Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low fat high quality dog food?

• 29-09-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I currently feed my Labrador select gold sensitive light maxi which is 7% fat but found out recently that it's being discontinued!

He suffers from dermatitis and I need him to be on a low fat food.

Can anyone recommend me a good a food that also has a very low fat content and high fibre content, a low calorie content would be ideal too.

I've looked at all the usual suspects, royal canin (11% fat in the light maxi! Madness!), JWB would suit if it had a lower fat content, barking heads, Arden grange, hills, app laws, hills and RC veterinary food is way too expensive, red mills, gain elite, taste of the wild ... They're all too high in fat content and too low in fibre!

So can anyone recommend me something that would suit? He needs high fibre as he's prone to intestional discomfort, and good quality ingredients for his dermatitis. Fat content because ... Well... He's a Labrador :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Are you looking for a low calorie food, or a low fat food, specifically? There are prescription foods for pancreatitis that fit the bill, but they are extremely expensive.

If you're looking for a low calorie, high fibre food to help keep him trim while supporting healthy skin function, I'd recommend Burns High Oats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

boomerang wrote: »
    Are you looking for a low calorie food, or a low fat food, specifically? There are prescription foods for pancreatitis that fit the bill, but they are extremely expensive.

If you're looking for a low calorie, high fibre food to help keep him trim while supporting healthy skin function, I'd recommend Burns High Oats.

Hmmm burns could be an option actually .... I just find he doesn't do well on any food that's mention gluten, maize or derivatives in general. He's dodgy enough ha i need to be very careful about what he's fed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have you spoken to the staff at Maxi Zoo to see if they are replacing it with something else?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Have you spoken to the staff at Maxi Zoo to see if they are replacing it with something else?

As a former employee of maxi zoo I've done a lot of talking with my former co workers, they're introducing a new line of food they don't know yet as far as I know and I'm just worried I'll be left stuck as this food is the only food that actually agrees with him perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Some of the Lily's kitchen varieties are quite low. If the dog has dermatitis and digestive problems you should probably go grain free

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Some of the Lily's kitchen varieties are quite low. If the dog has dermatitis and digestive problems you should probably go grain free

Definitely want to go grain free, it's just so hard with foods that can be commonly gotten ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So can anyone recommend me something that would suit? He needs high fibre as he's prone to intestional discomfort, and good quality ingredients for his dermatitis. Fat content because ... Well... He's a Labrador :rolleyes:

Thanks!
    Well Bozita Light hits 7% though the ingredient list leaves something to wish for (same is true for all their dry foods sadly) and you'd need to compliment with psyllis seeds or similar most likely.

Lukullus Dog Food is at 9.8% fat but also double the fibre and a bit better on the content.

All the other I'd normally think of sit around 15%+ in fat (i.e. Applaws, Taste of the Wild etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Jenny, sounds like your dog is similar to one of mine - skin issues, gastric issues and prone to put on weight - when you say you want fibre, the problem is the source of fibre (Beet pulp or grain based). You dont want gluten, maize and you definately want to go grain-free.... the problem is that its only the expensive brands that will fit this description. Ive got around it somewhat by feeding my dogs (terriers) home cooked chicken/meat/rice/potatoes/veg but for a labrador thats probably not a great option. I havent read up on the Bozita, Burns high oats, or Lilys Kitchen. Its a nuisance when a food that suits your dog is no longer available. Finding 'different' options available locally to you is another issue too, though many on here get their dogfoods delivered from Internet sites. You will probably get lots more suggestions/options here - let us know how you do?

p.s. just checked ZOOPLUS.IE, my word Lilys Kitchen is EXPENSIVE! They have a special at the moment on Bozita - looks v.interesting. Theres a Burns Chicken/Brown Rice (no wheat/soya/dairy. Hypoallergenic) at a good price on there that might suit you, fat content 7.5%. Theres a 5% discount if you sign up for their newsletter and free delivery for order over E49

aonb wrote: »

p.s. just checked ZOOPLUS.IE, my word Lilys Kitchen is EXPENSIVE!

I only use it as treats (feed raw) so it lasts a good while;)

OP the food you are feeding may be causing the dermatitis and bad tummy. Is there a medial reason you need low fat and high fibre or is the dog just fat and needs to loose weight? If this is the case you could maybe look at ingrediants rather than percentages of fat/fibre etc which will restrict your search. There's plenty of grain free foods - some more expensive than others but you feed less of them so the cost isn't as high as it seems at first.
    BTW rice is a grain/cereal - a lot of people think they're buying hypoallergenic food thats grain free when its actually riced based.

BTW rice is a grain/cereal - a lot of people think they're buying hypoallergenic food thats grain free when its actually riced based.

Could it be the case that the grain-free that dogs are 'preferring' is cereal/wheat/gluten free? Could it be the case that rice is a 'gentler' grain on dogs digestive systems? My old boy doesnt seem to have a problem with rice, but definately has a problem with the cereal grains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you go low fat, and grain free, then the dog will need fibre added to his diet. I give mine Psyllium husk.

Rice is gluten free, surprisingly!

It is. But don't give them ordinary long grain (white) rice. Brown is much better for them.

I don't know.. maybe it's just me but when I imagine rice in dog food it's rice dust and not fluffy grains - like that icky dust at the bottom of the rice krispie box. :p

If you get the Penlan Grange (Burns wet food), then it's whole rice grains. I often boil brown rice for my boy and give it to him with fish or meat and some veg. Goes down a treat!

I don't know.. maybe it's just me but when I imagine rice in dog food it's rice dust and not fluffy grains

That'll be your rice flour :)

feel like such a dope: I cook my dogs food - have always given them regular long grain rice - NEVER thought of BROWN RICE - duh!:o

I give quinoa instead of rice. My adult dog had a very bad reaction to a rice based food he'd been on for 9 month so switched him to a cereal free one (well a few - i found I could chop and change between them without any probs)..then when we switched to raw I decided I wanted to keep it cereal free so use either spuds (he LOVES them lol) or quinoa. I gave them both some leftover rice the other night and they both did huge poos the next day lol so sticking to the quinoa from now on! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arnold27

I currently feed my Labrador select gold sensitive light maxi which is 7% fat but found out recently that it's being discontinued!

Can anyone recommend me a good a food that also has a very low fat content and high fibre content, a low calorie content would be ideal too.

I've looked at all the usual suspects, royal canin (11% fat in the light maxi! Madness!), JWB would suit if it had a lower fat content, barking heads, Arden grange, hills, app laws, hills and RC veterinary food is way too expensive, red mills, gain elite, taste of the wild ... They're all too high in fat content and too low in fibre!

Thanks!

try Arden grange sensitive. It is grain, cereal and gluten free complete dry food. Many of irish stockist has it, or easily to get online for ex. feedyourpet.ie

He's doing brilliant on the food he's currently on, only have problems when he's moved onto a 'non sensitive' food lets say!

Ive taken all your suggestions on board .... However I've heard no one mention James well beloved ... I personally like the fact that it's free from all common allergens and it's 10% fat in standard adult.

He's just one of those odds who gained weight just looking at food ... I'm willing to forego the low fat content as a necessity however if the food agrees with him. Just more walking and swimming for him! :D

I've narrowed my choices to JWB, burns, Arden grange and Lilly's kitchen ... I don't mind spending money on him if it keeps him out of the vet!

• Advertisement

arnold27 wrote: »
    try Arden grange sensitive. It is grain, cereal and gluten free complete dry food. Many of irish stockist has it, or easily to get online for ex. feedyourpet.ie

I've heard that their pulling out of Ireland - a kennel owner who goes to our hydro is in the process of switching foods from AG because he was told it won't be available.... But surely you could order online? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arnold27

Yes, lots of small stores selling AG at the moment and many of the online stores as well.
    I do not think it is difficult to get it however might there is somme kind of product that not sold for all shops.

If you're looking for a weight-loss or weight-reduction food, look at calorie content per 100g, not just fat. Low-fat foods are not necessarily low-calorie.

Hi OP, I was in Maxi Zoo today and was speaking to the manager of that branch, told him about this thread, and the food you use being discontinued, he said it wasn't, it is being repackaged only, and there may be a gap between the food in the old packaging and the new being on the shelves, so if you don't want to change, maybe have another word with your local Maxi Zoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks!

My three labs are on burns chicken and brown rice. One of mine has dermatitis and it is really the only food that suits her and doesn't make her skin flare up. I am convinced it is the fact there is no beet pulp in it! I have yet to see an overweight on burns they are usually quite lean :)

muddypaws wrote: »
    Hi OP, I was in Maxi Zoo today and was speaking to the manager of that branch, told him about this thread, and the food you use being discontinued, he said it wasn't, it is being repackaged only, and there may be a gap between the food in the old packaging and the new being on the shelves, so if you don't want to change, maybe have another word with your local Maxi Zoo.

I'll mention a second time that I used to work for maxi zoo and I know it's being rebranded but they're retting rid of the light option instead theyre introducing a new flavour instead.

Millem wrote: »
    My three labs are on burns chicken and brown rice. One of mine has dermatitis and it is really the only food that suits her and doesn't make her skin flare up. I am convinced it is the fact there is no beet pulp in it! I have yet to see an overweight on burns they are usually quite lean :)

I think burns may be a winner for me ... Reading up on it and it looks good!

I'll mention a second time that I used to work for maxi zoo and I know it's being rebranded but they're retting rid of the light option instead theyre introducing a new flavour instead.

Thank you I did see the first time that you used to work for them, and I'll mention for the second time that I have already mentioned that previously, and I said that to the manager and that you were adamant that they were getting rid of the food, but he was equally as adamant that they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I think burns may be a winner for me ... Reading up on it and it looks good!

I find the cheapest place to buy it is zooplus I buy 2x15kg bags for sound €80 (depending on exchange rate) and it lasts me 42 days for 3 labs. (2 burns cups a day per dog) So I roughly say 70c a day per dog. My parents have a lab and he gets 2x15kg and it lasts ages! Also sorry to be graphic but the poos are smaller and like clock work on all 4 labs. Two a day 1 after breakfast 1 after dinner. They have had all the flavours except for the high oats one and like them all. I have tried other brands but always go back to burns. I rarely give them "dog treats" unless I get them free from zooplus so I suppose that helps their weight!

• Advertisement
Advertisement