Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a differance between the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I don't believe Jean McConville was a tyrant?

She was an informer, she was giving information to the tyrant. And don't call it a lie, her family were Republicans it would make no sense to kill her if she was a civilian which she clearly was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Northern Ireland isnt civilized if that word is to mean any good and it certainly wasnt back than.

Do you abhor British and American Imperialism too???

If all else fails, resort to whataboutery....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Well, this thread is a nicely bubbling pot of mudslinging and rehashing old positions and accusations. Don't try to refight the Troubles in the forum, please.

The who in particular, tone it down, or you'll get a ban fairly soon. If you're "sick and tired" of people who dislike the IRA, a political discussion forum is not the place to be.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I meant my question to tdv re kinsmill in light pf his earlier statement.

+its disgusting to even attempt to justify the death of jean mcconville

Plenty of innocent people were slaughtered.

I wouldnt include my dad in that in that as an RUC officer he was actively in the troubles. So was she.

If you got involved you knew the risks- and that goes for PIRA members killed by the SAS. Mairead Farrell knew what she getting involved and knew the risks- she wasnt an innocent.

I abhor all violence. Murder is murder, that is undeniable.
    The Shankhill butchers never claimed to kill anyone in my name though

Ah yeah sure if people are not killing in your name it's grand. It's only when killing is done your name that it's bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Northern Ireland isnt civilized if that word is to mean any good and it certainly wasnt back than.

Do you abhor British and American Imperialism too???

No, it is civilised, it's certain sections of the country who are not.
    I won't call a whole country uncivilized because of the actions of a minority

tdv123 wrote: »
    She was an informer, she was giving information to the tyrant. And don't call it a lie, her family were Republicans it would make no sense to kill her if she was a civilian which she clearly was not.

Still not want to answer my earlier question.?
    ps trying to justify the murder of jean mcconnville says more about you than it does about her.

Dont wanna answer the question?

What question?

Ah yeah sure if people are not killing in your name it's grand. It's only when killing is done your name that it's bad.

If you say so, I don't agree with your thinking though

• Advertisement

Still not want to answer my earlier question.?
    ps trying to justify the murder of jean mcconnville says more about you than it does about her.

I'm not trying to justify any killings, but I did explain why she was killed.

What question?

If the ira protected people ffrom sectarianism, justify kingsmill?

I'm not trying to justify any killings, but I did explain why she was killed.

Honestly I can understand fleggers much more easily than I can Free State militant anti-Republicans. I put their rabidness down to hatred of PSF's social democratic politics or a guilty conscience over the north- its probably a mixture of the two.

He probably wasnt born than- asking him to justify it is like me asking you to justify the "famine".

He probably wasnt born than- asking him to justify it is like me asking you to justify the "famine".

Fail

No we dont- I trust Brendan Hughes' account.

Nobody else does.
    She was murdered, body hidden, her good name destroyed & still they lie

• Advertisement

Just to be clear I abhorred all violence. A passive resistance or civil rights approach would have been much more preferable. But that was just not possible, those routes were blocked of at that moment in time, unfortunately violence was inevitable. And who ever gets involved on either side knows the risk their taking Ruc, Brit,Loyalist or Provo - all of them know death is very possible & none of them were forced to enter the conflict.

Fail

Hardly- you support British Imperialism therefore you justify anything and everything they have done. That is your logic.

You still persist with falsehoods, shame on you

Nobody else does.
    She was murdered, body hidden, her good name destroyed & still they lie

Do you also believe the story that she was killed for going to the aid of a British soldier that was in the media at the time and afterwards proven a total lie?

I already addressed that on page24 first post.

• Advertisement

Hardly- you support British Imperialism therefore you justify anything and everything they have done. That is your logic.

Where have i said that?

Do you also believe the story that she was killed for going to the aid of a British soldier that was in the media at the time and afterwards proven a total lie?

No, sure didn't she run off with a British soldier & leave her kids behind.

Where have i said that?

Your whole story of the Provos just being psychopaths murdering for kicks says it.

Nobody else does.

I do. You can call Brendan Hughes what ever you want one thing the man wasn't was a liar. Probably the most honest from the conflict I've heard speak.

I do. You can call Brendan Hughes what ever you want one thing the man wasn't was a liar. Probably the most honest from the conflict I've heard speak.

He was a liar, McConville was tortured & murdered on the whim of evildoers

Your whole story of the Provos just being psychopaths murdering for kicks says it.

I consider myself a constitutional republican. Just because someone dcoes not agree with cold blooed murder of innocents does not make one pro british. Anyway im out. Bed

But when he says Gerry Adams was involved do you think he was telling the truth?

Why would lie about this in particular and not other things which showed him in a bad light?

You still persist with falsehoods, shame on you

Nothing false about it mate, that's what all the evidence would suggest, your the one coming out with the more radical alternative to the most probable answer which is she was just your average informer. Your just blinded by your hatred for Republicanism.

Again with the drama. She wasn't tortured she was shot once in the head, end of.

But when he says Gerry Adams was involved do you think he was telling the truth?

Why would lie about this in particular and not other things which showed him in a bad light?

The story was that Adams gave the order to kill her. I don't believe it.
    Hughes was an evil psychopath who was looking to go out with a bang.
    Pity he didn't make these claims to the press while he was still alive & could be questioned on his Bs

• Advertisement

No, sure didn't she run off with a British soldier & leave her kids behind.

No, that's just a lie.

Again with the drama. She wasn't tortured she was shot once in the head, end of.

She was tortured, that is undeniable.

No, that's just a lie.

One of many that was spread by her killers

Pity he didn't make these claims to the press while he was still alive & could be questioned on his Bs

He wasnt though, very easy to judge from your safety in the south.

Attacking a dead persons personality traits, nice. He was not an evil psychopath that's just your radical imagination again. And he gave plenty of interviews for media after the 1994 ceasefire he where explains quit a number of things about unclear events.

Nothing false about it mate, that's what all the evidence would suggest, your the one coming out with the more radical alternative to the most probable answer which is she was just your average informer. Your just blinded by your hatred for Republicanism.

It's a complete & utter lie.
    Not even any room for doubt. She was taken out, tortured & executed.
    All the rubbish you spout just shows how blind you are to the truth

Nite all, will let you defame a murdered woman to your hearts content

One of many that was spread by her killers

So your admitting you told a lie & that you were one of her killers. Maybe you should hand yourself into a police station.

Nite all, will let you defame a murdered woman to your hearts content

How is it defaming? Saying someone was actively on the pro-Union is not defaming them necessarily.

Or do you think it is? Were all BA soldiers and RUC men evil in your eyes?

• Advertisement

It's a complete & utter lie.
    Not even any room for doubt. She was taken out, tortured & executed.
    All the rubbish you spout just shows how blind you are to the truth

Your just looking for things that never happened to happen. I'm trying to balance out the lie that the provos were just murdering psychos. If they were just murdering nutcases with no political aspirations why bother giving out warnings berfore setting off a bomb, surely if you were a murdering psycho you'd want to kill as many possible?

To be honest mate your view is a very outdated stale freestater one that does not hold up to the evidence that is on the table.

Your just looking for things that never happened to happen. I'm trying to balance out the lie that the provos were just murdering psychos. If they were just murdering nutcases with no political aspirations why bother giving out warnings berfore setting off a bomb, surely if you were a murdering psycho you'd want to kill as many possible?

To be honest mate your view is a very outdated stale freestater one that does not hold up to the evidence that is on the table.

If the PIRA were as evil as he says they are how is it defaming someone to say that they informed on them?

:confused:

If the PIRA were as evil as he says they are how is it defaming someone to say that they informed on them?

:confused:

He has the blinders on.

Of course if his beloved Free State government had actually taken some action instead of cowardliness pleas for the British to act during the 69 pogroms there would have been no rise of the Provisional's.

He has the blinders on.

Of course if his beloved Free State government had actually taken some action instead of cowardliness pleas for the British to act during the 69 pogroms there would have been no rise of the Provisional's.

Its more than a decade since the PIRA final cease fire. Sinn Fein are now trying to assure stability in Northern Ireland. Why the one sided obessesion?

Its more than a decade since the PIRA final cease fire. Sinn Fein are now trying to assure stability in Northern Ireland. Why the one sided obessesion?

I have a theory that people who try to paint the IRA as psychos who just love to kill people are well off people who love Capitalism & dislike the more fair & balanced ideas of Irish Republicanism so they try to paint the whole movement as some sort of evil conspiracy that's just out for themselves, which could not be further from the truth. Just a theory.

I have a theory that people who try to paint the IRA as psychos who just love to kill people are well off people who love Capitalism & dislike the more fair & balanced ideas of Irish Republicanism so they try to paint the whole movement as some sort of evil conspiracy that's just out for themselves, which could not be further from the truth. Just a theory.

This is the thing according to the most recent statistics those from a Roman Catholic background are 50 per cent more likely to out of work than those from a Protestant background, this explains the fleggers rage- they have very little, the worst housing the UK, serious unemployment, lots of terrible social BUT they have they little advantage and they will cling to it what ever comes. If you could have full employment and decent facilites things would change radically overnight. The north remains a mess in terms of basic social justice and civil liberties sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Painted Pony

Honestly I can understand fleggers much more easily than I can Free State militant anti-Republicans. I put their rabidness down to hatred of PSF's social democratic politics or a guilty conscience over the north- its probably a mixture of the two.

Well perhaps a short refresher of what PIRA were about about will help you understand?

Contrary to the lie that is continually propagated, they were NOT all about a defense militia for oppressed Catholics. I have heard no reasonable person object to anything they did in this regard. The British state failed in its first duty to protect its citizens / subjects and those it failed needed no wider mandate to justify defending themselves.

However just because some acting for the catholic community were entitled to do something it does mean they were entitled to do anything. And waging a military campaign to end British rule in Ireland was most certainly something they were not entitled to do when the vast, vast majority of Irish people did not agree with this means of achieving such an end.

But of course the lie will continue, which is perhaps none too surprising. Of course it is possible that some actually believe and take comfort in this lie. After all, their are many similarly myopic unionists who insist the RUC were nothing but an exemplary police force, and across the pond, there are plenty who insist that the various US interventions around the world are all about bringing freedom. Republicanism is no more a propaganda free zone than anywhere else!

But back to the IRA and their mindset. Essentially what they did was decree that the Irish were not enlightened / informed / intelligent enough to decide what was best for their country so and it was best for us lesser republicans not to be bother our muddled little head with such matters and leave them to our betters. The most bombastic and chauvinistic old empirical colonel would not have such a condescending stance!

And they threw out charming little phrases like “puppet” government (don’t you like to roll this one out?) and even at one point took to declaring themselves to be the legitimate government and army of Ireland!

Any you are scratching your head and wondering what’s there not to love for Southerners here!!! And with a nice touch or irony you even suggest it might be a distaste for democratic policies!!

The real mystery is that there are people like yourself who genuinely do not understand how outraged, even leaving aside all of the horrors of violence, many Irish people were at this arrogance. Especially so as many who defend PIRA will now make exactly the same “no mandate” argument in rejecting the stances of CIRA and RIRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Well perhaps a short refresher of what PIRA were about about will help you understand?

Contrary to the lie that is continually propagated, they were NOT all about a defense militia for oppressed Catholics. I have heard no reasonable person object to anything they did in this regard. The British state failed in its first duty to protect its citizens / subjects and those it failed needed no wider mandate to justify defending themselves.

However just because some acting for the catholic community were entitled to do something it does mean they were entitled to do anything. And waging a military campaign to end British rule in Ireland was most certainly something they were not entitled to do when the vast, vast majority of Irish people did not agree with this means of achieving such an end.

But of course the lie will continue, which is perhaps none too surprising. Of course it is possible that some actually believe and take comfort in this lie. After all, their are many similarly myopic unionists who insist the RUC were nothing but an exemplary police force, and across the pond, there are plenty who insist that the various US interventions around the world are all about bringing freedom. Republicanism is no more a propaganda free zone than anywhere else!

But back to the IRA and their mindset. Essentially what they did was decree that the Irish were not enlightened / informed / intelligent enough to decide what was best for their country so and it was best for us lesser republicans not to be bother our muddled little head with such matters and leave them to our betters. The most bombastic and chauvinistic old empirical colonel would not have such a condescending stance!

And they threw out charming little phrases like “puppet” government (don’t you like to roll this one out?) and even at one point took to declaring themselves to be the legitimate government and army of Ireland!

Any you are scratching your head and wondering what’s there not to love for Southerners here!!! And with a nice touch or irony you even suggest it might be a distaste for democratic policies!!

The real mystery is that there are people like yourself who genuinely do not understand how outraged, even leaving aside all of the horrors of violence, many Irish people were at this arrogance. Especially so as many who defend PIRA will now make exactly the same “no mandate” argument in rejecting the stances of CIRA and RIRA.

I think puppet government is pretty much spot on to describe the present and past governments.

Look firstly the Provisionals did terrible things that cannot be excused and that I dont deny- in one case in the mid-70s the broke into a house and shot a six year girl at point blank range for instance. Secondly yes primarily they were not a defense militia and never claimed to be that- they claimed to be fighting to remove the occupation though at some point in the mid 80s they ceased to be about national liberation and became about "armed reformism"- however a large part of the CNR population believed that it would not be safe while the union remained which is why you have now former hardened Republicans willing to give the status quo a chance. My point is- that yes the Provos were brutal and often immoral but they were not acting in isolation and to single them out in particular while ignoring the other factors in the conflict is immature.

And yes the southern government is most definitely a puppet of multinational companies, Brussels, the Americans and anyone else powerful who comes along- they have no shame, none at all.

I think puppet government is pretty much spot on to describe the present and past governments.

Giving away our natural gas resources to Shell and our fishing resources to Brussels are two major examples of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Giving away our natural gas resources to Shell and our fishing resources to Brussels are two major examples of this.

wow, bringing those two off-topic lies into a thread full of lies about the innocent IRA with even the hint of a tiny bit of relevance is some achievement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement