Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing dog food - things to think about

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

maggiepip wrote: »
    Ive been using zooplus monthly for my dog and cat food for ages now and I always get my order within 5 working days. They are an excellent company with great customer service. Only once did an order go missing and it was replaced (free of charge obviously) quickly and hassle free by zooplus. Id be lost without them.

+1 never any problems using GLS as the courier although I had one or two go missing with DHL - but they were resent no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Confession time after all our musing re what dog food to go one we have decided to try Skinners. I looked at the cost of it on Amazon, prompted by other threads on this site, and the price was just too good not to try out.

So so much for Irish made, convenient to pick up locally, etc, etc.

Hope it works out now for them all. If it doesn't work with the grey I will leave her on leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

In exile, my grey has been on Skinners at least a year now and has done very well on it - the duck, salmon and turkey varieties :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Hi All,

Hoping for help here, Long story boring so be careful.

We have 3 dogs:

10 YO F greyhound ; 5 YO M spaniel/setter mix ; 3 yo M terrier mix

greyhound is a good eater, spaniel is borderline underweight - forgets to eat regularly and the terrier is a holy terror and overweight.

I want to change their food - in particular I want to start buying a good quality dry food.

I currently buy greyhound mince from my butcher and cook it with rice and feed it with Tesco complete - they wont eat pedigree and love the Tesco chicken and rice.

The greyhound will not under any circumstances eat raw meat, the other two love it and as a treat I would buy them a lambs heart. Her digestive system can be tricky if she eats anything like tinned dog food.

I have space and a large freezer to store food and meat and buy online - wilst I now live in a very rural area _ I would be happy to order online.

What would you recommend in the way of good quality dry food - is there one that would fit all three?

Also - a friend recommended a joint aid she gets from her vet for the greyhound - she cannot remember the name of it - says it comes like an oxo but jelly like.

we had a dog die of cancer and we used to cook a chicken and feed them chicken and rice also,

need some good advice and recommendations please,

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh help me then. :D

I did raw feed, but found it hard to keep up all the time. So now I'm doing a combination of raw feeding when I get to the butchers, cooked at home food (rice, potato, veg, mince or tinned dog food mixed in) and dry feeding. I'm a big fan of variety in their diet.

The dry food, I'm sorry to say, is whatever is on the supermarket shelf when I run out of fresh ingredients - simply because it was never part of the feeding plan. It never really bothered me because it happened once or twice a month. Lately however it's had to be a bit more often so I'd like to get a good quality dry in. However - it must be less than €50 a bag.

Any suggestions?

If you're still looking and assuming its just for every now again (so you don't break the bank!) have you thought of Naturediet? I've been feeding it to the puppy to bulk out her raw food and get some weight on her - she's growing like a weed so not easy lol! It's not that expensive - you can get it for less than €1 a tray and ingrediants are pretty good. Also it doesn't take up space in the fridge/freezer and won't go off in a few months like an opened bag of dry food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lazeedaisy, I use ARTHRIAID from nutri-science.net (an Irish company, you could call them for stockists near you, or use their online shop) - my elderly dog with very difficult gastric & allergy problemS has been taking it for over a year. I definately see an improvement in the arthritis in his shoulder.

The other questions re food - you will get some more expert advice from the more knowledgable, but TASTE OF THE WILD, JAMES WELLBELOVED, ARDEN GRANGE are all good. There is a response earlier in this thread, from Nody had lots of suggestions - let us know what you choose/pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm just changing some of my dogs onto Royal Canin 4300, which is a high energy food not available in shops, but through a Mushers Scheme, 17kg bags delivered. I'm putting the dogs that work hard onto it, the rest will be staying on Massbrook, which I am happy with, but feel that the hard working dogs just need something extra, and having won a few bags of the RC at previous rallies, I really liked the effect it had on the dogs. I've been feeding Massbrook Trial and Working Dog, the price is great, the dogs always eat it, and the poos are great.

Nody, not sure if you didn't see my question, but was wondering where you have seen commercials for RC, as I have honestly never seen one on TV etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

muddypaws wrote: »
    Nody, not sure if you didn't see my question, but was wondering where you have seen commercials for RC, as I have honestly never seen one on TV etc.
    Walked in to any vet recently? Plastered on every wall, pamplets in the sitting area and even in vaccination card we got was from RC. Walked in on a cat show (not attended a dog show in ages so can't speak for dogs or other animals) and were greeted with Free RC sample packages, RC banners at all prominent locations. That's all advertising.

As a side note on the RC4300 food content:
    COMPOSITION: rice, dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, vegetable protein isolate*, maize gluten, minerals, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable fibres, beet pulp, fish oil, soya oil, copra oil, psyllium husks and seeds, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin).

ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 28% - Fat content: 21% - Crude ash: 7.6% - Crude fibres: 2.7%

Applaws run at:
    protein fat fibre
    37.0% 19.0% 4.5%

ToTW
    protein fat fibre
    33.6% 18.0% 2.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Nody wrote: »
    Walked in to any vet recently? Plastered on every wall, pamplets in the sitting area and even in vaccination card we got was from RC. Walked in on a cat show (not attended a dog show in ages so can't speak for dogs or other animals) and were greeted with Free RC sample packages, RC banners at all prominent locations. That's all advertising.

As a side note on the RC4300 food content:

Applaws run at:
    protein fat fibre
    37.0% 19.0% 4.5%

ToTW
    protein fat fibre
    33.6% 18.0% 2.5%

I don't have an issue with rice as a main ingredient, knowing a bit about nutrition, and the digestive system of the dog, sibes in particular, and knowing lots of people who own sled dogs that feed this particular food and have done for years, with very healthy, fit dogs. :)

Yes, the brands are in vets etc, although having been at my vet this morning, I didn't see RC anywhere on any of the walls, they do have Hills and some others. And, without the kind of promotion you mention, i.e. the banners at shows, those shows wouldn't be able to run, they cost money to put on, and sponsorship is key. Personally I'd rather have companies putting their money into those kind of events, being part of the national microchipping month etc, than not see them run at all due to lack of money, but that's just my point of view. Massbrook are heavily involved in field trials in Ireland, sponsoring events and obviously have their name displayed around those events, they're not a large company. Maybe we should take this to pm, as I'd love to know why you hate RC as much as you do.

The fat in those other two foods you've put up wouldn't be enough for hard working sled dogs. And as far as Applaws goes, I won't buy it, I did buy some treats, but they came from Thailand, and then when I went back to the pet shop, I looked at all of their Applaws products, and so did every one of them. I have to wonder about the animal welfare aspect, the miles of transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

RC have 'nutritionists' giving advice in pet shops at the moment :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice,

got samples from Red Mills, and the dogs adore it - plus its local to me.

SO its the Engage Salmon and rice for us for now,

thanks

ok scrap that "local" ****

Its 45 euro a bag and I can buy it on Amazon for 25 stg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    ok scrap that "local" ****

Its 45 euro a bag and I can buy it on Amazon for 25 stg!

Link please, I see plenty of Red Mills on Amazon but its 45 sterling which is more than I pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Inexile wrote: »
    Confession time after all our musing re what dog food to go one we have decided to try Skinners. I looked at the cost of it on Amazon, prompted by other threads on this site, and the price was just too good not to try out.

So so much for Irish made, convenient to pick up locally, etc, etc.

Hope it works out now for them all. If it doesn't work with the grey I will leave her on leader.

How are you getting on with the Skinners? I want to change the food we use for our greyhound and lurcher and this seems to tick the boxes for us. I'm just wondering is it only available online for Ireland or can it be purchased in shops here? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Vel wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the Skinners? I want to change the food we use for our greyhound and lurcher and this seems to tick the boxes for us. I'm just wondering is it only available online for Ireland or can it be purchased in shops here? Thanks!

Depends on your definition of "Ireland". It can be purchased on this island in Northern Ireland. I've never seen it in a Republic of Ireland store.

Jollyes stock it and have shops in Enniskillen and Newry along the border. The price is the exact same as Amazon (£26.41) and they had limited stock when I was in their Enniskillen store two weeks ago. And by limited I mean two to three bags on the shelf.

All doing well on it and we even switch flavours without proper change over. The first one we got was the duck and rice and on the second order for some reason the OH ordered the Salmon and Rice. The salmon and rice I think has a stronger odour but the dogs don't seem to care and it is suiting the grey too.

I tried it ages ago on the grey but it didn't agree with her but maybe that was due to the fact that I had only got her and probably didn't give her enough time to adjust. We get it through Amazaon. Price is generally about €36 for 15 KG bag. Brilliant value and delivery time is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

All doing well on it and we even switch flavours without proper change over. The first one we got was the duck and rice and on the second order for some reason the OH ordered the Salmon and Rice. The salmon and rice I think has a stronger odour but the dogs don't seem to care and it is suiting the grey too.

I tried it ages ago on the grey but it didn't agree with her but maybe that was due to the fact that I had only got her and probably didn't give her enough time to adjust. We get it through Amazaon. Price is generally about €36 for 15 KG bag. Brilliant value and delivery time is good too.

I only paid €20 on amazon for duck and rice last month with subscribe and save it was £18. I have seen it for sale in that big pet shop in newtownmountkennedy in Wicklow pet bliss I think they are called. It was a good €35 per bag!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008EHRPU4/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1384434107&sr=8-1

I use the BT11AA and get free uk delivery usually - but only to folks house in Dublin as never gets redirected otherwise.

Waiting to see what they can do on the delivery prices -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks for the feedback on Skinners! I'd prefer to be able to buy my food from a shop rather than online as more often than not we aren't home when the delivery is attempted and I don't drive and my partner works the hours when the product is then made available for collection so it makes it harder to pick up. Anything similar to Skinners (quality and price) that is available for purchase in shops in the Republic of Ireland? Must be low protein

Thanks for the feedback on Skinners! I'd prefer to be able to buy my food from a shop rather than online as more often than not we aren't home when the delivery is attempted and I don't drive and my partner works the hours when the product is then made available for collection so it makes it harder to pick up. Anything similar to Skinners (quality and price) that is available for purchase in shops in the Republic of Ireland? Must be low protein

Why not get it delivered to one of your workplaces? That's what I do.

Or what if you got it delivered via Parcel Motel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lemlin wrote: »
    Why not get it delivered to one of your workplaces? That's what I do.

Me too.
    wrote:
    Or what if you got it delivered via Parcel Motel?

They all rave about it over in Bargain Alerts. Apparently first shipping is free for first orders. Can you elaborate on how to use it?

Not sure but think there is a limit on the size/weight of item that can be delivered to parcel motel

anniehoo wrote: »
    Me too.

They all rave about it over in Bargain Alerts. Apparently first shipping is free for first orders. Can you elaborate on how to use it?

I haven't used it but I believe you just put the Parcel Motel address in as the shipping address and then you can collect your package at your local depot. There is a charge per package. People generally use it to buy from retailers that won't ship to ROI.

I'm lucky enough to have a friend in Lisnaskea that I get that sort of stuff shipped to.

Not sure but think there is a limit on the size/weight of item that can be delivered to parcel motel

The limit to the motel is 10kgs - anything over that you have to either go and collect or arrange to have it sent on ...As I learnt last month when I ordered too much lol :p

Good news for us ROI users of Skinners. I've been in contact with Skinners regarding a few different items and it turns out they've noticed an upturn in their ROI business and have appointed a sales rep to start working on the ROI market in the New Year.

There should be alot more stockists over the coming months. Will be interesting to see how prices compare to the UK prices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

While this is only loosely related to the topic title, wanted to let any pet owners in Kildare know, that I found a new pet shop (its been there 5 weeks the guy told me) in Newbridge - just opposite the Newbridge Silver shop. Its called Pet Warehouse I think - but more importantly it stocks Burns food, it also has Natures:menu and another good quality food whose name I cant remember right now...

Ive been wanting to try my lot on Burns, so have ordered a couple of 2kg bags of their sensitive and senior foods, also picked up some (frozen) Natures:Menu dog food which looks pretty good, and some Mutt & Jeff treats (ingredients: 70% chicken 30% cheese).

Lots of beds & toys & equipment too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008EHRPU4/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1384434107&sr=8-1

I use the BT11AA and get free uk delivery usually - but only to folks house in Dublin as never gets redirected otherwise.

Waiting to see what they can do on the delivery prices -

I've been buying dog food (12.5 kg bags) from Amazon UK for a couple of months now and they always deliver free (as long as your order meets the £25 minimum) to ROI via An Post.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I feed Josh two huge handfuls of James Welbeloved (mostly because the pet shop owner told me it was the best dry food for him).
    I buy two 15KG bags of different flavours and mix a handful of both.

Now Josh has gotten a bit bored of the dry food, so I mixed through a third of a portion of Nature Diet (kind of a meat/veg paté for want of a better description). That seems to make him more interested in the dry food lately.

But he's always WAAY more interested in sausage or slices of meat and I wondered about this "raw" stuff and how he might prefer it.

My questions would be "how much does it cost compared to dry food" and "how much preparation is it at dinner time"?

Advertisement