Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

people supporting inter county teams

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

A myth created by Ger logh but it worked I guess.

Reminds me of his great quote..

"I'm not giving away any secrets like that to Tipperary. If I had my way, I wouldn't even tell them the time of the throw-in"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

anbrutog wrote: »
    :)

For the Dublin Kerry semi a few weeks ago we were in the Big Tree before the match and a guy comes up to us( a few Dubs ) in a Kerry jersey. We were expecting some of the usual banter and slagging.
    Imagine our bemusement to hear the bloke speak with the dirtiest Dublin accent you could imagine, tell us that he couldn't stand Dublin, its people and he hoped Dublin got hammered later.

Bizarre wasn't the word. We went easy on him but I can't imagine others would have!

I hate bandwagon supporters. I work in Kerry and one girl i work with would not stop slagging and taunting me about Clare beating Cork etc. Now i have no problem with slagging, i do a bit of it myself with other genuine GAA followers its great banter but what i hate is people who arent genuine gaa supporters doing it. This girl wouldnt know what a hurley was if it hit her in the backside or a football for that matter.She doesnt watch the games, She knows nothing about GAA, not an iota but just following the bandwagon and making more noise about it than any genuine gaa followers there. She wouldnt be able to name a player that played on Sunday, its those type of people i cannot tolerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Amprodude wrote: »
    I hate bandwagon supporters. I work in Kerry and one girl i work with would not stop slagging and taunting me about Clare beating Cork etc. Now i have no problem with slagging, i do a bit of it myself with other genuine GAA followers its great banter but what i hate is people who arent genuine gaa supporters doing it. This girl wouldnt know what a hurley was if it hit her in the backside or a football for that matter.She doesnt watch the games, She knows nothing about GAA, not an iota but just following the bandwagon and making more noise about it than any genuine gaa followers there. She wouldnt be able to name a player that played on Sunday, its those type of people i cannot tolerate.

I'd say she fancies you.......Go on ask her out......Go on I dare ya.....Nothing to lose bar your pride and the all-Ireland in the same week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Proper mongrel style person here:

Paternal grandfather was born in New York, but spent much of his formative years in Mayo, before being stationed (he was a Garda) in Monaghan, Louth and Dublin. Paternal grandmother was born and grew up in Antrim, but spent much of her adult life living in Monaghan, Louth, Dublin and finally Wicklow. Mother was born in Monaghan, childhood/teens in Louth, teens/early adulthood in Dublin, then to Wicklow, then back to Dublin for a bit, then finally to Wicklow again.

Maternal grandfather is from Wexford, but lived most of his life in Wicklow. Maternal grandmother was born in Waterford, spent her childhood and early adulthood in Wexford and lived out the rest of her life in Wicklow. Father was born in Wicklow, lived briefly in Dublin, then back to Wicklow.

I was born in Dublin, spent several childhood years there, have tons of relations there, worked in Dublin for years and I'm currently living in Wicklow (waiting for rental prices to come down a bit in Dublin... :P).

The first county jersey put on my back as a young lad was a Dublin jersey. First game I was ever at was a Kilmacud Crokes game. First inter-county game I was at was the 1995 All Ireland Semi-Final between Dublin and Cork. The first All Ireland Final I was ever at was the '95 final, Dublin v. Tyrone with Dublin triumphing by a point. I have uncles, aunts, cousins and rakes of other relations living in Dublin and spend a lot of time up there.

Last count, I have a grand total of 9 counties I could have an allegiance to (Dublin, Wicklow, Mayo, Monaghan, Louth, Antrim, Wexford, Waterford, New York [:P]). Jesus.

The reason I support Dublin so much is that it was where I was born and where I spent some of my formative years. I was also just hitting the "right" age to start following football surrounding Dublin's triumph in 1995; I still remember that day as clear as if it was yesterday and I was only 7 at the time. My relations got me into it and have brought me to games in the past, have gotten me the jerseys, got me to meet the players, etc. I still have my first Dublin jersey from 1994, I still have the programme and ticket from the '95 Final (and a mess of other games including the finals in '11 and last week).

People often give out to me saying that I don't support Mayo/Antrim/Monaghan/Louth/Wexford/Waterford/whatever. Am I supposed to pledge my support for like a third of the counties in f*ckin' Ireland?! It ain't my fault I'm a pure-bred mongrel with no real roots! :o

I do follow another team more closely. Obviously, living there and being involved in a club there, I'll support Wicklow. That was some trip up to Armagh this year, btw. F*ck me.

But I will never leave or abandon what was drilled into me as a kid. I love the Dubs. Always have. Always will. I get slagged off over it, get called a winner-picker, a glory-hunting fan, a fair weather fan, a traitor... take your pick.

I stood in frozen fog earlier in the year as the Dublin v. Mayo game got called off. I was there in the driving rain, stood getting saturated on the Hill, as Tyrone tore Dublin apart with ease in the 2008 quarter final. I was there for the heartbreak of losing the League final in 2011. I got my picture in the paper for looking so forlorn in 2009 after Kerry came to town and whooped ass to the tune of 17 points. I saw Cossie's free hit the post to deny Dublin a replay against Armagh in 2002.

I saw the heartbreak for years. I never failed to go to games. Fair enough, reward finally came in the form of an All Ireland in 2011. But that made it worse. I was REALLY a glory hunter and winner picker then. The resentment and vitriol I got off some people was stunning.

Call me what you want, I never give anything less than 100% when supporting Dublin. It's where I was born, where I lived (and where I'd probably still be living were it not for work commitments of my family) and where most of my family now resides. It is what I was shown and taught as a kid. It is what will stay with me forever.

Sure, I have family in Louth, Antrim, Mayo, Wexford, Waterford, Monaghan. None of them sent me jerseys. None of them were insisting I should support them (until my allegiance to Dublin comes out). But my family in Dublin put the effort in and got me into the GAA when I was a young lad. And I've stuck with it, through the bad times and it was so worth it for the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

anbrutog wrote: »
    :)

For the Dublin Kerry semi a few weeks ago we were in the Big Tree before the match and a guy comes up to us( a few Dubs ) in a Kerry jersey. We were expecting some of the usual banter and slagging.
    Imagine our bemusement to hear the bloke speak with the dirtiest Dublin accent you could imagine, tell us that he couldn't stand Dublin, its people and he hoped Dublin got hammered later.

Bizarre wasn't the word. We went easy on him but I can't imagine others would have!

Yeah used to work with a lad from Firhouse and was a proper ABD. Hated the Dubs and always cheered against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

iDave wrote: »
    Yeah used to work with a lad from Firhouse and was a proper ABD. Hated the Dubs and always cheered against them.

I have a cousin, born and bread in Dublin, loved the Dubs, was at all the games in the 70's and 80's, didn't get a ticket to the '83 final...moved to Trim, 'Up the Royals', 'HATES the Dubs', spent all the 00's telling me what an 'overhyped' so and so they are...Haven't heard a word in 2 years!

My cousin is a clown.

True story!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I have a cousin, born and bread in Dublin, loved the Dubs, was at all the games in the 70's and 80's, didn't get a ticket to the '83 final...moved to Trim, 'Up the Royals', 'HATES the Dubs', spent all the 00's telling me what an 'overhyped' so and so they are...Haven't heard a word in 2 years!

My cousin is a clown.

True story!

Bizarre although most 'foreigners' in Trim tend to be even more anti-Meath than people in their own home counties.
    I moved in the opposite direction Trim to Dublin. Still love the Royals

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Born and bred Dub. My grandparents are from Offaly, Galway and Mayo. I like to see them do well against anyone but Dublin.
    Other than that, Any team playing Cork/Kerry gets my full support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

toffeeshel wrote: »
    I'd say she fancies you.......Go on ask her out......Go on I dare ya.....Nothing to lose bar your pride and the all-Ireland in the same week!

Christ i ve had enough for one week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I'm from Donegal and I'm a mad Mayo fan.

My mum and dad are from Mayo and I spent a lot of my childhood holidays down there. I've a lot of family there and it's one of the greatest places I've ever been to. From the age of about 5 my dad took me to Mayo games in McHale Park and I was brought up to support them. After a few years we'd go to league games in Derry, Tyrone and Ballybofey.

I've got loads of people come up to me and wonder why I'm wearing a Mayo jersey when I'm from Donegal. All I can really say is that I was brought up to support Mayo.

I've loved following them since I can remember!

So did you support Mayo over your native Donegal in last years AIF??

Bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Mayo all the way, from there so that's a no-brainer!

My mother is from Roscommon though so have a soft spot for them as well, have jerseys and all!
    There is something endearing about the Rossies as well, I have to say they have some great fans.

And I hate the Galway footballers seeing as I live close to the border!
    I like to see their hurlers do well though and have gone to games to support them.

I will also shout for anyone playing Kerry (even Galway)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Deskjockey wrote: »
    So did you support Mayo over your native Donegal in last years AIF??

Bizarre

Mayo. Through and through.

I was just brought up that way. The first games I can remember were Mayo ones. I loved going to games in McHale park. My dad supported Mayo so I thought that's who I was supposed to support. It grew from there really. Even when I was a kid everyone knew I had Mayo connections. It doesn't seem that strange to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

4 generations of my family have played for Kerry.

Supporting any other county was not really an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Quare one here.
    Dublin born (as it was closest from Dads work to hospital I believe), lived first years in Meath, then brought up in Mayo from toddler til finished school. Went to college in Limerick, then first worked in Cork & now living & working in Galway.
    Dad brought me to Meath matches when younger, his friend brought me to league & championship games in McHale Park, the Hyde & Markievic Park to make up for that.
    Played underage hurling & soccer with Mayo, but was never good enough to get close to the football squad.

As a kid I supported both Mayo & Meath, and I guess Meath winning 87 & 88 finals pushed me more in that direction, while I would still roar on Mayo as far as they got every year.
    Difficult one in 96, I chose Meath based on childhood allegiance (and partly for the annoyance it gave my sisters), but would have happily seen Mayo win it, and it should have been Mayo's year to be fair.

Been to all Mayo's losing finals since 90s bar 2006, only missed the London game this year as I was out of the country.
    To be honest, with aging my allegiance has switched back to my real home county of Mayo - having grown up there, I just identify more with Mayo than my Dad's home county of Meath.

Will be looking to get the season ticket this year to ensure I don't have any ticket worries when September comes around again.

Hurling wise, would support Galway as cousins from there & went to a few All-Ireland semis with them in the 80s. Also have a soft spot for Waterford as they have suffered almost as badly in hurling as Mayo in football.

Don't really hate any teams but don't like Tipperary - sole reason is the 96 minor hurling final replay played ahead of the football replay. Tipp fullback on the day pulled across the Galway full forward's head with the ball down the other end of the pitch, knocked him unconscious for a bit if I remember correctly.
    Couldn't believe it when the umpires didn't advise the ref to send him off & he stayed on the pitch.

Would prefer the underdog (or less successful team) to prevail in most matches, so like to see Clare beating Cork, Killkenny getting dumped out this year and it was nice to see Monaghan triumph in Ulster.
    Would also be nice to see someone other than Cork/Kerry win the football in Munster at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Mayo. Through and through.

I was just brought up that way. The first games I can remember were Mayo ones. I loved going to games in McHale park. My dad supported Mayo so I thought that's who I was supposed to support. It grew from there really. Even when I was a kid everyone knew I had Mayo connections. It doesn't seem that strange to me.

Fair nuff. Better than supporting Man Utd / Liverpool I suppose for no good reason. Must have been mad coming home from the final last year all the same with everyone delighted and you're down in the dumps :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm from Offaly

You poor b@stard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Fair nuff. Better than supporting Man Utd / Liverpool I suppose for no good reason. Must have been mad coming home from the final last year all the same with everyone delighted and you're down in the dumps :D

Aw don't start. It didn't help that my closest friends were the county's best wind-up merchants!
    I was content enough that Donegal won cos they were delighted with it. They know how to celebrate up there. But I was more heartbroken by the mayo loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Limestone1 wrote: »
    So no interest in any game when Wexford aren't playing ? What about Dublin v Kilkenny this year ? No joy in seeing KK being bet ?

Of course I have an interest when Wexford aren't playing, I love watching games but wouldn't take any sides.

It was nice to see them beat but tbh I would have preferred if it was someone other than Dublin.

Advertisement