Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

people supporting inter county teams

• 29-09-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Whats your reason for supporting an Inter County Team? For me i support Cork because its where i was born and where I live.

I know one person who was born in Cork lives in Kerry but has a huge hatred of Cork. He supports Waterford in the hurling (no reason to)and Kerry in football and any team that plays against Cork. If i was living in Kerry or married to a kerry woman i would support them anytime Cork werent playing.

Do people support a county for no reason even with no connections to that county?

Thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A friend of mine from Fermoy supports Waterford in the hurling. She spent most of her childhood in Waterford though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

lertsnim wrote: »
    A friend of mine from Fermoy supports Waterford in the hurling. She spent most of her childhood in Waterford though.

She has a connection there though which is understandable why she supports Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Some people support Manchester Utd., even though they were never in Manchester in their lives. Find that hard to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

The county where you grew up, it gets complicated when a father moves to a different county and then takes his children to watch his home counties games.
    One thing I don't always understand is 'county pride', I live near the border of two different counties, I have no connection with the other half of my own county, I know people who hate my county yet they went to school in it and spend a great deal of their time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Some people support Manchester Utd., even though they were never in Manchester in their lives. Find that hard to understand.

or Liverpool, or arsenal, or Milan etc. football is a global game, different ball game, literally!
    most people will support the county of their birth, or have family connections with, live/work in etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Support my own county (Mayo) in the football and Galway in the hurling (been to Galways last two AI hurling finals). Have a soft spot for my mothers county, Leitrim and generally support any Connacht team when they are not playing Mayo. Have a general dislike for Roscommon though as went to secondary school with Ross people and they took too much enjoyment when we were beaten in 96 & 97. Still roared them on in the AI minor final in 2006 though that was easy as we had a common rival in Kerry on the day. Developing a grá for Dublin hurlers as living and playing hurling with a Dublin club these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I'm from Donegal and I'm a mad Mayo fan.

My mum and dad are from Mayo and I spent a lot of my childhood holidays down there. I've a lot of family there and it's one of the greatest places I've ever been to. From the age of about 5 my dad took me to Mayo games in McHale Park and I was brought up to support them. After a few years we'd go to league games in Derry, Tyrone and Ballybofey.

I've got loads of people come up to me and wonder why I'm wearing a Mayo jersey when I'm from Donegal. All I can really say is that I was brought up to support Mayo.

I've loved following them since I can remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I was born and bred in Ennis though I don't support Eire Og (sorry Shane O'Donnell) :D
    Obviously I support Clare
    I went to college in Galway
    Used to work in Limerick
    Parents are from Roscommon & Leitrim so while I'd follow the Clare Hurlers to hell & back (the footballers don't do much unfortunately) I'd cheer for the Rossies or Leitrim against any other team (except Clare) and if those three are out Galway or Limerick

Having said that I cheered for Dalo's Dublin against KK but that's just because of Dalo, would have been the same with Bakers Offaly

And no matter who's against them I'd never support Tipp (thanks to Nicky English in '93) or Cork (thanks to the rabid Rebel neighbours)

So it's complicated :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm from Offaly and I support Offaly, simple as that.If I was from Westmeath I'd support them.

In my opinion its completely daft to support a county that your not brought up in or living in.There is a reason teams are named after towns/counties/cities etc as they represent the people from those places and not people from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I was born and bred in Wexford and even if I moved to another county for the rest of my life I'll always be a yellowbelly. Have no love whatsoever for any other county in GAA terms.

Can't get my head around people supporting a county that's not their own but whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I am from Dublin, so I support Dublin. I have connections to Roscommon and Galway, so I keep an eye on them too. I like to see underdogs and teams with less success do well, so it was good to see Clare beat Cork, and but for they were playing Dublin, I'd like to have seen Mayo win.

As to supporting soccer clubs in England and other places, I don't support any team. I can however still enjoy watching matches as a neutral. You don't need to have a team to follow to enjoy a sport. People typically follow successful teams, so it is not really built on any loyalty. As GAA fans we support our counties no matter how good they are. It is my county, so I support them. In GAA someone from a weak county doesn't transfer their loyalties to successful counties. From the womb to the tomb, that is the way to support a team.

The players in GAA, with very few exceptions, are that way too. That brings a passion to their play that nothing else can, not even a big pay cheque. Soccer players don't have that kind of loyalty. They follow the pay cheques around with no strong affinity or loyalty to their team. Only when they play for their country, does anything like that happen in their realm. It is something that sets our games, our players and our fans apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I was born in Kilkenny and lived there until I was two. I was brought up in Kerry and now live in Clare.

I support Kerry in the football and Clare in the hurling. On a night like tonight it's easy to support Clare. Ennis has gone mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Aineoil wrote: »
    I was born in Kilkenny and lived there until I was two. I was brought up in Kerry and now live in Clare.

I support Kerry in the football and Clare in the hurling. On a night like tonight it's easy to support Clare. Ennis has gone mad!

Do you support KK at all?

Amprodude wrote: »
    Do you support KK at all?

I used to when I was younger. I am of a.. ahem..certain vintage age wise (old).

I loved Kilkenny when the likes of Eddie Kerr played and the early years of DJ Carey's career. I have great respect for DJ.

I still follow KK but in the last 10 years I don't care about the team as much as I used to. Maybe it's because I live in Clare now.

If Kilkenny were playing Clare yesterday, I would have wanted Clare to win.:D

Don't tell my uncles, aunts and cousins in Kilkenny! They'd kill me!

If Kerry were playing any sort of a game, against anyone, I would support Kerry all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Because it's where I was born and bred. No familial confusion either; all Roscommonn.

The bond between someone and their county team is perhaps the most intimate relationship possible in world sports. They litherally are you and you are them. In most counties the county team is also the most tangible representation of your county as an entity. It's a special connection that, for me, has only grown with time.

We are very lucky as sports fans to have been born in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

There's a guy down the road from us here in Kilkenny. Kilkenny born and bred. Hardly ever sets foot outside the county, loves his hurling, loves following the club.

Yet he supports and is as mad about Tipp as a Thurles man would be.

I can't figure it out, I find it mental, it pains me to even think about how a hurling mad Kilkenny man born and bred could place his allegiance to another county, never mind Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I'm born and bred in Louth, my dad is from here but never had any interest in football but my mum is from Wexford, I spent all my hols there with all my relations and going to plenty of matches so I'd class myself as a yellow belly.
    DH is from Monaghan so would go to quite a few games with him, would probably support them over Louth too

randd1 wrote: »
    There's a guy down the road from us here in Kilkenny. Kilkenny born and bred. Hardly ever sets foot outside the county, loves his hurling, loves following the club.

I can't figure it out, I find it mental, it pains me to even think about how a hurling mad Kilkenny man born and bred could place his allegiance to another county, never mind Tipp.

That's strange.......on many levels

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Anyone but Dublin!!!!

freddiek wrote: »
    Anyone but Dublin!!!!

But if you are from Kerry that's the mantra, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

The county where you grew up, it gets complicated when a father moves to a different county and then takes his children to watch his home counties games.
    One thing I don't always understand is 'county pride', I live near the border of two different counties, I have no connection with the other half of my own county, I know people who hate my county yet they went to school in it and spend a great deal of their time there.

Tipperary?

Tipperary?

Derry, close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I was born and bred in Wexford and even if I moved to another county for the rest of my life I'll always be a yellowbelly. Have no love whatsoever for any other county in GAA terms.

Can't get my head around people supporting a county that's not their own but whatever floats your boat.

So no interest in any game when Wexford aren't playing ? What about Dublin v Kilkenny this year ? No joy in seeing KK being bet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Born and reared in Limerick, so my allegiance is only to them in hurling & football. My cousin plays for the Limerick footballers and my other cousin is married to one. So it's been difficult seeing them come agonisingly close to winning Munster this past decade. I'm from a hurling club though so hurling is my priority.

Another cousin again is married to a hurling mad Waterford supporter so I like to see them do well, as well as Galway in the football (always thought Galway produced very stylish footballers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Following another sport like soccer is like religion to them. Plenty of people go to mass and pray but how many of them have been to Rome?
    Amprodude wrote: »
    its where i was born and where I live.
    That should be the answer for most however as been said already you could be moved around the place and have connections with others but its where you kick your first football that matters most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Born and live in Galway. Support Galway. End of!

Both parents from Mayo. I hate Mayo!! Worked in Mayo for years & lived there
    for 3 years.
    My Dad hated Galway Footballers but loved Galway Hurlers.
    That's my story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Support Mayo and New York in football (Was born in New York, grew up in Mayo). So for what its worth, I'm a Mayo fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

From Meath support Meath. Hate everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Born in kildare, Support Kildare. My son has a meath mammy, a kildare daddy, was born in westmeath & lives in offaly... have no idea what way hes going to fare out (he was bought a Kildare jersey at a week old)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

funny, this "being born" thing seems to be made out to be relevant but actually isnt.
    If you are in Longford you'll be born in Westmeath as thats the local maternity hospital.
    If youre in Monaghan you'll be born in Cavan or Louth as they are the designated hospital locations.
    And as for northern ireland. Sure they don't even have counties as an administrative region any more so the idea of having a hospital per county just doesnt even occur to them as being logical.

Its also arguably the reason why the GAA rule book now refers to first club rather than where you're born as thats actually a far better indication of your allegances than the location of the nearest maternity hospital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I live in Clare and wouldn't follow any other team. When it comes to matches your own county aren't playing you might have a preferred winner alright, like shouting for Mayo over Dublin or visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

angelfire9 wrote: »
    And no matter who's against them I'd never support Tipp (thanks to Nicky English in '93)

A myth created by Ger logh but it worked I guess.

A myth created by Ger logh but it worked I guess.

No myth I was in the Gaelic Grounds that day those blasted teeth of his must have been professionally whitened just for that day :rolleyes:

funny, this "being born" thing seems to be made out to be relevant but actually isnt.
    If you are in Longford you'll be born in Westmeath as thats the local maternity hospital.
    If youre in Monaghan you'll be born in Cavan or Louth as they are the designated hospital locations.
    And as for northern ireland. Sure they don't even have counties as an administrative region any more so the idea of having a hospital per county just doesnt even occur to them as being logical.

Its also arguably the reason why the GAA rule book now refers to first club rather than where you're born as thats actually a far better indication of your allegances than the location of the nearest maternity hospital!

I was born in Clare we had a maternity hospital back then :o
    I don't play for my first club anymore different club same town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Born and bred Dub. Been to every championship game and most league games for about 10 years now.

My mother hails from Tipp though so I will shout for them if they aren't playing Dublin. Spent plenty of time down there growing up and a lot of trips down to Thurles/Limerick/Cork to watch games and spend time with family, so I do follow Tipp hurling a fair bit.

• Advertisement

i was born in my own county of derry but the maternity secton of the hospital has since shut down and births are now in antrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

angelfire9 wrote: »
    No myth I was in the Gaelic Grounds that day those blasted teeth of his must have been professionally whitened just for that day :rolleyes:

What he was smiling at is the myth, Loughnane tried to sully he's name by claiming that Nicky was laughing at Clare which was a blatant lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Following another sport like soccer is like religion to them. Plenty of people go to mass and pray but how many of them have been to Rome?
    That doesnt quite work, its akin to a religious person only watching mass on TV and never going along themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Only support Dublin. Don't have any connections to other counties really. I have a Cavan grandfather, but he died long before I was born & I never visited there as a kid, so I don't have an emotional connection to the place. His son (my dad) wasn't a big GAA man, so I never rooted for Cavan just because he did.

If one of Dublin's traditional rivals, such as Meath or Kerry are playing, I'd generally root for whoever they are playing against. But I found myself cheering for Meath in their Leinster champo game against Kildare last year, so go figure ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Given the terrible turn out at the Cork hurlers' homecoming last night, it seems even people from Cork aren't bothered about supporting them.

I don't normally criticise fans from other counties but if the reports of only around 1,000 coming to see them home after their loss on Saturday, that's pretty sad. I know it was a wet evening and the ladies' football had been on but I genuinely don't think they were the reasons the majority of people didn't come out to show their support.

Those lads deserved far more- I'd say they would have been dreading the homecoming and would have probably preferred to just go straight home, but they didn't- they came out to meet their fans, and where were the fans? Certainly not there to support them anyway. Shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

gammygils wrote: »
    Born and live in Galway. Support Galway. End of!

Both parents from Mayo. I hate Mayo!! Worked in Mayo for years & lived there
    for 3 years.
    My Dad hated Galway Footballers but loved Galway Hurlers.
    That's my story.

A lot of Mayo people would support the Galway hurlers in my experience.

Actually know a family in Galway where all the (now adult) children support Mayo despite all being born and raised in Galway. Think one or both of the parents are from Mayo. All mad Mayo fans. No interest in Galway at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

As a die-hard Clare fan, the idea of supporting another county over your own is alien to me. Love hurling but i'd follow the footballers as well (even if we'll only play two games every summer).

Now, when Clare aren't playing, it's a different story. My girlfriend is from Galway and has Donegal connections so i'd follow them a bit. I always have a soft spot for underdogs and developing counties so Iv'e interest in the other tier cups and Kerry hurling in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

131spanner wrote: »
    I live in Clare and wouldn't follow any other team. When it comes to matches your own county aren't playing you might have a preferred winner alright, like shouting for Mayo over Dublin or visa versa.

+1, I enjoy a good game and would normally prefer to see one team win. i shouted for Tipp in 09 and Galway last year (I dont think I would shout for Galway any more after what I have heard in the meantime). I would like to have seen Mayo win but they made a balls of it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Born in Limerick, have lived in Limerick all my life, both my parents were born in Limerick...although my father would probably consider himself from Dublin. Still, I support Limerick. In everything.

Hate every other county :D

(I don't actually hate others...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler95

As a proud Meathman , the only time I support Dublin is when they are playing Louth ......

I Say you could you can find that out for yourself !!

All the soccerheads who never attended a gaa match turned out in their drones at that leinster final ....

Rightful champions though they were it must be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Born in Limerick, have lived in Limerick all my life, both my parents were born in Limerick...although my father would probably consider himself from Dublin. Still, I support Limerick. In everything.

Hate every other county :D

(I don't actually hate others...)

Ditto but always had a soft spot for Mayo as they remind me of a football version of Limerick hurling team only they've had it much worse.

Also, if I'm not too old to have a favourite player ( which I am ) it's Keith Higgins. Really good footballer playing in the most hateful position & still makes a huge effort to play hurling with Mayo.

If Limerick were playing Mayo in hurling tomorrow morning & the game was close, I'd nearly like to see Mayo win.

Same applies to Kerry hurlers & nearly actually happened in a qualifier down in Tralee around 2003.

Do not like the Kerry footballers though, too much heartbreaking & also demoralising wins over Limerick.

Wait not ditto on my father thinking he's a dub & have recently moved from Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

What makes me wonder is people supporting one county in football and another county in Hurling, a fella from Mayo for example living in Tipperary supporting Mayo in football and Tipp in hurling.

Its not our fault Mayo for example are not able to play hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

relaxed wrote: »
    What makes me wonder is people supporting one county in football and another county in Hurling, a fella from Mayo for example living in Tipperary supporting Mayo in football and Tipp in hurling.

Its not our fault Mayo for example are not able to play hurling.

What are you talking about? Mayo play in Division 2B of the league and in the summer they compete for the Christy Ring cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Born and bred in Dublin and have followed Dublin all my life. Try to get to as many games as possible in League and Champo. Have a parnell season ticket aswell. Have a soft spot for Limerick though as my father is from Limerick and I have spend many a summer down their in my youth saving the hay during the summer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

randd1 wrote: »

:)

For the Dublin Kerry semi a few weeks ago we were in the Big Tree before the match and a guy comes up to us( a few Dubs ) in a Kerry jersey. We were expecting some of the usual banter and slagging.
    Imagine our bemusement to hear the bloke speak with the dirtiest Dublin accent you could imagine, tell us that he couldn't stand Dublin, its people and he hoped Dublin got hammered later.

Bizarre wasn't the word. We went easy on him but I can't imagine others would have!

• Advertisement
Advertisement