Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Toyota aventis any good ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

:o I have actually been pronouncing the name of the car as 'the Toyota Aventis' for years, dont know if I can change now...will try

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

03 avensis topping ould car. Have one 3 years now. Easy ran c40 mpg at normal driving about 25 mile commute plus other tipping about. Only spent on oil changed and brake discs and there is 120 k on it. Avoid 2001 early vvti models burn as much oil as petrol

Ah now unfair to say they burn as much oil as petrol but yeah you would definately want to keep an eye on the oil level especially in the earlier VVTI models. In fairness there aren't many if not any other 10 year old 1.6 litre cars with a body that size that will return circa 40mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Get
    Platinum
    Stellar Blue
    Night Sky Black
    Light olive

Avoid
    Solar red
    Autumn Bronze
    Oasis green
    Arctic white
    Coral Red

Why the colour choices?

Half the avensis's in ireland must be platinum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

raher1 wrote: »
    Name a few cars then? It's common knowledge French cars are soft.

I aint going to bother, only to have my suggestions ran down. No point if one isn't even going to consider a simple suggestion and dismiss an entire nation of cars over what was overheard by some baboons talking faeces.

And I particurarly dislike most French cars myself, for reasons most wouldn't understand or give a toss about. So I drive a French car as my daily car

Consider a Volvo S40 of that vintage with leather

Happy hunting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why the colour choices?

Half the avensis's in ireland must be platinum

Some are hard to keep clean, and others are simply worth less.
    The oasis green and coral are almost impossible to keep shiny and look awful unless they're clean. The solar red is said to have a lacquer problem (I'm not fully convinced but plenty peelers out there) some cars can pull white off, an avensis isn't one of them.

In 03 you could only really get blue black or platinum.

Best colours came on the 06 facelift, brocade red, storm bronze and lunar silver are easily the 3 best looking colours on that generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭raher1

dgt wrote: »
    I aint going to bother, only to have my suggestions ran down. No point if one isn't even going to consider a simple suggestion and dismiss an entire nation of cars over what was overheard by some baboons talking faeces.

And I particurarly dislike most French cars myself, for reasons most wouldn't understand or give a toss about. So I drive a French car as my daily car

Consider a Volvo S40 of that vintage with leather

Happy hunting ;)

Volvo jaysus. Don't be so sensitive man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

raher1 wrote: »
    Volvo jaysus. Don't be so sensitive man!

That's pretty much the kind of reply I was expecting. I love being right and getting people to play into my hands!

I stick by what I've suggested. But it ain't my back so I couldn't give a toss. I'll keep walking about while the rest are getting crippled in those balls of scrap, getting very sensitive pains in the back.....

Good luck either way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The Avensis is a far more stable and a far more comfortable car compared to an almera though.

It might well be all of that, but it doesn't change the fact that the seats are far from the Avensis's strongest point. While they're hardly uncomfortable, the lack of lumbar support is a pain and the seat base isn't great either. You can't beat a Volvo for decent seats (or most German cars - I happen to like firm seats).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

gone from cork to dublin three times in the last week in my avensis. It wont be long til she is at 150K.
    Has been great. Needed bulbs tyres clutch oil filters plugs (all of which are usually changed) and had the gear oil changed recently as the lad who did the clutch put the wrong oil into the gearbox.
    Would buy the same again.
    Mine is an 03 with the newer body.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd try and find a 1.8 Luna if you can. Running costs will be margin over the 1.6 and they have much better seats than in the Aura/Strata models. If memory serves me the Luna driver's seat had lumbar support.

• Advertisement

I test drove a luna in a garage a bit back (was lovely - would have bought it except the garage were giving me nothing for my own car)
    It will cost a few quid extra to tax though and if your young a bit extra on insurance too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    . If memory serves me the Luna driver's seat had lumbar support.

I'm thinking the luna got electric lumbar support in 2006... Don't think it had any before that.

the one i drove was an 05 and it didnt have lumbar support but had
    alloys
    electric windows all around
    mirrors that turn in when you stop the car
    the main mirror dimmed itself when traffic was behind you
    traction control

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It might well be all of that, but it doesn't change the fact that the seats are far from the Avensis's strongest point. While they're hardly uncomfortable, the lack of lumbar support is a pain and the seat base isn't great either. You can't beat a Volvo for decent seats (or most German cars - I happen to like firm seats).
    Maybe the s60 and the s80 have comfortable seats, however I find the charisma based s40 to have very uncomfortable seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Truckermal wrote: »
    A 1.6 avensis won't be much better then as it will be well up the rev counter at 120 and guzzling petrol. What about a Mazda 6? They are a good bit cheaper too albeit a 1.8 engine.
    Those mazda 6s like their drop of petrol too:)

If it is motorway driving at 75mph I get 450 miles between filling up and the light coming on (50-52 Liters) in my 1.6. Thats about 40mpg.
    Anyone who comments on how a car does in terms of mpg should have some experience rather than spouting rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭raher1

With all over talking over the car, the dealer had sol it. Thanks for the advise anyway.

There'll be more.

Advertisement