Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay scales for animal care/vet assistants, groomers

• 29-09-2013 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hi hope somebody here can help me out. I'm researching average wages for the above. Any vet assistants or groomers here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You're talking minimum wage with no real pay scale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Vet assistants would be at the mercy of a salary scale, as boomerang says that's going to be in and around the minimum wage.
    But as a groomer, are you not your own boss? Full-time grooming is hard work, and the initial outlay for the right gear is high, but the returns are reasonably good. You earn it, but it's a reasonable living I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Thanks. I could have been more specific about the groomers. What I have in mind is someone employed by a vet in a clinic to do grooming, not self employed groomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbthevet

Usually paid on commision. Vet takes a cut. Some charge rent aswell. A lot depends on area as to earning potential. I think the best way to go is to move around between 5 vets, being at one a day. That way u get more clients

Thanks everybody that's all I need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Sk8rchic

With the term Vet assistant you have to be quite careful. As it stands and to veterinary practices, Vet assistant is usually a junior fully qualified vet who works for the vet that owns the practice.
    There are a few courses around that have Veterinary assistant as a course, this is completely different as it is a year long course and you don't come out the other side being a vet. These are really Veterinary care assistant courses or pre-veterinary nurse courses.
    And most of the time you'd be lucky to get minimum wage. Hope that helps you further.

Thanks Sk8rchic, I've never heard of that distinction before. I'm actually a VN myself, was just looking to hear from people who work as groomers or assistants to see what sort of wage arrangement they might have, eg minimum wage plus commission of dogs groomed etc.

Advertisement