Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftover mashed potatoes....

Options
  • 29-09-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Just looking for suggestions everyone what do you do with them???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

1966 wrote: »
    Just looking for suggestions everyone what do you do with them???

Potato cakes
    Shepherds pie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Potato cakes!

There's a few different ways to make them. Some people just form the cold potatoes into patties, dip in flour, then egg, then flour again and shallow fry them until heated through. Others mix an egg and some flour in with the potatoes before forming into patties and cooking. I've tried both ways, but I'm not sure I have a favourite.

Alternatively, if you wanted to push yourself a bit more, you could make gnocchi.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Rissoles!!!

Can't actually tell you what goes into them, apart from maybe some cooked mince, onion maybe - form them into burger shapes, fry - and enjoy!

These were a staple of my childhood, and have me drooling at the very idea - I haven't thought of them in years and years!!

ETA - aha, cooked meat mince, not raw mince! i.e. beef/lamb that's been cooked and then minced. Recipes seem to advocate meatball shapes, but we always had them like burgers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rissoles_85938

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Potato cakes! Equal parts cold mashed potato and plain or self raising flour, mixed with unhealthy amounts of melted butter (or a little onion sautéed in unhealthy amounts of butter), make a soft dough, cut out shapes and fry gently in flavourless oil, yuuum! And I don't even like potatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

dee_mc wrote: »
    Potato cakes! Equal parts cold mashed potato and plain or self raising flour, mixed with unhealthy amounts of melted butter (or a little onion sautéed in unhealthy amounts of butter), make a soft dough, cut out shapes and fry gently in flavourless oil, yuuum! And I don't even like potatoes!
    Ermmmmm gently fry in unhealthy amounts of butter and then spread cold butter on them.

Pffftttttt

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Form into little patties. Fry in copious amounts of butter, along with some black pudding. Remove onto a hot plate. Crack a duck egg into the hot butter & fry until the edges are golden and crispy. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy with tomato sauce and a mug of tea. Halloumi cheese is also an option. *contented sigh*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make one big hash brown. Gently fry thinly sliced onion in butter, then mix it with the mash and add salt and black pepper. Heat some sunflower oil in a smallish pan (for a crisper finish than you'd get with butter) and flatten the mix out in the pan. Cook until crisp then flip it over using a plate, and fry the other side until crisp. Delicious :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fry some mince until browned with some onion

Add said potatoes.

Add some hot sauce.

Enjoy.

Use corned beef in it as a hash if you want :)

Top both with a fried egg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Potato salad - use for lunch.
    Chomp. Yum.
    Coddle.
    Mix into soup for added volume.
    Fish cakes with salmon, scallions & capers/fill etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

These are scrumptious.

You'll need:

A breakfast-sized bowl of leftover mash
    1-2 eggs, whisked
    2-3 tablespoons of flour
    2-3 rashers of smoked bacon, finely chopped
    1 small (or half of a large) onion, finely chopped
    Handful of chives, snipped, or chopped scallions
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Butter and olive oil, for frying

What to do:

1. Fry the onion and chopped bacon to your liking.

2. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, beginning with 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of flour, beating together with a wooden spoon. If it seems dry, add another egg. If it seems wet, add some more flour. The consistency is going to depend largely on the texture of your mash.

3. Preheat a frying pan and melt some butter with a few drops of olive oil (the oil prevents the butter from burning). Drop large spoonfuls of potato cake batter into the sizzling pan and flatten slightly with a spatula. Allow to brown on the underside and then flip.

4. Cook. Eat. Nom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement