Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local county council Irish language notices

• 29-09-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is any obligation on the county council to change misspellings on Irish language customer notices that are posted up on walls inside the offices?

Was in the motor tax office last week and spellings were all over the place and wrong on practically every notice. Just too ridiculous to let go, really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Unlikely, they appear to show very little regard for any Irish language signage, be it internal customer service notices in their buildings or notices posted on public roads, including safety notices, directional notices etc. I have seen several notices, including fixed signal boards posted by Galway County Council which contain several spelling errors. I often wonder who actually looks after these matters in the various County Council offices - to me it is totally unacceptable, given that Irish is an official EU language and that a similar situation would not be allowed to pertain were the spelling errors in English. Incorrect spelling in any language is a basic error and in my opinion reflects very poorly indeed on the authority concerned. But, as we all know, Council staff are totally unaccountable to anyone, are protected by Croke Park and Haddington Road Agreements and jolly well do or not do as they please with full immunity and lack of transparency and accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Get in touch with the councils Irish Language Officer if they have one, if that does not work, send an email to An Coimisinéir Teanga, His office should be able to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

An Coilean wrote: »
    Get in touch with the councils Irish Language Officer if they have one, if that does not work, send an email to An Coimisinéir Teanga, His office should be able to sort it out.

Yep, will find out if they still have an Irish officer on the Jobbridge placement!

Can the commissioner actually do anything to enforce it though? Though presumably if they receive a complaint from that office that might be enough to spur them into action I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

pog it wrote: »
    Yep, will find out if they still have an Irish officer on the Jobbridge placement!

Can the commissioner actually do anything to enforce it though? Though presumably if they receive a complaint from that office that might be enough to spur them into action I guess?

Depends, not entirely sure but I think it is a general obligation on all public bodies to have signage properly bilingually under the act. If not it may be mentioned under the councils own language scheme.

In either of these cases An Coimisinéir can enforce it, if not then he can conduct an informal enquirey and make recomendations with regard best practice. You can look at the guide book to the act available on the website to see if it is a general obligation. If your not sure though the best people to talk to are An Coimisinéir's office, they will be able to tell you exactly what they can do in this situation.

Advertisement