Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reverting to windows 7

Options
  • 29-09-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a pc 1 year ago that had windows 7 on it, I got a free upgrade to windows 8, its been nothing but a pain in the ass, I want to go back to windows 7, I have the install disk that came with my dell pc, would this allow me to revert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Your Dell should have a factory recovery on it which will restore it to the day you got it.
    When your pc is starting hit f8 after a couple of secs. One of the options you see should be factory restore or something similar.
    Back up any files you need as this will wipe your drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭celica1994

cheers for the advise, can I create a disk partition or something so I can back up my files?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Usb external drive would be the easy way.
    You could shrink the current partition and create a new one from the free space.
    I would recommend the external drive.

cool gonna give it a go tomorrow! sick of windows 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

celica1994 wrote: »
    cool gonna give it a go tomorrow! sick of windows 8!

can u give me detailed reason why, as im thinking of upgrading

• Advertisement

sure, well im an average computer user so heres my observations!

the scrolling to the corner thing to bring up menus can be very annoying and hard to get used to

No windows button on the bottom left of the screen

older hardware will not work with windows 8 and there is no support

computer seems to constantly have malware viruses, my last 2 dell pcs in the last 7 years never had this problem so im assuming windows 8.

the internet explorer itself only loads half the time and I have to click it 100 times to make it work, have tried every solution on the net but others are having the same issue!

the automatic update never seems to work correct and crashes when trying to update

theres more but honestly cant think of them right now!

Honestly mate, don't upgrade, I was gonna downgrade to xp cause I have a disk there but theyre ending support for it so I decided not to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Laviski wrote: »
    can u give me detailed reason why, as im thinking of upgrading

I use both - my 'proper' machine and tablet have windows 7 (although I'd love a windows 8 ultra book instead). My HTPC (Home Theater PC) has windows 8.

On my gaming and work rig I got so sick of 8. It's a mess when you use a machine for multiple things. The metro start interface thing is a pain in the arse. It gets so cluttered, especially when you install lots of legacy applications. The app version of IE is even more annoying than the desktop version, and getting into setting and stuff is a real ball ache!

On my HTPC I love it - all thats used for is the Netflix App and VLC with some bits on the desktop which I control via remote desktop on my Windows 7 machine. Tablet uses windows 7 - I upgraded to 8 but it was way too slow showing windows 8 to be more resource hungry.

They really are two different OSes for two different purposes IMHO. I wish Microsoft would realise this and give you the option of having a windows 7 type interface on windows 8. I love the Win8 file manager and the native support for different backgrounds on multi monitors.

TL:DR Heavy use, gaming and twekaing = windows 7, light use = windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On desktop I don't access my metro screen. I use start to launch programs simply by accessing them via the keyboard (go to start and type Photo to see what I mean). Keyboard shortcuts circumvent the screen (win f, win q, win w)

On touch, the app/tile version of IE10 is lovely to use. I use the metro interface here a little bit.

In general windows 8 has some issues with stability after multiple sleep/wake cycles without proper shutdown

The interface on desktop sees improvements, like the file transfer screen and the task manager.

I recommend upgrading if you have touch, or work across multiple devices as everything syncs nicely when everything is running windows 8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2046309/the-best-windows-8-start-menu-programs.html
    get startisback its identical to win7 menu ,
    You don,t have to use metro apps if you dont wish to.
    allows you to set boot to desktop, or start screen.
    windows 8.1 free download may bring some improvements ,like different tile sizes .
    There,s plenty of free programs to make win8 ,look like windows 7.
    i think win8 is designed for tablets,

or maybe people who want same os win8 on phone,tablet etc eg maybe 1 per cent of pc users .

OR weird people who want a pc with a touch screen display.

even apple did not try and put a tablet os onto a pc,
    IT makes no sense.

Still i ,d advise you to reinstall win7 if you can,
    as i can see no point in using win8,
    UNLESS you are a programmer,, techie, or use it as part of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

even apple did not try and put a tablet os onto a pc,
    IT makes no sense.
    Not yet. Guarantee it is an inevitability. With the iPhone 5S now sporting a 64-bit processor, future iProducts are likely to as well. Expect Mac OS and iOS to be the same thing in a year or two. That is, after all, what Steve Jobs claimed iOS in fact was when he first introduced the 1st iPhone.
    or maybe people who want same os win8 on phone,tablet etc eg maybe 1 per cent of pc users .
    Im pretty egotistical but I don't think I'm the 1%. People want the same content on all their devices. Thats why Mac and iPhone work so well together. Its why all my Windows 8 stuff works so well together too. In fact a Windows phone in theory would be lovely. At the end of the day its a pleasure that my office work syncs across all my devices - including my iPhone, with Office Mobile and OneNote for iPhone.

Calling touch weird just makes people sound like they're ridiculing the early adopters of the mouse. Ah sure. Graphical User Interfaces. That will never be a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ON 99 per cent of pc,s with no touchscreen ,win7 is better than
    win 8.
    ALSO theres problems with touching a pc screen,
    fingermarks ,comfort, etc is ideal viewing distance for a 19 inch screen,
    ideal for a touch screen display?
    FOR most pcs, the mouse ,keyboard is the ideal control ,input device.
    YOU are in the 1 per cent if you can afford a win8 pc, tablet and phone
    ,or a person who uses mostly ms software as part of their job.
    ALL the win8 phones i see in the shops are 400 euro plus.
    A pc with a touch screen is more expensive,
    though i understand you can just use a mouse ,keyboard in windows 8.

I agree , apple will probably bring out a os thats compatible with pc,s and tablets now that they have 64bit cpu,s in the new iphones,

Advertisement