they'll have a say yet.

And both Ballina Stephenites and Crossmolina have won in the past so you cant exactly say that its uncharted territory for Mayo teams either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do not underestimate Ballinderry anyone.
    They are a very strong team who will take a lot of beating.
    Many experienced players too.

portlaoise are no way like Oulart i think they have 8 leinster titles to
    oularts big duck egg none.

St Vincents will have it all to do v Portlaoise.

Have you forgotten the 1996 AI semi final when Mayo bet Kerry? Crossmolina 2001 and Ballina 2005 have gone on to win senior All Irelands you have to go all the way back to 1996 since a side from Kerry won the Andy Merrigan Cup.

Debatable who are the weakest team left very little between any of the teams left IMO and Castlebar who have beaten St Brigids,Corofin are more than capable of causing another upset v Dr Crokes who are not as good as some seem to think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The small population of the county coupled with the popularity of rugby and probably soccer and gaelic football in whatever order after that. Hurling then has the bare scraps. Id love to see the Carlow's, Leitrims and whatever other smaller counties be given some opportunity to achieve success at intercounty level. Some very loyal and die hard gaels in these counties that deserve days like the wonderful MLR gave Carlow today

Delighted for them,it is victiories like this and london this year is what makes the gaa.
    Carlow hurling deserves immense credit,their even starting to win at colleges with carlow IT.There was a great article in the independent today on them.

Carlow hurling since the u21 win against dublin has taken off.The work john meyler has done,with pat english,but kevin ryan and paul flynn before them ,they all deserve immense credit for their work.

I didnt get to see it, I will watch it tuesday night on tg4,i hope thats the match they show at 1am.John cococran,the cork cl**n that insulted carlow hurling two weeks ago ,must be red faced tonight.He looked down the nose of Carlow,their club team won a provinical title ,we havent won one in a while,and did not make a final.

If he had decency at all,he should aplogise and formally congratulate Mount Gabriel at the cork agm,convention on the 14th december,as people like him give decent cork gaa folk a bad name.

Also fair play to cratloe.A terrific,achievement in running crokes to a point.It shows what a huge huge ,part a winning mentatily has in a game,cratloe were going to win,not for a day out,with the likes of ryan,mcgrath,collins etc.

I still dont think crokes are unbeatable.Their a very good side,but have their faults also,and seem burdened by the huge expectation on them.

Fair play to youghal in the all ireland intermediate semi final.Christy cooney could well be returning to croke park.

I saw a clip of him.Nothing against a lads personal fashion style of the field,and we had some beauties,but without sounding old fashioned,its a bit much in fairness.
    I want a player,solid as a brick,hard as nails,leggings,id begin to doubt is he tough enough.

I dont see what the purpose is .I mean if your afraid of a bit of rain and the cold,youre in the wrong game.My opinion is,it just doesnt engrain me with confidence when I see a player with it.If it was to prevent injuries etc,you could justify it ,but I have seen lads play afte horrific injuries without them.

Not the first I saw do it,a few cork lads had them last january in challenge games.Thank god they copped themselves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Congrats to Mount Leinster Rangers

The work been in done in Carlow must be unreal,they have competitive teams at inter county underage level and now they have Leinster Senior Club champions.

Wasn't so long ago our hurlers were hammering Carlow but now the wheel has turned and they are a good bit ahead of us and would probably be too strong for most Christy Ring Cup teams

Our lads beat Carlow by 25 points back in 04 NHL I don't think we have beaten them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I saw a clip of him.Nothing against a lads personal fashion style of the field,and we had some beauties,but without sounding old fashioned,its a bit much in fairness.
    I want a player,solid as a brick,hard as nails,leggings,id begin to doubt is he tough enough.

I dont see what the purpose is .I mean if your afraid of a bit of rain and the cold,youre in the wrong game.My opinion is,it just doesnt engrain me with confidence when I see a player with it.If it was to prevent injuries etc,you could justify it ,but I have seen lads play afte horrific injuries without them.

Not the first I saw do it,a few cork lads had them last january in challenge games.Thank god they copped themselves on.

The full back could have a dodgy achilles, calf or hamstring and needed to keep them warm.. You can be sure that he knew that he would be commented upon when he appeared in them. I doubt it was that he wanted to stay warm. You wouldn't have been cold in that match today.

Figerty wrote: »
    The full back could have a dodgy achilles, calf or hamstring and needed to keep them warm.. You can be sure that he knew that he would be commented upon when he appeared in them. I doubt it was that he wanted to stay warm. You wouldn't have been cold in that match today.
    Well thats fair enough,but im not sure how it would make much a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Well done to Mount Leinster Rangers. There are a lot of teams who could learn from them in terms of the spirit and resolve they showed. They fully believed they were going to win and were going to go through the wall to win it. One sliding challenge which cut out an Oulart attack and (I think) resulted in a point summed them up for me. Oulart really can have no complaints. They panicked very early and started taking pot shots. They went something like 15 minutes without scoring in the 2nd half and didn't do enough to match the intensity of the Carlow champions. Two or three simple chances dropped into the keeper's hands also.

I'd imagine for the first time in a long time (possibly ever) the Ulster champions will be favourites for the All-Ireland club championship semi-final. There will be no quarter asked or given in that game.

What this also shows once again is what a great advent the All-Ireland intermediate and junior championships are for a club. It provides clubs with the stepping stone and the belief to be able to play at a higher level.

portlaoise are no way like Oulart i think they have 8 leinster titles to
    oularts big duck egg none.

Perhaps a bad comparison and tbf Portlaoise have played some tough teams but i just think they havent made the most of their many laois titles in a row at provincial level. Just seem to be lacking that little bit extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

IMHO, As good a team Dr. Crokes are i dont think they will win it. They dont seem to perform when the expectation is on them. We are seeing it every year now. They had a late scare today and nearly lost to Cratloe who werent meant to be in the running at all. This is their best chance to win it and Colm Cooper to get his club medal but i wont put my bank account on them to deliver just yet.

And as for Oulart i just dont know whats wrong when you lose 4 in a row. Something wrong with players minds it must seem.

• Advertisement

Delighted for them,it is victiories like this and london this year is what makes the gaa.
    Carlow hurling deserves immense credit,their even starting to win at colleges with carlow IT.There was a great article in the independent today on them.

tbf ITCarlow have a fairly mixed setup in terms of personnel.

While there is a few Carlow lads there is lads from all over the country on that side but the top class facilities have certainly helped the IT no doubt and essentially your right. There is now an air of optimism in Carlow with regards to the hurling. The u21 scalp of Dublin coupled with today is crucial to the future.

You would hope the clubs like Carlow Town, St Patricks, Palatine, Tinryland, etc would look at that performance today and say to themselves 'Well why cant that be us someday down the line?'.

Mount Leinster have diminished the popular opinion that the so called weaker counties haven't the resources to compete and achieve at the very top. They diminished any theories that weaker counties might have mental blockages and i think the most crucial thing in the development of MLR has been their willingness to embrace the environment outside the county Carlow boundaries. They have acquired all the preparation and inspiration needed to make dreams like today a reality.

Amprodude wrote: »
    IMHO, As good a team Dr. Crokes are i dont think they will win it. They dont seem to perform when the expectation is on them. We are seeing it every year now. They had a late scare today and nearly lost to Cratloe who werent meant to be in the running at all. This is their best chance to win it and Colm Cooper to get his club medal but i wont put my bank account on them to deliver just yet.

And as for Oulart i just dont know whats wrong when you lose 4 in a row. Something wrong with players minds it must seem

My heart goes out to Oulart. There is no shortage of steel in Wexford hurling so its hard to put a finger on what is wrong. Like Mayo i cant help feeling that if they do win one they might appreciate it so much that they could get the taste for it and sweep all before them but the monkey on their back has now grown into a great big gorilla

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

it just seemed that mlr wanted it more and were willing to hunt in packs compared to oulart.. 3 and 4 players surrounding the man in possession was clearly evident from todays game.. hunger and desire burn brightly with these Carlow boys..well done to the small fish(as davy would say)
    have a feeling crokes wont win the football.. don't like it when the going gets tough... scraped thru today.. and scraped thru last yr by a single point in munster as well.

While there is a few Carlow lads there is lads from all over the country on that side but the top class facilities have certainly helped the IT no doubt and essentially your right. There is now an air of optimism in Carlow with regards to the hurling. The u21 scalp of Dublin coupled with today is crucial to the future.

You would hope the clubs like Carlow Town, St Patricks, Palatine, Tinryland, etc would look at that performance today and say to themselves 'Well why cant that be us someday down the line?'.

Mount Leinster have diminished the popular opinion that the so called weaker counties haven't the resources to compete and achieve at the very top. They diminished any theories that weaker counties might have mental blockages and i think the most crucial thing in the development of MLR has been their willingness to embrace the environment outside the county Carlow boundaries. They have acquired all the preparation and inspiration needed to make dreams like today a reality.
    Absoultey,every team needs to start from some where.And once you have the hunger,and commitments its a help.

Carlow hurling ,in times gone ,dreaded the next game,now the semifinal cant come fast enough.They always had talented hurlers,mickey mullins came to cork and na piarsaigh and held hes own with both.

Yes money helps ,of course,but when you have heart,hunger ,and good people involved you always have a chance.

Clyda rovers,mount gabriel ,cratloe all proved the so called small fish can match anyone on their day.

Tippeary proved that in the football with the minors.With the right attuide ,and men in charge,they can win also.

Today was great for the gaa.

rambojon wrote: »
    it just seemed that mlr wanted it more and were willing to hunt in packs compared to oulart.. 3 and 4 players surrounding the man in possession was clearly evident from todays game.. hunger and desire burn brightly with these Carlow boys..well done to the small fish(as davy would say)
    have a feeling crokes wont win the football.. don't like it when the going gets tough... scraped thru today.. and scraped thru last yr by a single point in munster as well.

Their is huge burden on crokes,their expected to win it now,so if they do,people will say,ah all the big boys were out,yet they loose,people will say,how they did loose it,they will never have a better chance.
    They need to forget about expectation,and realise that never wins you much,every team must earn their win .They have to play the full match.Today could be the best thing that ever happened them,staring defeat in the face,and the fact it wasnt a goal,but two more scores that won it,will stand to them ,if they learn the lessons today.

No bad thing at all,to have such a scare.They were believing the hype,unbeatable.Today could be the wake up call they needed,and both managers and players can realise that they have a lot to work on,and forget the papers.

• Advertisement

Having a third level college in a small county with a good hurling set-up has to be good for the county, even if most of the personnel are from other counties. It would probably greatly benefit such counties if these institutions played in the county championship. Maybe it would in most cases set a standard for the other clubs. I'm thinking of Athlone IT, IT Tralee, Letterkenny etc..

oulart are the mayo of hurling, they don't have the balls for it on the big day.

Great to see a Carlow team bask in the sunshine.
    I had mixed sympathies, because Oulart must be heart-broken. I wouldn't decry them. Any team that has beaten some of the best teams in Leinster, including two Kilkenny champions, is not to be sniffed at. Whatever Wexford teams ever lack it's not balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Shocked that Cratloe nearly took out Crokes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Shocked that Cratloe nearly took out Crokes!

why kib nearly took them last year and the year before?? cratloe hammered them in the clare championship this year, infact the game took nearly an identical process as the kib crokes game last year

i will agree clare at inter county football is poor but at club level there usually is never much between clare teams against the big two in munster football!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Absoultey,every team needs to start from some where.And once you have the hunger,and commitments its a help.

Carlow hurling ,in times gone ,dreaded the next game,now the semifinal cant come fast enough.They always had talented hurlers,mickey mullins came to cork and na piarsaigh and held hes own with both.

Yes money helps ,of course,but when you have heart,hunger ,and good people involved you always have a chance.

Clyda rovers,mount gabriel ,cratloe all proved the so called small fish can match anyone on their day.

Tippeary proved that in the football with the minors.With the right attuide ,and men in charge,they can win also.

Today was great for the gaa.
    That would be Mark Mullins you speak of going to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

why kib nearly took them last year and the year before?? cratloe hammered them in the clare championship this year, infact the game took nearly an identical process as the kib crokes game last year

i will agree clare at inter county football is poor but at club level there usually is never much between clare teams against the big two in munster football!!

Never really realised Clare club football was as good, you make sense :p

That would be Mark Mullins you speak of going to Cork.
    Yeah ,my mistake ,their was two mullins,played for cork,mikey was a cork man.
    Mark was a great hurler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Over the past 3 years, Clare Club football has been ahead of Cork Club football in terms of performances in Munster.

I hope the Cork Co.Board delgate who allegedly made fun of the Carlow hurling is feeling pretty stupid today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Radio5 wrote: »
    Over the past 3 years, Clare Club football has been ahead of Cork Club football in terms of performances in Munster.

I hope the Cork Co.Board delgate who allegedly made fun of the Carlow hurling is feeling pretty stupid today.

There was no allegedly about it, the quote was in the national press and no denials have been made, others who were at the meeting have confirmed it was said and not en marge either it was addressed through the chair, the man is a bufoon and if his club have any regard for the County Board and how it functions he should never be afforded the opportunity to represent them again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What was said?

• Advertisement
Advertisement