Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a differance between the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Manassas61 wrote: »
    Better off ... culturally.

Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Better off financially and culturally. But there is many other benefits to it. The NHS being one of the major ones. Plenty of reasons.

Actually if you look at the human development index you will see that the Free State ranks higher than the UK and well Northern Ireland is the UK's hell hole. While the NHS is important other things balance out the social services supplied by the south. The six counties before partition was an economic power house-partition and remaining in the UK has crippled it.

What cultural reasons could there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Actually if you look at the human development index you will see that the Free State ranks higher than the UK and well Northern Ireland is the UK's hell hole. While the NHS is important other things balance out the social services supplied by the south. The six counties before partition was an economic power house-partition and remaining in the UK has crippled it.

What cultural reasons could there be?
    I am from a Ulster Scots background. So Unionism is part of my culture and intertwined.

None of the UK or the Irish Republic is an economic power house any more. The Empire is gone and the Irish Republic is certainly not a power house in anything.

He asked why "I". That is one of the reasons I vote Unionist. Get over yourself.

Reasons I can see for maintaining the Union- the UK is much more likely to get out of the EU than the 26 counties, the serious danger of the southern establishment allowing Loyalists to walk all over "rotten prods" and the CNR population as well as the crazy amount of political correctness in the south.

• Advertisement

He asked why "I". That is one of the reasons I vote Unionist. Get over yourself.

You do realise that Unionist culture is alien to the British (of Britain), don't you? In fact I'd go as far as to say the British (of Britain) are far more familiar with Irish culture than Unionist.

I can understand why you'd vote in what you believe is your economic interests but how exactly does the union serve Unionist culture when ye're facing the future as a minority with SF as the pre-eminent political force and people who are not cultural Unionists running the place?

I am from a Ulster Scots background. So Unionism is part of my culture and intertwined.

None of the UK or the Irish Republic is an economic power house any more. The Empire is gone and the Irish Republic is certainly not a power house in anything.

Uh no its not a lot of Ulster Presbyterians in the 17 th and 18 th centuries were borderline anarchists who only recognized Christ as their King which is one of the reasons that Irish Republicanism came out originally from non-Anglican Protestant circles. The Ulster Irish is much more interwined or was with Ulster Scot's culture until the stupid cold war with the south when everything that seemed to "Irish" was jettisoned.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/census-1911-belfasts-shankill-had-as-many-irish-speakers-as-falls-28733198.html

Unionism is NOT culture- its a political position.

You do realise that Unionist culture is alien to the British (of Britain), don't you?

I can understand why you'd vote in what you believe is your economic interests but how exactly does the union serve Unionist culture when ye're facing the future as a minority with SF as the pre-eminent political force and people who are not cultural Unionists running the place?
    I don't care if it is alien to them, it is part of my heritage. My heritage is not the same heritage for everyone. That is what makes every group of people different.

If you have looked at the latest polls on the support of the Union, it is miles in front of the support for a United Ireland. With a substantial Catholic support may I add.

The DUP is currently the biggest political party in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein aren't. If anything in the future does change, I will probably be dead by then. So I don't care.

Unionism is NOT culture- its a political position.
    Which is my position. I am a Unionist. Shoot me for it...

The Union flag is my flag. Might not be for everyone but there you go.

I don't care if it is alien to them, it is part of my heritage. My heritage is not the same heritage for everyone. That is what makes every group of people different.

Yeah but how does the union with Britain serve this? Do you think the lads in Westminster really give a shit whether a bunch of lads with drums and flutes get to march past the Ardoyne shops or not?

• Advertisement

Yeah but how does the union with Britain serve this? Do you think the lads in Westminster really give a shit whether a bunch of lads with drums and flutes get to march past the Ardoyne shops or not?
    The lads in Westminster don't give a sh*t about much, including their own voters. They aren't born here, so it doesn't effect them. So in fact, it is rather irrelevant.

Being a Unionist is a perfectly reasonable position to have for many different reasons. I ain't the only one.

The sad thing is that today you can find a much more authentic Ulster Scot's culture in the Appalachian mountains than you can in actual Ulster where they have kept alive older and more complex musical forms. The sad thing also is that I have found Republicans not from Ulster Scot backgrounds who are much more well versed in Ulster Scot history and past culture than the over whelming majority of Unionists. If you go to highlands of Scotland or the Welsh speaking areas of Wales you can see an actually healthy celtic Protestant culture and there you can come to understand just how much Unionism has damaged our people.

The sad thing is that today you can find a much more authentic Ulster Scot's culture in the Appalachian mountains than you can in actual Ulster where they have kept alive older and more complex musical forms. The sad thing also is that I have found Republicans not from Ulster Scot backgrounds who are much more well versed in Ulster Scot history and past culture than the over whelming majority of Unionists. If you go to highlands of Scotland or the Welsh speaking areas of Wales you can see an actually healthy celtic Protestant culture and there you can come to understand just how much Unionism has damaged our people.
    I live with them, we are well aware of our history and heritage. Particularly with the festivals and promotion of the music with pipe bands and other activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Painted Pony

The PIRA's aim was to remove the British from the north by force. That's a military objective not a political one.
    But in the aftermath of a British removal their plan was to (re)establish the Irish republic proclaimed in 1916. And that clearly was political.
    I'm not sure why you're trying to compare the PIRA campaign with the US invasion of Iraq. You'll remember too, I'm sure, that Iraq didn't attack the US and that there was a conspiracy to fool the public into thinking that Saddam had a 45 minute WMD strike capability.
    The bottom line is that the US did not get the necessary mandate from the UN to go in to Iraq in ’03 but did so regardless and this is the basis on which many Irish republicans (reasonably enough) criticise them. That Iraq didn’t attack the US is irrelevant. That was also the case for the first Gulf war where the US were justified in going in. Why? Because then they did have a mandate.

But somehow, the same republicans who see the flagrant disregard for democracy by the US see no issue with their own, pursuing an all Ireland political project whilst totally disregarding the wishes of the people of Ireland.

In the video that S&F posted, Martin McGuinness freely admits that they had failed to persuade the people of the 26 counties, as he likes to call it.
    You’re right. The British don’t give a toss about them. But neither do we here in the South (nor do nationalists in the North for that matter). Indeed many of us are pretty hostile to them. (I’d tolerate sharing an island with them but draw the line at sharing a state with them! :))

So their choice is not between who doesn’t want them and who does. It is between who doesn’t want them and who really, really doesn’t want them! :D

You’re right. The British don’t give a toss about them. But neither do we here in the South (nor do nationalists in the North for that matter). Indeed many of us are pretty hostile to them. (I’d tolerate sharing an island with them but draw the line at sharing a state with them! :))

So their choice is not between who doesn’t want them and who does. It is between who doesn’t want them and who really, really doesn’t want them! :D

Depends on how you view giving a toss- the UK establishment wants to maintain a foothold in Ireland as they see it as a back door, historically the UUP (much less so the DUP) have been very useful to the Tories in Westminster. Jack Straw outlined clearly a few reasons why from their point of view Northern Ireland is best for them in the Union. Also say what you want about the Ulster Scots but we have tremendous energy and a certain quirkiness and unpredictability which is just what the south needs. I accept that this is horribly misdirected at the moment.

But in the aftermath of a British removal their plan was to (re)establish the Irish republic proclaimed in 1916. And that clearly was political.

Isn't that just a political aspiration though? I mean it's only an aspiration at the end of the day. I could aspire to having a anarcho-syndicalist workers federation in control of the means of production in Ireland but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    The bottom line is that the US did not get the necessary mandate from the UN to go in to Iraq in ’03 but did so regardless and this is the basis on which many Irish republicans (reasonably enough) criticise them. That Iraq didn’t attack the US is irrelevant. That was also the case for the first Gulf war where the US were justified in going in. Why? Because then they did have a mandate.

You're attributing too much virtue to a mandate. Having a mandate doesn't mean going to war is a just thing to do. Not having a mandate doesn't mean that engaging in conflict is automatically wrong.
    But somehow, the same republicans who see the flagrant disregard for democracy by the US see no issue with their own, pursuing an all Ireland political project whilst totally disregarding the wishes of the people of Ireland.

Hmmm... It was the subversion of democracy by Unionists and eventually the massacre of civil rights protesters that energized physical force Republicanism. Democracy and civil rights were attempted and brutally crushed by Unionists and their sectarian militias.
    In the video that S&F posted, Martin McGuinness freely admits that they had failed to persuade the people of the 26 counties, as he likes to call it

Haven't watched it yet.
    I’d tolerate sharing an island with them but draw the line at sharing a state with them! :))

You shouldn't mistake fleggers for the average Unionist. They're not all that different to the rest of us tbh.

I honestly think Ireland would have had a less dysfunctional 'youth' if there'd been (former) Unionists sitting in the Dail. I don't think the RCC would have had half the stranglehold over the institutions of the state had this been the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When are you going to answer my question Charlie?

When are you going to answer my question Charlie?

Which one? :confused:

I've told you before I'm not interested in going on a date with you.

You're barking up the wrong tree. :D

Which one? :confused:

When the IRA bombed those places at peak times, you claimed it was to cause maximum disruption.

I asked, disruption to who?

When the IRA bombed those places at peak times, you claimed it was to cause maximum disruption.

I asked, disruption to who?

Wrong dude bro.

• Advertisement

You're attributing too much virtue to a mandate.
    For using force? Indeed and I am. Using violence is no trivial matter.
    Having a mandate doesn't mean going to war is a just thing to do.
    True. It is necessary but not sufficient.
    Not having a mandate doesn't mean that engaging in conflict is automatically wrong.
    Yes it absolutely does. You can of course cite plenty of scenarios where it was either impractical or impossible to formally establish that there was a mandate (apartheid era in SA for example). And you make have to do with anecdotal or subjective judgement to demonstrate that you have the necessary support.

But if it can be demonstrably shown that any group using force do not have the support from the people on whose behalf the force is being used then that it absolutely and automatically is wrong.

It is rarely possible to do this but it was possible in Ireland because in any election during the troubles (when SF did contest them) we could tally the support of the constitutional nationalists parties and the total did, and still does, massively exceed the vote given to those who favoured physical force.

The people of Ireland quite clearly favoured peaceful means to bring about any change in out territory (Sinn Fein have belatedly boarded this train) and did so throughout the troubles. But they were ignored by PIRA.

And even with our goldfish-like political memories, some people still remember this, almost 20 years after they were active (We seem to be already willing to forgive FF after only 2 years!). That must surely tell you something about how much the arrogance of PIRA rankled many people.

It is rarely possible to do this but it was possible in Ireland because in any election during the troubles (when SF did contest them) we could tally the support of the constitutional nationalists parties and the total did, and still does, massively exceed the vote given to those who favoured physical force.

ex post facto

SF didn't really engage in politics substantively until after the Hunger Strikes in the early 1980's and from not long after that I believe they were exploring a political solution to the conflict.

In the video that S&F posted, Martin McGuinness freely admits that they had failed to persuade the people of the 26 counties, as he likes to call it.

We are a unique people. Just different to other groups on the Island. Including the Native Irish.

Native Irish.

Christ that's depressing. Hundreds of years later and you describe people as 'Native Irish'. What are you? A colonist? An invader?

We are a unique people. Just different to other groups on the Island. Including the Native Irish.

Were Bobby Sands and Francis Hughes "Native Irish"?

Do you understand how dangerous that type of junk is?

Ulster Scots are very Irish- you need to if not travel more make friends from the other side.

Yeah well, sorry but I have no real interest in forging a state, or even a nation, with you. :)

There is of course nothing so surprising about fairly diverse peoples sharing the same land mass. It is not so usual on a small island like ours but just look at the diversity of nations and states on the landmass of Europe. The borders of European countries have being moved countless times, and almost always as a result of violence or regression. Yet most recognize the futility of trying to undo the wrongs of the past, few would appeal to ancient history and say: “here is where the true border of our country should be, as it was 1,000 years ago”.

But not in Ireland. Half a millennium after the plantation (which unquestionably was wrong) there is still the refusal to accept that this was the end (several centuries before it began!) of any homogeneous all-Ireland nation. But reality is no match for the hardy Irish nationalist. They will continue to insist that an island nation makes perfect sense and try to forge together two peoples who are about as different as any pairing you might select from the peoples of the islands of Britain and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

BRIAN: Are you the Judean People's Front?

REG: Fu*k off!

BRIAN: What?

REG: Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's Front. Cawk.

FRANCIS: ****.

BRIAN: Can I... join your group?

REG: No. Piss off.

BRIAN: I didn't want to sell this stuff. It's only a job. I hate the Romans as much as anybody.

PEOPLE'S FRONT OF JUDEA: Shhhh. Shhhh. Shhh. Shh. Shhhh.

REG: Stumm.

JUDITH: Are you sure?

BRIAN: Oh, dead sure. I hate the Romans already.

REG: Listen. If you wanted to join the P.F.J., you'd have to really hate the Romans.

BRIAN: I do!

REG: Oh, yeah? How much?

BRIAN: A lot!

REG: Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the ****ing Judean People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah...

JUDITH: Splitters.

P.F.J.: Splitters...

FRANCIS: And the Judean Popular People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Oh, yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

LORETTA: And the People's Front of Judea.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

REG: What?

LORETTA: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.

REG: We're the People's Front of Judea!

LORETTA: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

REG: People's Front! C-huh.

FRANCIS: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

REG: He's over there.

P.F.J.: Splitter!

Yeah well, sorry but I have no real interest in forging a state, or even a nation, with you. :)

You don't have a mandate - just a personal opinion. ;)
    But not in Ireland. Half a millennium after the plantation (which unquestionably was wrong) there is still the refusal to accept that this was the end (several centuries before it began!) of any homogeneous all-Ireland nation.

A 32 county state is not predicated on homogeneity; indeed, it's obvious that it wouldn't be considering that we have a large tranche of people who wouldn't identify as being 'native Irish' (depressingly).
    two peoples who are about as different as any pairing you might select from the peoples of the islands of Britain and Ireland.

That's quite wrong. If former goat herders from the mountains of Pakistan can lead fulfilling lives in a modern metropolis like Manchester how mental is it to imagine that former Unionists could be part of a 32 county United Ireland?

Christ that's depressing. Hundreds of years later and you describe people as 'Native Irish'. What are you? A colonist? An invader?
    The people who are descended from Native Irish people. I am not one of them. I won't lie and say I am. Just being honest about it. I am a colonist because that is my ancestory history.

It's how most of us see it except different labels are used.

• Advertisement

Were Bobby Sands and Francis Hughes "Native Irish"?

Do you understand how dangerous that type of junk is?

Ulster Scots are very Irish- you need to if not travel more make friends from the other side.
    They weren't but the vast bulk of people from Republicanism are Native Irish people.

They weren't but the vast bulk of people from Republicanism are Native Irish people.

Uh they both had "Native Irish" blood in their veins. The idea that there are two biological races in Ulster is just wrong.

Uh they both had "Native Irish" blood in their veins. The idea that there are two biological races in Ulster is just wrong.

It's a word for the people here before the plantation. It's why the divide is so deep because ethnically there is a difference.

It's a word for the people here before the plantation. It's why the divide is so deep because ethnically there is a difference.

Uh most of the Ulster Scots were not part of the plantation. Only Anglicans were allowed in the plantation. Ethnically there is hardly any difference- just as there is very little difference between Irish and Scotch Gaelic.

The divide as it stands was manufactured after the 1798 rebellion and even than it didnt become solid until the early 20s.

The people who are descended from Native Irish people. I am not one of them. I won't lie and say I am. Just being honest about it. I am a colonist because that is my ancestory history.

It's how most of us see it except different labels are used.

Look seriously drop your fantasies about Ulster Prods being Rhodesian super men or whatever. Its very interesting- and disturbing- that the type of Republican I consider sectarian and not very nice to put it politely comes out with extremely similar nonsense to hardcore Unionists. Crazy as I am I care about the six counties but Im very glad I dont live there anymore.

I am a colonist because that is my ancestory history.

We're birds of a feather you and me. I have Norse heritage. Isn't it great how we have integrated into this island and become more Irish than the Irish themselves?

You'll note too that upwards of 200 thousand English people came here during the celtic pyramid? I'd imagine the vast majority of English people who settled here will have fully integrated Irish children but yet you who are many generations removed from people you're not sure you're related to still resist the idea of being from here.

You know what? I feel pity for you and people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

SoulandForm - are you on the Absinth again tonight? You really should take it easy on that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I love the way Nationalists claim we are distinct from the British as we share a common history, culture and ethnicity. But as soon as someone correctly points out that there are two distinct historical cultural and ethnic groups on this island they get all hot under the collar and try to forcibly impose their identity onto the Ulster Scots.

Hypocrasy is clearly a fundamental element of Irish nationalism.

That's quite wrong. If former goat herders from the mountains of Pakistan can lead fulfilling lives in a modern metropolis like Manchester how mental is it to imagine that former Unionists could be part of a 32 county United Ireland?
    It is not that they can’t. But likewise it is not the case that Irish nationalists could not throw their lot back in with the UK. In both cases they simply don’t want to.

Yourself and S&F (or me) would not go for a UK of B and I no matter how compelling any case might be made to you about ethnicity or history. Because it is not about ethnicity or history, it is about constitutional aspirations. And outside of a few odd balls in the British National Party, nobody would try to make a case for a single nation state consisting of Britain and Ireland.

But here in our own turf Irish nationalists continue to perpetuate the nonsense that the natural arrangement for Ireland is a 32 county state. This may well come to be someday. But to pretend that unionists will be embraced as part of the Irish nation by nationalists is daft. Their thinking is predicated on some notion that there is some ancient integrity to the island country of Ireland, almost as if God made Ireland!

Nationalists want the unionist’s turf, not them. But they come as a job lot so nationalists will just have to tolerate them. But they’ll be slow to love them.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I love the way Nationalists claim we are distinct from the British as we share a common history, culture and ethnicity. But as soon as someone correctly points out that there are two distinct historical cultural and ethnic groups on this island they get all hot under the collar and try to forcibly impose their identity onto the Ulster Scots.

Hypocrasy is clearly a fundamental element of Irish nationalism.
    They can't handle the truth. Unless they are the dictators, then they don't like it. It is the truth that there is two distinct peoples in Ulster particularly. The Native Irish and the Ulster Scots people who came from the lowlands of Scotland.

These two people make up the vast bulk of both peoples.

One minute they want respect for the indigenous people of the Island and the next minute they start yelling at you when you recognize them and respect them. Beyond bizarre but there you go, that is Irish Republicanism for you.

They can't handle the truth. Unless they are the dictators, then they don't like it. It is the truth that there is two distinct peoples in Ulster particularly. The Native Irish and the Ulster Scots people who came from the lowlands of Scotland.

One minute they want respect for the indigenous people of the Island and the next minute they start yelling at you when you recognize them and respect them. Beyond bizarre but there you go, that is Irish Republicanism for you.

Thanked for comedy value- particularly the underlined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

They can't handle the truth. Unless they are the dictators, then they don't like it.

And the award for most ironic statement of the year goes to...MANASSAS61

Thanked for comedy value- particularly the underlined.
    Go look up the Scottish Presbyterians during the Ulster plantation. I ain't discussing the English settlers.

Go look up the Scottish Presbyterians during the Ulster plantation. I ain't discussing the English settlers.

If you find names such as Boyd, Buchannan, Campbell, Douglas, Ferguson, Bryce, Gilmore, Gow, Gowan, Keil, Keogh, Patterson, Sinclair, Taggart and Morrison you can be sure of also finding highland blood. The fact that Ulster Irish was spoken more than Ulster Scotch also goes against the myth of all Ulster Scots being all lowlanders.

Here is a Unionist making the same argument that the idea that there are two different nationalities in northern Ireland that are radically different is nonsense- http://amgobsmacked.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/culturally-british-vs-culturally-irish.html

If you find names such as Boyd, Buchannan, Campbell, Douglas, Ferguson, Bryce, Gilmore, Gow, Gowan, Keil, Keogh, Patterson, Sinclair, Taggart and Morrison you can be sure of also finding highland blood. The fact that Ulster Irish was spoken more than Ulster Scotch also goes against the myth of all Ulster Scots being all lowlanders.
    Ulster Scots is not a language.

And the award for most ironic statement of the year goes to...MANASSAS61

Aah, Jack, you're back.

Prepared to answer my question yet, or will you dodge it on this thread as well.

Ulster Scots is not a language.

What is it than?

Aah, Jack, you're back.

Prepared to answer my question yet, or will you dodge it on this thread as well.

Answer what?

Ps-thats hilarious, you of all people talking about dodging questions

Answer what?

Ps-thats hilarious, you of all people talking about dodging questions

Sod it, May as well push this one last time, hopefully it will help take the blinkers off.

Le Mon restaurant, Warrington and pubs in Birmingham were all bombed at peak times, when those place were packed full of people.

You claim this was to cause the maximum disruption, but to whom?

If they were economic targets, bombing them at 5am would have closed those businesses and minimised the loss of life.

So, who were they trying to disrupt, if the goal was to cause maximum disruption?

Sod it, May as well push this one last time, hopefully it will help take the blinkers off.

Le Mon restaurant, Warrington and pubs in Birmingham were all bombed at peak times, when those place were packed full of people.

You claim this was to cause the maximum disruption, but to whom?

If they were economic targets, bombing them at 5am would have closed those businesses and minimised the loss of life.

So, who were they trying to disrupt, if the goal was to cause maximum disruption?

I've answered this a dozen times in a dozen different threads. Now I cant speak for the IRA, but clearly, a bomb at peak business time is going to cause far more disruption across an entire area, with closed roads and streets on top of everything else. If you actually look into what happened in any of these incidents, instead of just reading the roaring Daily Mail headlines of the day, you'll gain a better understanding not just into these events, but into the Troubles as a whole.
    As has been pointed out to you numerous times, which you seem quite happy to ignore, if the aim is the spread terror and kill as many people as possible, why give warnings, why issue apologies when civilians are killed, why stand down units that took risks with civilian casualties and why, for the amount of IRA attacks carried out over 30 years, were civilian casualties so relatively low?

• Advertisement
Advertisement