Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Mini Question

• 29-09-2013 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of picking up one of these.

I just wondered do they come with a wall charger or just a USB cable for charging? I was looking there on Apple.ie and it suggested I also buy a wall charger so wondered.

Btw if it does include one, is there another type of charger Apple sells that will charge it faster than standard? Just going off a couple of YT vids I've watched on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭webpal

Mine came with both, you plug the USB cable into the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm like yourself, in the market for a mini. hold off.

I was actually at the till of CompuB this weekend with an iPad mini (even though I know there's a new one due in two weeks approx.) and I stopped myself. there's an iPad event rumoured to happen in the first half of october.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I'm like yourself, in the market for a mini. hold off.

I was actually at the till of CompuB this weekend with an iPad mini (even though I know there's a new one due in two weeks approx.) and I stopped myself. there's an iPad event rumoured to happen in the first half of october.

I know mate but it's the price of €340 I like off Apple.ie. The newer one would be a good bit more I'd say and I'm just about justifying buying this one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The price point of the new iPad mini will be the same as the old one... And even if it's more expensive as soon as the new one is announced shops will sell off the old stock even cheaper if the new one doesn't tickle your fancy, you could save some cash all for just waiting two weeks :)

The price point of the new iPad mini will be the same as the old one... And even if it's more expensive as soon as the new one is announced shops will sell off the old stock even cheaper if the new one doesn't tickle your fancy, you could save some cash all for just waiting two weeks :)

Ah well in that case I'll hold off and see whats what, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

**beware,

Apple products are always in limited supply during the holidays. The mini was extremely scarce in 2012, though you could have picked up a retina jus about anywhere before Christmas, nobody wanted to spend that much on a gift (because I love you, but I don't $500 love you)

I can all but guarantee you that if apple has any changes to the lineup in October, they will be a challenge to purchase by November. 1st minis will sell out like wildfire and retina minis will probably be snatched up by resellers in what little available quantity there will be. Food for thought: a gold 5S sold on eBay for $10,000 last week. People WILL buy these from under you, industriously, just to flip them for profit.

If you want the mini, consider getting it soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Herrick wrote: »
    Ah well in that case I'll hold off and see whats what, thanks :)

Sold my iPad mini last month, new one should be out next month so I know it will be worth less. Like was said earlier; hold off, new one most likely same price or slightly dearer, current one will become cheaper.... Unless apple decides to keep making both and sell the new one at a premium (like they did when iPad 3 came out).
    If you can't wait check the refurbished models from apple direct:
    http://store.apple.com/ie/search/refurbished-ipad-mini#!
    The cheapest version is not in stock at the moment but keep checking, it's normally €289

It's likely they will continue to sell the current mini, this is Tim Cook's Apple now.

As frustrating as it is for me to support multiple gens I saw way to much of people who literally would get very interested in the product and deliberately wait until it discontinued so they could snatch it on clearance. Happened a lot with the first few waves of android tablets.

When the iPad mini 2 is announced typically how long should it be before it's available in the Irish website? I see the 5s isn't on it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Straight away, the iPhone's are different because there's no release date specified for the 5s or 5c

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Don't buy, wait.

I have a mini and they are a great little thing, especially for travelling or carrying with you.

However it's still an annoyance that it isn't retina, I will say that ios7 seems to have improved that a
    a bit with the thinner text.

If a retina one comes out I'd be likely to get it instead of the current one myself so I'd advise anyone to wait.

copacetic wrote: »
    Don't buy, wait.

I have a mini and they are a great little thing, especially for travelling or carrying with you.

However it's still an annoyance that it isn't retina, I will say that ios7 seems to have improved that a
    a bit with the thinner text.

If a retina one comes out I'd be likely to get it instead of the current one myself so I'd advise anyone to wait.

Thanks man. After all the advice I've been given here I'm definitely going to wait for the mini 2 :)

supporting my earlier statement:

http://gizmodo.com/reuters-a-retina-ipad-mini-would-face-severe-stock-sho-1439839472

Rumors have been swirling which suggest that Apple is readying a new iPad mini with Retina display. Now, though, Reuters reports that supplies will be severely limited when the new tablet goes on sale.

Citing a number of supply chain sources, Reuters claims that Apple will be "unable to widely roll out" the Retina display iPad mini following its rumored release later this month. Launching so close to the holidays, that could leave Apple lacking on the run up to Christmas.

According to Reuters, suppliers have only very recently started preparing hardware for the launch of a mini Retina display. In terms of new rumors, the only nugget in the report is that Apple has imposed strict power-saving requirements on the device—whatever that quite means.

With an Apple event anticipated later this month, we perhaps don't have long to wait before we find out if the rumors are true. [Reuters]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn’t read much into these supplier reports. It seems like we get the same thing in advance of major product refresh. Even if there is some truth to it, it stinks of stock price manipulation.

I’d like a Retina Mini for my next iPad, but I’ll probably end up getting an iPad 5 instead. I can see the Mini suffering from many of the same issues as the iPad 3. Thicker and heavier with reduced battery life and performance. Or the price will go up. With the iPad 5 sporting a Mini-like design and even better performance, it’s probably the one to get this generation.

I can see the Mini suffering from many of the same issues as the iPad 3. Thicker and heavier with reduced battery life and performance. Or the price will go up. With the iPad 5 sporting a Mini-like design and even better performance, it’s probably the one to get this generation.

Has there been some designs leaked already? Going by what you've said I mean.

What contributed to the iPad 3's issues? I assume it was with trying to power the retina screen?

Also how bad were the battery and performance issues in the iPad 3? Very significant or minor?

Advertisement