Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Any one notice that Mount Leinster Rangers had no sponsorship on their shirts yesterday? Is that common country wide?

Just had a look at their web page....They are a result of a merger of three smaller clubs in the late 80's......Great story and good luck to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There was no allegedly about it, the quote was in the national press and no denials have been made, others who were at the meeting have confirmed it was said and not en marge either it was addressed through the chair, the man is a bufoon and if his club have any regard for the County Board and how it functions he should never be afforded the opportunity to represent them again.

Totally agree,no need to disrespect another county's standard of hurling,fair play to the Carlow lads,always nice to see an underdog like them triumph.Tremendous sympathy for Oulart though,what's that,4 final losses in a row?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Squareball wrote: »
    Any one notice that Mount Leinster Rangers had no sponsorship on their shirts yesterday? Is that common country wi
    Just had a look at their web page....They are a result of a merger of three smaller clubs in the late 80's......Great story and good luck to them!!

I was at the game yesterday and did comment on that. They have sponsors on their normal jersey...Seamus Power Transport I think it is. MLR usually wear black and a lot of red but couldn't yesterday so switched to a specially done all black jersey for the final so it wouldn't clash with Oulart.
    But have no idea how this new shirt went without having the usual sponsor on it yesterday of all days. Live on tv, in a Leinster Final...it's exactly what a sponsor would dream of & why they get involved.

I am not from that part of Carlow so don't have much info on all that. But gotta say what a day it was as a Carlow person. Incredible for a club from a Div 2A county to win Leinster. Now are only 4th co in Leinster to have provincial club champs in hurling & football..after Offaly, Dublin & Laois.

Well done to all involved & bring on the All Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Glad to see people are realising the strenght of Clare club football. Doonbeg were knocking on the door in the 90s and won a munster club in 98 and lost the 99 final. Kilmurry Ibrickane won munster club in 2004, lost the 2008 final by a point and won it in 2009 and went on to play in the 2010 All-Ireland Club final. St Senans Kilkee also reached the 2003 and 2005 Munster Club Final.

Dr Crokes were lucky to beat the Clare champions the last 3 years.

The bookies prices at the weekend were an insult to Cratloe and to Clare club football. For a team to be playing in a senior provincial final and be priced at 10/1 says it all.

The Gooch's second yellow card seemed extremely harsh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Gooch's second yellow card seemed extremely harsh!

both yellow cards were harsh the kerry lads went crazy over both calls they gave conor lane a bit of a recption as he left the field at the end i think it was followed by a mystery tweet from the dr crokes twitter page which is under investagation after some of the comments aimed at the ref and the munster council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I was at the Mount Leinster Rangers celebrations on Sunday night , and the Club secretary went through all the names on the cup . - the likes of Ballyhale Shamrocks , James Stephens , Buffers Alley , Camross ,

And they were so proud to have their name now added to this list of Leinster Champions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What was said?

The Carlow captain was asked in an interview about the league format and proposed changes etc. one of the results being that Carlow and I think Westmeath( not 100% on this) would be confined to the 3rd tier, he said this was very unfair and that special allowances were clearly being made simply because Cork had been relegated.

This delegate said that what would a carlow man know about hurling and said it was like One Direction telling Pavorotti how to sing, and that Carlow should mind their own business and concentrate on improving their own hurling.

Incidentally Tony Considine, another ignorant ''person'' made very similar comments and more or less told Carlow they should just keep out of it and worry about their own house. Both of these bufoons are obviously very unaware of the work that is and has been done in Carlow hurling over the last 10 years, and what amazed me was Considine getting involved considering where Clare hurling was 25 years ago, some people have very short memories indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It was worse than that, it was Jedward he compared Carlow to :pac:

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »

My bad, so you are saying One Direction are better than Jedward ummm interesting we should start a thread methinks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My bad, so you are saying One Direction are better than Jedward ummm interesting we should start a thread methinks :D

That is exactly the implication :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

keane2097 wrote: »
    He won't be held accountable by the board,i would think.
    He was for the reformart ,of the league,so they will be all about him.They wont comment on it.And he is not on the board,so they feel they dont have to answer for him.That is true too,but at the same time with Meyler as coach ,you would think they would have diffused the situation.

It showed hes knowlege of hurling,cork have always had past links with carlow hurling and a present link their.

I hope mount gabriel go all the way,but I think Na piarsaigh will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Stinicker wrote: »
    Dr. Crokes survived a late scare and had to dig deep to recover in the last 5 mins which saw Colm Cooper walk the line for a 2nd yellow and Cratloe sneak 1 point ahead as injury time beckoned. A tremendous show of resilience by Crokes to overturn the late deficit in the face of a powerful, fast and skilled young Cratloe team playing with decorated Clare hurlers. A massive point kicked by Johnny Buckley from 65 yards out secured Crokes their 3rd Munster title in a row by the slimmest of margins. 0-13 - 0-12

Looked nearer 30 yards out.

He won't be held accountable by the board,i would think.
    He was for the reformart ,of the league,so they will be all about him.They wont comment on it.And he is not on the board,so they feel they dont have to answer for him.That is true too,but at the same time with Meyler as coach ,you would think they would have diffused the situation.

It showed hes knowlege of hurling,cork have always had past links with carlow hurling and a present link their.

I hope mount gabriel go all the way,but I think Na piarsaigh will win it.

I think the delegate in question was actually from a football club and from what I have been told has never made any contribution or raised any comment on anything hurling related, the impression I got was that he was simply trying to get a cheap laugh, well if it is any consolation to him he suceeded unfortunately for him everyone is laughing at him.

I agree re the Cork County Board, they do come in for alot of abuse, some it justified, but really this had nothing to do with them.

Barry Moran's red card has been rescinded,proper order.Poor decision in the first place,won't surprise me if the Gooch's red card is also rescinded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Barry Moran's red card has been rescinded,proper order.Poor decision in the first place,won't surprise me if the Gooch's red card is also rescinded.

Wasn't it just two yellows? He won't miss the next game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

robbiezero wrote: »
    Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Moran nailed the Brigids player.
    It was a dangerous tackle
    Red Card.
    End of.

How two Castlebar players can get off their red cards, for two games in a row, is very dodgy.

Mea Culpa!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They were successful in appealing Kirby's red during the week and judging by the look of jubilation on Connacht secretary John Prentys face after the game i wouldn't bet against an appeal to the Connacht Council being successful

Barry Morgan red overturned you say......told Ye!!

This was only one of the few big calls Mr Duffy got correct on the day, and now Prenty and Co have worked the magic for the local boys again. I'd normally give full backing to any team out of connacht, but this stinks.
    Now we can see where the proposed 48 week ban for Frankie Dolan has come from.....complete smokescreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Red Card.
    End of.

How two Castlebar players can get off their red cards, for two games in a row, is very dodgy.
    There was no way Barry Moran's tackle should have been a red card.

I didn't see Kirby's sending off so I cannot comment on it (it was in an u21 final afaik), but a yellow would have been more then enough for the Moran tackle.

Was a disgraceful decision and correctly overturned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was a straight red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Frankie gets a 48-week ban, Garvan a 12-week one and Kirby (before the Connacht final) and Moran swiftly get their suspensions reduced and completely over-turned.

If Marty Duffy and the Connacht Council wanted to have their integrity openly questioned by everyone in the country, they've succeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

It was a straight red

No, it was 2 yellows. Was 20 yards away from it when it happened.

Syferus wrote: »
    Frankie gets a 48-week ban, Garvan a 12-week one and Kirby (before the Connacht final) and Moran swiftly get their suspensions reduced and completely over-turned.

If Marty Duffy and the Connacht Council wanted to have their integrity openly questioned by everyone in the country, they've succeeded.

Regardless of what went before, there is no way Moran should have been sent off!

I don't care what injustices Roscommon have suffered before, it would be plain wrong for a player to miss an All Ireland Semi Final for that tackle.

Its nothing to do with bias or a mayo Mafia taking over the Connacht Council, its actually common sense.

The Kirby one is obviously more dodgy, it being in an un-televised U21 game in Ballyhaunis on a Friday night, with only a few hundred people in attendance. One of the lads that I know from Castlebar was at it and said that the red was deserved, but I never asked him what happened.

But you shouldn't complain about this one being overturned.

No, it was 2 yellows. Was 20 yards away from it when it happened.

Well if it was two yellows then there would be nothing to overturn.

So it had to be a straight red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Well if it was two yellows then there would be nothing to overturn.

So it had to be a straight red

It. Was. Two. Yellows.
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Regardless of what went before, there is no way Moran should have been sent off!

I don't care what injustices Roscommon have suffered before, it would be plain wrong for a player to miss an All Ireland Semi Final for that tackle.

Its nothing to do with bias or a mayo Mafia taking over the Connacht Council, its actually common sense.

The Kirby one is obviously more dodgy, it being in an un-televised U21 game in Ballyhaunis on a Friday night, with only a few hundred people in attendance. One of the lads that I know from Castlebar was at it and said that the red was deserved, but I never asked him what happened.

But you shouldn't complain about this one being overturned.

Entirely an opinion, just like many, many calls in sport. And one even good old Marty himself disagreed with at the time.

The Connacht Council are a little too swift to revise certain decisions, both against players and on a organisational level for comfort. Being incredibly opaque and almost unaccountable certainly doesn't help.

It. Was. Two. Yellows.

OK
    Can someone please explain to me how two yellows results in a ban

I always thought that two yellows meant that you only missed the remainder of the game you were playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

OK
    Can someone please explain to me how two yellows results in a ban

I always thought that two yellows meant that you only missed the remainder of the game you were playing.

What ban? There is no ban. There was no ban. No ban was given. No ban will be given.

Colm Cooper is not banned for the All-Ireland club Semi final.

To clear this whole mess up.

Fr. Tod is talking about Barry Moran

Everyone else is talking about Gooch

Barry Moran received a straight Red Card which was rescinded

Cooper received 2 Yellows which is the end of that, no appeal needed.

• Advertisement

It. Was. Two. Yellows.

Entirely an opinion, just like many, many calls in sport. And one even good old Marty himself disagreed with at the time.

The Connacht Council are a little too swift to revise certain decisions, both against players and on a organisational level for comfort. Being incredibly opaque and almost unaccountable certainly doesn't help.
    You just invalidated your opinion by using Marty Duffy as backup to your argument ;) :P

I understand its an opinion, but I would be furious if a Kerry/Crokes player missed the game for a tackle like that. It was a run of the mill foul. I understand your frustrations with the Connacht Council, every county has their struggles with these often ineptly run systems. The CCCCCC, Munster/Leinster/Connacht/Ulster councils make baffling decisions every year.

To change tack slightly, did you feel that the tackle was worthy of a Red card? For me he's trying to put a shoulder in, doesn't place it well at all and hits the man in the chest. There was no malice in it at all, he didn't contact the head or face. It was reckless but not in my opinion dangerous.

I can see why Duffy might give a Red card, in real time it might look like he hits the Brigids player in the face, or that the elbow comes out, but thats why you have an appeals committee, to show the replays etc.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    To clear this whole mess up.

Fr. Tod is talking about Barry Moran

Everyone else is talking about Gooch

Barry Moran received a straight Red Card which was rescinded

Cooper received 2 Yellows which is the end of that, no appeal needed.

Thank you

I did not see the reference to Cooper in the first post about all this, I thought Moran was the only subject.

The Moran tackle on Mannion was a red card under 'dangerous play'.
    He lined him up and shouldered him in the middle of the chest. Doesn't matter if he didn't strike him. It was deliberate dangerous play.

Red card totally deserved.
    He should not be available for the next game.

The Moran tackle on Mannion was a red card under 'dangerous play'.
    He lined him up and shouldered him in the middle of the chest. Doesn't matter if he didn't strike him. It was deliberate dangerous play.

Red card totally deserved.
    He should not be available for the next game.
    If you are referring to Rule 5.3 "To behave in any way which is dangerous to an opponent." then you suddenly open up a long list of things that Red Cards should be given for.

Seán Cavenagh's rugby tackle could have broken the Monaghan players ankle.
    Rory O'Carroll's shoulder in the chest on (Lee Keegan?) could have dislocated his shoulder.
    Tom Cunniffe's hit on Peter Harte injured him, therefor it was dangerous, therefor it should have been a red card.

In fact you could pick out 10 potentially dangerous tackles from every single game and label it dangerous to an opponent.

For me it falls under "5.29 (a) To charge an opponent in the back or to the front." which the advice is:
    (i) Free kick from where the foul occurred
    except as provided under Exceptions of
    Rule 2.2.
    (ii) Caution offender for committing any of
    the above fouls a second time

So they don't even recommend a yellow card, unless he had done it previously.

All rules taken from: http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2012_Part2.pdf

Pages 74 - 79 if you want a read.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm from Kerry. I'm not Barry Moran's mammy wishing him to get off. It would be an easier game for Crokes if he was suspended, but I hate seeing a player suspended unjustly. That's not what the Gaa is about. The game is a physical one a big hits happen. That wasn't a cynical tackle. It wasn't sneaky, or dirty in my opinion. He lined it up wrong and got the man in the chest. A yellow card, and a warning from the ref to be careful would have sufficed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Red Card.
    End of.

Moran red card was harsh, surprised Alan Feeney punch on Frankie Dolan after 3 minutes wasn't cited?raised his hands deserved the line though Frankie is no angel either

Gael85 wrote: »
    Moran red card was harsh, surprised Alan Feeney punch on Frankie Dolan after 3 minutes wasn't cited?raised his hands deserved the line though Frankie is no angel either

agreed with this maybe the game might not have been so hot headed had the first incident been dealt with proparlry in the first place.
    and yeah if there was one thing about the south rosscomon men is that they were well able to mix it down through the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

No axe to grind against Castlebar or Barry Moran who I don't believe is a dirty player at all, but IMO that hit deserved a red..he had zero intention of playing the ball, he knew exactly what he was doing in my opinion and to be honest its the kind of dangerous play that a lot of us were ignoring for years, but can't be ignored any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Whats Frankies proposed 48 week ban for?

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Whats Frankies proposed 48 week ban for?

apparently he struck the 4th official after the game

• Advertisement

Class game in Tullamore at the moment.

3-6 to 2-6 to Portlaoise just after half time.

3-7 to 3-6.

End to end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Fantastic game, very difficult to call a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Two fantastic late scores from Mossy Quinn to seal it for Vins.

Vincents win by 3

3-12 to 3-9

Really tough game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

FT

St Vincents 3-12 Portlaoise 3-9

Terrific match.Although in my opinion most of the best individual displays came from Portlaoise players and they had more of the ball Vincents had that little bit more class when it mattered.There was about a 10 minute period towards the end when both teams were level and were tearing up and down the field and couldn't get a score and with about 3 minutes left Mossy Quinn and Dirmuid Connolly scored 2 big points to ewffectively seal the game and Ger Brennan won a great ball in the full back line when Portlaoise launched a long ball into the full forward line in injury time

• Advertisement

FT

St Vincents 3-12 Portlaoise 3-9

Terrific match.Although in my opinion most of the best individual displays came from Portlaoise players and they had more of the ball Vincents had that little bit more class when it mattered.There was about a 10 minute period towards the end when both teams were level and were tearing up and down the field and couldn't get a score and with about 3 minutes left Mossy Quinn and Dirmuid Connolly scored 2 big points to ewffectively seal the game and Ger Brennan won a great ball in the full back line when Portlaoise launched a long ball into the full forward line in injury time

Portlaoise became very lateral for the final 15 minutes which allowed Vins to get back to defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Portlaoise became very lateral for the final 15 minutes which allowed Vins to get back to defend.

Portlaoise were getting a bit of joy when the sent the ball in long but they didnt do it often enough.I'm surprise Kevin Fitzpatrick wasn't brought on earlier he would have been a great target man for the last 15 minutes or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Geraldines Louth won the Intermediate today with 0-12 0-10 replay win over the Dublin side (cant remember the name)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

yes good game but portlaoise got a soft goal in the first half to keep them in it, yes portlaoise had good displays, but i though Mossy Quinn and Ger Brennan won it for Vincents with their second half displays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Fancy Vincents to go all the way and win it now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement