Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manage curly hair?

• 29-09-2013 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

My child, age 22 months has lovely soft corkscrew curls. His hair is still quite short but the problem is that it turns into a total birds nest at the back after he has slept on it. We don't want to cut it but can't find a product to keep it frizz free.

Any ideas on how to manage it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭guillespe

A strong conditioner - I know it could be tempting but,i wouldnt go near any sprays or any gels or anything like that as the little fella could put his hand on his hair and into his mouth..As kids do!!

If you are looking for gels and sprays try to find some in a baby allergen free range if there are any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

It's strange as it seems almost better without a conditioner. I have been using Pantene.

I only wash it weekly so it's hard to keep right in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Conditioners reduce the frizz and help the curls form their defined natural shape (curly hair is naturally dry). Sleeping with a head-wrap on normally helps the curls from becoming matted/frizzy, but obviously with a young child it might be difficult for them to sleep with something on their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Could you use coconut oil as a conditioning treatment or use a tiny bit as a serum?

It's availible in tubs in Dunnes or health food stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I'm a naturally curly and so I've years of experience in trying to manage the dreaded pillow fuzz :p Dehydration and friction are the two causes.

A light weight conditioner will be great for him, the Johnson & Johnsons is kids stuff pretty good. And I'd personally be a bit wary of too much product on a little fella that young, what I use to refresh my curls at the back is a spray bottle with a bit of my conditioner and water, and then when they are damp just give them a scrunch or twist them about my fingers if the natural curl is very badly out of shape. Finger combing will be better than a brush or a comb day to day, and give him a good old thorough brushing at bath time when his hair has conditioner in it.

As for the friction element, most pillowcases are cotton and not only does it to a superb job of absorbing his natural hair oils making it drier, it also causes enough friction when he's sleeping to fuzz up the hair. A satin pillowcase made a serious difference to my hair and majorly reduced the amount of pillow fuzz I get as it doesn't absorb like cotton and the slippery surface of it doesn't agitate the hair when moving about in sleep.

Best of luck with his hair, sounds lovely :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I tried the coconut oil and it really stank. Is this to b used as a conditioner or use every day? I wash it weekly.

Advertisement