Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a differance between the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

LordSutch wrote: »
    No not really. Both are misguided drug crazed psycopathic Terrorist outfits, with minimal support. As per their predecessors.

Once again there is no evidence linking either group to drug dealing or taking, just propaganda which has done its job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Once again there is no evidence linking either group to drug dealing or taking, just propaganda which has done its job well.

So just misguided, psychopathic republican terrorists with minimal support then. Right oh. As they proved in Omagh they even think murdering Spanish tourists and shoppers will get them to their new all Ireland destination.

They are on to a winner I tells ya.

timthumbni wrote: »
    So just misguided, psychopathic republican terrorists with minimal support then. Right oh. As they proved in Omagh they even think murdering Spanish tourists and shoppers will get them to their new all Ireland destination.

Glad you corrected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Nothing like a bit of SF bashing is there lads?

Isn't it just horrible when democracy produces the result you don't want?
    They are economically illiterates. Gerry Adams proved that when he was taking part in the debates a few years ago. Some of the nonsense he was coming out with as if money would just magically appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Manassas61 wrote: »
    They are economically illiterates. Gerry Adams proved that when he was taking part in the debates a few years ago. Some of the nonsense he was coming out with as if money would just magically appear.

This daft copy and paste response when people run out of things to say always amuses me. Sinn Fein's economic policies are radical and different from thise of the other parties. surely, given the last ten years, thats a good thing. if you cant understand the simple fact that the polcies of the past clearly havent worked and its time to try something new, then per haps youre the economic illiterate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Gerry Adams I dont think really has a sound grasp on economics but Pearse Doherty does.

This daft copy and paste response when people run out of things to say always amuses me. Sinn Fein's economic policies are radical and different from thise of the other parties. surely, given the last ten years, thats a good thing. if you cant understand the simple fact that the polcies of the past clearly havent worked and its time to try something new, then per haps youre the economic illiterate.
    Ok, so you tell me how you just make money appear without consequences? The state of the Republic is bankrupt. Just go and look at what he said during the debates and the ludicrous idea he had.

http://m.youtube.com/index?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&desktop_uri=%2F%3Fhl%3Den-GB%26gl%3DGB#/home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ok, so you tell me how you just make money appear without consequences? The state of the Republic is bankrupt. Just go and look at what he said during the debates and the ludicrous idea he had.

http://m.youtube.com/index?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&desktop_uri=%2F%3Fhl%3Den-GB%26gl%3DGB#/home
    That redirects to youtube's homepage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That redirects to youtube's homepage.

thats because its a mobile link and youre probably trying to view it on a desktop

maccored wrote: »
    thats because its a mobile link and youre probably trying to view it on a desktop

I tried viewing it on my phone, laptop and work computer, it's not coming up on any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Two things.

Gerry Adams doesn't, and never has claimed to be a finance/economics genius. His strengths lie in political tactics and ideas. For proof of this, one only needs to look at the progress they've made in the north, and the gains being made in the south.

Secondly, at least Gerry Adams takes parts in televised debates. Enda Kenny wouldn't even face down Micheál Martin in the upcoming referendum, reason given 'he didn't want to embarrass him'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You realise you're referring to a splinter/breakaway group, with zero ties, politically our ideology to S.F right?

I would agree with you though, that have absolute minimal support.

Gerry Adams knows what to say and what to do at exactly the right time. Politically, I think Sinn Fein are very clever, God forbid they ever get near to actually running the country though.

Well a lot of PSF's rise in the north was down to their enemies- David Trimble's carry on a Portadown helped them a lot. Also in the south the ULA have totally messed up in true Trotskyite fashion, the Green Party have committed suicide and well Labour isnt much of an alternative so who is anyone roughly on the left going to be voting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I tried viewing it on my phone, laptop and work computer, it's not coming up on any of them.

i see that too myself ....

It is, but the nationalists have organised themselves superbly. They have a master tactician at the helm and unless unionists sort themselves out and rally behind one moderate, unbigoted party, they will continue to lose ground.

The thing is that the DUP and to lesser extent the UUP are not Unionists the way the Labour Party in Scotland and Wales are Unionists- they are more Ulster Protestant particularists (or supremacists if you want to be harsher). Their perfect situation would be "Ulster independence" or the type of devolution that existed under the old Stormount. Northern Ireland politics are actually pretty different from the UK mainland. Its not they particularly like the English or the Welsh- its more they dislike or distrust southerners more.

It was the debate around 2011.

It was the debate around 2011.

Oh, that single debate they had in 2011? I know what you're referring to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What exactly did British intelligence have to gain my keeping the conflict going? How did they benefit from the Dublin and Monaghan bombs?
    After the August 1969 rioting, James Callaghan the Home Secretary in Harold Wilson's Labour government, promised reforms in employment and housing.
    He visited the Bogside (only 2 weeks after the Battle of the Bogside) and was applauded by a huge crowd. In June Edward Heath became PM, he didn't promise reforms, instead he imposed an illegal curfew on the Falls Road area and sent in the Black Watch regiment who smashed the place up including religious statues. The Provisionals at that stage were only in existence for a few months and were basically a small splinter group compared with the Officials. That soon changed.
    By the way, the Black Watch is a Scottish regiment (lets just say you won't find any Celtic fans in their ranks) who wear tartan as part of their uniform and at that time the Orange mobs aided by the RUC who were burning Catholics out of their homes were known as "tartan gangs" Sending them in to the Falls was a deliberate plan to escalate the conflict by bringing the Provos and Officials out into the open and finish them off, the same goes for Bloody Sunday, that was also an attempt to bring the Provisionals out into the open. We know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 The who

The R.I.R.A had mixed up the position of the car bomb. It was supposed to destroy this building (for the life of me I can't remember what the building was) but they couldnt get as close to the building as they wanted.They rang the authorities to notify them the whereabouts of the bomb (as they always do when their main target is a building and not innocent people) and they told them it was beside the building, but it wasnt. They rang two more times and gave a differant position each time because they genuinely didn't know where the bomb was. So, obviously the authorities were completely confused about where the bomb was and ended up hording everybody in the area down the street with the bomb but they didn't know the bomb was there.The Omagh bomb was a disaster for the IRA. They did not set out to kill these civilians and the IRA's numbers of supporters dramatically dropped after it (obviously people didn't know it was an accident.).Call it murder if you want but personally, as a republican I can accept this as a disastrous mistake and not a brutal murdering. P.S the IRA only give like 15-10 minutes warning so yes innocent people probably would have died anyway but not half as much

• Advertisement

The who wrote: »
    The R.I.R.A had mixed up the position of the car bomb. It was supposed to destroy this building (for the life of me I can't remember what the building was) but they couldnt get as close to the building as they wanted.They rang the authorities to notify them the whereabouts of the bomb (as they always do when their main target is a building and not innocent people) and they told them it was beside the building, but it wasnt. They rang two more times and gave a differant position each time because they genuinely didn't know where the bomb was. So, obviously the authorities were completely confused about where the bomb was and ended up hording everybody in the area down the street with the bomb but they didn't know the bomb was there.The Omagh bomb was a disaster for the IRA. They did not set out to kill these civilians and the IRA's numbers of supporters dramatically dropped after it (obviously people didn't know it was an accident.).Call it murder if you want but personally, as a republican I can accept this as a disastrous mistake and not a brutal murdering. P.S the IRA only give like 15-10 minutes warning so yes innocent people probably would have died anyway but not half as much
    God almighty, they planted a bomb in a busy place with lots of people. Of course it was murder. They ripped people apart with the bomb. Only in this country could you plant a bomb in a civilian populace place and when it kills people, say it isn't murder.

They planted the bomb and they murdered people. They are to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Its not they particularly like the English or the Welsh- its more they dislike or distrust southerners more.

The anti-culture of Unionism/Loyalism.

Anti-democratic
    Anti-southern
    Anti-Catholic

God almighty, they planted a bomb in a busy place with lots of people. Of course it was murder. They ripped people apart with the bomb. Only in this country could you plant a bomb in a civilian populace place and when it kills people, say it isn't murder.

Do you understand the difference between the concepts of murder and manslaughter in law?

Do you understand the difference between the concepts of murder and manslaughter in law?
    They murdered the people at Omagh when they planted the bomb. Not only murderous thugs but incompetent murderous thugs.

The R.I.R.A had mixed up the position of the car bomb. It was supposed to destroy this building (for the life of me I can't remember what the building was) but they couldnt get as close to the building as they wanted.They rang the authorities to notify them the whereabouts of the bomb (as they always do when their main target is a building and not innocent people) and they told them it was beside the building, but it wasnt. They rang two more times and gave a differant position each time because they genuinely didn't know where the bomb was. So, obviously the authorities were completely confused about where the bomb was and ended up hording everybody in the area down the street with the bomb but they didn't know the bomb was there.The Omagh bomb was a disaster for the IRA. They did not set out to kill thesecivilians and the IRA's numbers of supporters dramatically dropped after it (obviously people didn't know it was an accident.).Call it murder if you want but personally, as a republican I can accept this as a disastrous mistake and not a brutal murdering. P.S the IRA only give like 15-10 minutes warning so yes innocent people probably would have died anyway but not half as much

I do wish to call it murder. Calling it an "accident" may suit republicans but most decent people can see through that. Your definition of the word accident is obviously different to mine.

Making excuses for the omagh bombing highlights some republicans mindset very clearly. Embarrassed by nothing.

They murdered the people at Omagh when they planted the bomb. Not only murderous thugs but incompetent murderous thugs.

In saying that maybe we shouldn't label them murderers. I mean you know yourself how sometimes you "accidentally" leave a massive bomb in a car in a busy town on a Saturday.

It happens me all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

I was wondering what was the difference between the two...

A bit like Diet Coke v Pepsi Max.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 back2education

Both are terrorist groups, hate Protestants. That just about sums it up.

They idolise some protestants!

The anti-culture of Unionism/Loyalism.

Anti-democratic
    Anti-southern
    Anti-Catholic

Anti southern?
    Where are you getting that from they draw funding from southerns and have power base in Dublin right?

Of course there are also serious questions about how much both the Free State and MI5 knew about the bomb- issues of agents provocateurs and them deliberately letting it happen. Im sure you wont be concerned about them at all though. I dont agree with him on a lot I think Sean Gabb summed up Ulster Unionists pretty well.

Of course there are also serious questions about how much both the Free State and MI5 knew about the bomb- issues of agents provocateurs and them deliberately letting it happen. Im sure you wont be concerned about them at all though. I dont agree with him on a lot I think Sean Gabb summed up Ulster Unionists pretty well.
    Always the conspiracies. Just face up to the facts. A bunch of murderous thugs decided to go out and plant a bomb in a public place. It murdered people. That is all there is to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So how would you describe people who carry out an attack?

Also, why did they not bomb this strategically important building at 4am?

While your at it, would you mind answering my earlier question, how would you describe an "army" that detonates a bomb outside McDonalds in a busy high street on a Saturday lunch time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Just to be clear then, the British and American airmen who dropped bombs on German cities during WWII are also murderers, ya?

An Coilean wrote: »
    Just to be clear then, the British and American airmen who dropped bombs on German cities during WWII are also murderers, ya?

I believe the germans called them terror pilots or terrorfleiger, Dresden was inexcusable mass murder also, the war was won and the set out to decimate the city and its population.

Dont forget the bombs there dropping at the moment in pakistan and afhganistan also

I think you will need to be specific in what bombings you are on talking about. Certainly trying to compare World War 2 to a bombing which happened after the Good Friday Agreement is rather amazing and stupid beyond belief.

Should that not start with "what about"?

Always the conspiracies. Just face up to the facts. A bunch of murderous thugs decided to go out and plant a bomb in a public place. It murdered people. That is all there is to it.

Ah its something the way that Ulster Unionists can be wonderfully and creatively paranoid about certain things and so blissfully accepting about others...You couldnt make it up.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Call [Omagh] murder if you want but personally, as a republican I can accept this as a disastrous mistake and not a brutal murdering.
    It is literally beyond my comprehension how anyone can be so hopelessly blinded by their ideology that they can believe something as delusional as this.

Parking a car packed with explosives on a busy shopping street isn't an "accident" and it isn't a "mistake". It's mass murder.

Ask yourself this: if it was carried out by someone whose politics you disagreed with, would you still describe it as an "accident" and a "mistake"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I used the term head on assaults to distinguish between engaging an armed soldier who is able to defend themselves and shooting an unarmed unsuspecting RAF officer and his six month old daughter in Germany, or two unarmed unsuspecting New recruits at a Lichfield train station.

Then there's the numerous RUC officers, judges, politicians etc shot in front of their families.

Yeah because if the British or Americans seen anyone from the Nazi regime walking around with family members they would of let them be & let them continue on monstering for a bit longer.

Ah here, I'm a Republican even I have to laugh at that.

Aren't the families of the victims of the omagh bomb calling for an enquiry into the role of the British government and the ruc?

But it was denied to them.

There is still something very strange about that whole episode, I hope the truth outs someday, it was a horrible tragedy.

• Advertisement

tdv123 wrote: »
    Yeah because if the British or Americans seen anyone from the Nazi regime walking around with family members they would of let them be & let them continue on monstering for a bit longer.

What a stupid thing to say.

Aren't the families of the victims of the omagh bomb calling for an enquiry into the role of the British government and the ruc?

There is still something very strange about that whole episode, I hope the truth outs someday, it was a horrible tragedy.

The southern Government and also the Americans have questions to answer as well.

Earth quakes are tragedies. Ships hitting ice bergs, or planes crashing are tragedies.

Detonating a car bomb in a shopping street full of people is an act of terrorism.

The trouble is that in Ireland if you raise questions about civil liberties or Government secret operations you are quickly labeled some mad dissident who believes in blowing people up for the fun of it.

Earth quakes are tragedies. Ships hitting ice bergs, or planes crashing are tragedies.

Detonating a car bomb in a shopping street full of people is an act of terrorism.

Totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Unfortunately but unsurprisingly the British government have dismissed any attempt to hold a public inquiry into the atrocity although some of the victims families are reported to be launching a legal challenge to the British governments intransigence on this issue and rightly so.

What a stupid thing to say.

Not nearly as stupid as calling the Provos cowards for killing their enemy.

People were labelled Provo supporters for supporting the Birmingham Six in their fight for justice.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Not nearly as stupid as calling the Provos cowards for killing their enemy.

So I take it you were ok with the supposed shoot to kill policy and agree the SAS were right to kill the active service unit in Gibralter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 The who

So I take it that the Brits are muderous thugs aswell?

Advertisement