Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bits did you not understand? (Spoilers for all seasons)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jaykhunter wrote: »
    When Jesse was about to leave, he copped Hewell must've taken his weed when he bumped into him/patted him down, he made the connection that the Hewell bump also happened seasons ago when he lost the ricin, Fring wasnt a factor at the time so it must've been Walt to put Hewell up to it : Walt took the ricin, Walt poisoned Brock.

It's a bit of a leap but he knows Walt is full of **** so he beats it out of Saul.

But doesn't Jesse already know that it wasn't ricin, it was lily of the valley? Don't the doctors tell him that near the end of season 4, before we see Walt sitting beside the plant at the end?

So I didn't get why he automatically jumped to the conclusion that Walt poisoned Brock, the ricin was irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

When does Season 6 start? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Luap wrote: »
    Season 6 - Episode 1: Welcome to Belize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

What does Felina mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

MOH wrote: »
    But doesn't Jesse already know that it wasn't ricin, it was lily of the valley? Don't the doctors tell him that near the end of season 4, before we see Walt sitting beside the plant at the end?

So I didn't get why he automatically jumped to the conclusion that Walt poisoned Brock, the ricin was irrelevant.

Jesse's smart. He knew that he didn't actually lose the ricin cigarette, he had it in his cigarette packet that morning. He also knew that the one person to gain something from him thinking Brock was poisoned was Walt.

I don't think it was that he automatically jumped to conclusions, but I got the impression that a few things hadn't added up in his mind during the whole incident. They suddenly made sense to him when he remembered Huell patting him down that day and he was able to put 2 and 2 together.

He also had just recently experienced Walt trying to manipulate him to go away and start a new life, and it would have reminded him of how Walt played him before Gus died.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

What does Felina mean?

From another forum:

When the Breaking Bad Finale title was revealed as “Felina,” there were a lot of theories about what it could mean. The simplest explanation was that it was an anagram for finale. Another more complex explanation tied the letters Fe to Iron, Li to Lithium, and Na to Sodium to arrive at the message Blood, Meth, and Tears. Iron being the dominant chemical in blood, lithium being the most commonly used metal in the manufacture of meth, and sodium being a major element in tears.

However, the true meaning of the Felina title appears to have been the Marty Robbins’ song El Paso. When Walter White is rummaging through the glove compartment of a stolen car, a Marty Robbins’ cassette tape falls out. When he finds the keys and drives off in the car, the song El Paso starts playing.

The lyrics of El Paso are about a gunfighter who falls in love with a Mexican girl named Felina. Near the end of the song, the gunfighter gets in shootout, where he gets struck in the side by a bullet. At the end of the song, the gunfighter lays dying, while Felina kneels by his side. If you listen to the full song, then you will notice that several lines of the song could be interpreted as laying out what happens in the Breaking Bad finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

penzo wrote: »
    there's 3 things I would have liked to have known tho but really it's doesnt affect the storyline that much or anything

who gus was or who he was connected to that made the cartel spare his life in the flashback.

how walt poisoned brock and if brock thought it was him as he was acting sort of weird around him.

a bit more background on walt and gretchen and the early grey matter days.

but it doesn't wreck my head or anything, just everything they done so far was brilliant so just want more cos i'm greedy !

At comic con, Vince gilligan mentions how he poisions brock. Crushed the lilly of the valley and put it in his Juice box in school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/21/breaking-bad-comic-con-2013_n_3631506.html

I would have liked to know the background to gus too (his connections and all), would probably make a good spin off show, prequel to breaking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Who was Heizenberg...?? ;))

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What does Felina mean?

Am I the only one who thinks it simply meant Finale. We got closure from the episode and everything was final. No turning back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

So we get a bit of background on who Walt's father was and how he tragically died from Huntington disease when he was still very young but have they ever explained Walt's relationship with his mother? I know in '4 days out' that Walt uses his mother as an alibi to cook meth and in another episode,it's hinted at that Skyler didn't get along with her but was there any other information on her?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Holsten wrote: »
    Yeah with zero evidence? The DEA had pretty much NOTHING on Walt but accusations from Marie and Skylar.

NOT with zero evidence.

The cops were there listening on the phone, remember, and two DEA agents, dead, remember, and Saul missing, etc., etc.

If they went to the media and made those claims, Marie and Skyler, it'd be a national man hunt and a conviction by the media in less than 24hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

jaykhunter wrote: »
    When Jesse was about to leave, he copped Hewell must've taken his weed when he bumped into him/patted him down, he made the connection that the Hewell bump also happened seasons ago when he lost the ricin, Fring wasnt a factor at the time so it must've been Walt to put Hewell up to it : Walt took the ricin, Walt poisoned Brock.

It's a bit of a leap but he knows Walt is full of **** so he beats it out of Saul.

But Jesse was told by the doctors that it was Lily of the Valley that poisoned Brock? Why did he then suspect it was ricin? Why would he think that after he was told for sure it was Lily of the Valley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

G1032 wrote: »
    But Jesse was told by the doctors that it was Lily of the Valley that poisoned Brock? Why did he then suspect it was ricin? Why would he think that after he was told for sure it was Lily of the Valley?

It was Lily of the Valley that Walt used.

- Walt had Huell steal the ricin
    - Walt used Lily of the Valley to poison Brock
    - Jesse figures out that Walt had Huell steal it and poisoned Brock with what he thought was the ricin
    - Walt manipulates Jesse into thinking Gus stole the ricin and poisoned Brock in order to get Jesse to kill Walt (Jesse said he wouldn't cook for Gus if Walt was killed, but Walt lied to Jesse and made him think that Gus was framing Walt to get Jesse to kill Walt himself)
    - Jesse and Walt work together to kill Gus
    - Jesse then finds out it was LotV, and not ricin, but Walt convinces him they did the right thing by killing Gus anyway

Basically, it was Walt's plan to make it look like Gus was framing him so Jesse would side with Walt again.

When Jesse later realises Huell lifted his weed from his pocket, he remembers back to what happened and knowing how evil and manipulative Walt had become, he realises he was right all along and Walt did have Huell steal the ricin and that Walt was the one who poisoned Brock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He didn't think they used the ricin, he just realised that Walt arranged with Saul to have it stolen from his cigarette pack so that he would think Gus had used it on Brock. Even though he now knew it was lily of the valley, he knew that Walter was responsible for the poisoning and it wasn't a case of Brock accidentally eating the berries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

hfallada wrote: »
    Does anyone else think hanks reason for catching Heisenberg after he knew it was Walt, was purely self centred? He didnt want to catch him because he was a DEA agent but because Walt had betrayed him and made him out to be a fool by being under his nose the whole time.

If Hank were to go to the DEA about Walter when he first finds out, it would do Hank more harm than it would Walt. As Walt himself says, his cancer will ensure that he will never see the inside of a prison, especially since Walt has disposed on any concrete evidence (Gus's CCTV footage, the superlab) or, until Jesse resurfaces, witnesses (Mike and his ten guys) to back up what at that point would just look like Hank reaching at straws like he was when he brought his suspicions on Fring to the DEA. As for Hank, his career, as well as his and the DEA's reputation would be in tatters if he were to claim that someone right under his nose was the man they had been searching for for over a year, much like Merket having to resign when his good buddy Fring was found playing them for fools.

That was before the DVD. With the DVD in play, there is little Hank can do to claim that he had no involvement in the Heisenberg case, as from the DEA's perspective, his passion for retaining point on the case was just so no other agent would lead it and find something incriminating Hank. Hank realises himself how effed the DVD makes him because it reveals to him that his medical bills after his attack by the Salamancas were paid for my Walt's money and not his insurance (which only Hank believed to be the case - Hank swallowed the cardcounting story to explain the Whites' wealth but was never under the impression that money was going to his treatment), which would further give credence to the notion that Hank was pulling the strings, as the DEA would never believe that Hank would be unaware who was paying the bills and that it would be unconnected to a coincidental windfall for Walt.

Jesse's statements, the barrels of money and, as a bonus, Walt's accidental phone confession to the murders of Krazy-8, Emilio, the rival dealers and his part in the bombing that killed Gus, Hector and Tyrus, would have been plenty of evidence to catch Walt without ruining Hank and the DEA. Unfortunately he and Steve never get a chance to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

when did Marie stop shoplifting?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He didn't think they used the ricin, he just realised that Walt arranged with Saul to have it stolen from his cigarette pack so that he would think Gus had used it on Brock. Even though he now knew it was lily of the valley, he knew that Walter was responsible for the poisoning and it wasn't a case of Brock accidentally eating the berries.

I can't believe how long it took for the penny to drop with Jesse. I had my suspicions during the scene where Jesse confronts WW but the scene with the vacuum cleaner nailed my suspicions into conviction WW was behind it.

Poor Jesse.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Luap wrote: »
    The next season has a particularly strong batch of blue meth which turns everyone who takes it into zombies. It'll be a cross over with AMC's other show, The Walking Dead and Walt Jnr is going to be the main man in it it. Working title is Walking Bad.

Big Game wrote: »
    The next season has a particularly strong batch of blue meth which turns everyone who takes it into zombies. It'll be a cross over with AMC's other show, The Walking Dead and Walt Jnr is going to be the main man in it it. Working title is Walking Bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

folan wrote: »
    when did Marie stop shoplifting?

I think the wake up call was when she got arrested that time at the open house and Hank had to go and bail her out. She started seeing the psychotherapist (Dave I think?) then and it all just went away and was never mentioned again! Bit of a dead end storyline that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Jikashi wrote: »

Probably would have been bad taste of they called it Walking Bad in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just one thing:
    HOW THE HELL DID WALT GET THE RICIN INTO THE STEVIA SACHET?!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I can't believe how long it took for the penny to drop with Jesse. I had my suspicions during the scene where Jesse confronts WW but the scene with the vacuum cleaner nailed my suspicions into conviction WW was behind it.

Poor Jesse.:o

Wasn't that season 5? So we already knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Just one thing:

A syringe and a good needle would do tue trick

I'd imagine he just made a small hole and spilled it into the sachet. The vial he kept it is was very thin. It's probably why he chose to approach Lydia and Todd when he did; if Lydia's attention hadn't been diverted by Walter's offer and the subsequent discussion, she might have noticed the packet she was pouring from had a small rip already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Penn wrote: »
    It was Lily of the Valley that Walt used.

- Walt had Huell steal the ricin
    - Walt used Lily of the Valley to poison Brock
    - Jesse figures out that Walt had Huell steal it and poisoned Brock with what he thought was the ricin
    - Walt manipulates Jesse into thinking Gus stole the ricin and poisoned Brock in order to get Jesse to kill Walt (Jesse said he wouldn't cook for Gus if Walt was killed, but Walt lied to Jesse and made him think that Gus was framing Walt to get Jesse to kill Walt himself)
    - Jesse and Walt work together to kill Gus
    - Jesse then finds out it was LotV, and not ricin, but Walt convinces him they did the right thing by killing Gus anyway

Basically, it was Walt's plan to make it look like Gus was framing him so Jesse would side with Walt again.

When Jesse later realises Huell lifted his weed from his pocket, he remembers back to what happened and knowing how evil and manipulative Walt had become, he realises he was right all along and Walt did have Huell steal the ricin and that Walt was the one who poisoned Brock

This leaves out one important part imo. Jesse found the ricin in the roomba. Case closed. Huell never stole anything the first time around as far as Jesse is concerned. Huell stealing the weed triggered a memory of an event that Jesse didn't know about.

Do we assume that Jesse is knows what has happened to Walt leading up to the final scene? Have the nazis been telling him the news on Heisenberg? Jesse would have blown his brains out in a flash if he assumed he was still living it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I didn't see
    Walter getting shot

Its rather clear that it happened. I just didn't see it first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

You do see Walt get shot, or, rather, you hear him get shot (he audibly reacts to getting shot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Just one thing:

My take on it is that, he said he knew her habits (same place, same time) so my assumption is that he knew she would sit in that same seat as always and order the same thing, which she would use her stevia in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Grimebox wrote: »
    This leaves out one important part imo. Jesse found the ricin in the roomba. Case closed. Huell never stole anything the first time around as far as Jesse is concerned. Huell stealing the weed trigger a memory of an event that Jesse didn't know about
    Great point that I forgot.

The whole Jesse,Huell,Brock,Walt, pickpocket and ricin thing just didn't add up for me. No matter how many explanations I've read about, it I just don't get how Jesse got to the stage of trying to beat the cr@p out of Saul. It just didn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

chickenboy wrote: »
    From another forum:

When the Breaking Bad Finale title was revealed as “Felina,” there were a lot of theories about what it could mean. The simplest explanation was that it was an anagram for finale. Another more complex explanation tied the letters Fe to Iron, Li to Lithium, and Na to Sodium to arrive at the message Blood, Meth, and Tears. Iron being the dominant chemical in blood, lithium being the most commonly used metal in the manufacture of meth, and sodium being a major element in tears.

However, the true meaning of the Felina title appears to have been the Marty Robbins’ song El Paso. When Walter White is rummaging through the glove compartment of a stolen car, a Marty Robbins’ cassette tape falls out. When he finds the keys and drives off in the car, the song El Paso starts playing.

The lyrics of El Paso are about a gunfighter who falls in love with a Mexican girl named Felina. Near the end of the song, the gunfighter gets in shootout, where he gets struck in the side by a bullet. At the end of the song, the gunfighter lays dying, while Felina kneels by his side. If you listen to the full song, then you will notice that several lines of the song could be interpreted as laying out what happens in the Breaking Bad finale.

But the girl in Marty Robbins song is called Feleena not Felina

Marty Robbins wrote a follow up song to el paso
    A follow-up to 'El Paso', this tells the story of Feleena's life.
    Felina is an anagram of finale Sin e Vince worked in the El paso song
    later as an afterthought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Something that's bugged me for ages is why did Walt jr want to be called Flynn?. Was that ever explained?

ken wrote: »
    Something that's bugged me for ages is why did Walt jr want to be called Flynn?. Was that ever explained?

Probably because he hated his father.

Probably because he hated his father.
    I understand that, Why Flynn though?

He wasn't a huge fan of Walt at the start and wanted to create his own identity.

I don't think it matters that much.

Big fan of Errol Flynn.

I don't think it matters that much.
    It (sob) does (sob) to (sob)me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Great point that I forgot.

The whole Jesse,Huell,Brock,Walt, pickpocket and ricin thing just didn't add up for me. No matter how many explanations I've read about, it I just don't get how Jesse got to the stage of trying to beat the cr@p out of Saul. It just didn't make sense.

I think what makes it so hard to swallow is the idea that Gus would steal Jessie's ricin and use it to poison Brock. Gus would have had absolutely nothing to gain from such a bizarre act, but that is what Walt wanted Jesse to believe. I don't know why Walt ever thought that Jesse would believe it, and I don't know why Jesse did believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

This leaves out one important part imo. Jesse found the ricin in the roomba. Case closed. Huell never stole anything the first time around as far as Jesse is concerned. Huell stealing the weed triggered a memory of an event that Jesse didn't know about.
    But he only finds it in the roomba after Walt comes over to help him look for it, plus he said at the time he already checked it. Jesse may have had suspicions about the whole thing and Huell lifting the weed was the final piece in the puzzle for him.

Do we assume that Jesse is knows what has happened to Walt leading up to the final scene? Have the nazis been telling him the news on Heisenberg? Jesse would have blown his brains out in a flash if he assumed he was still living it up
    One look at Walt would have been enough for Jesse to know that wasn't the case.

Crackle wrote: »
    But he only finds it in the roomba after Walt comes over to help him look for it, plus he said at the time he already checked it. Jesse may have had suspicions about the whole thing and Huell lifting the weed was the final piece in the puzzle for him.

I thought what he found in the roomba was a fake one WW planted there while WW kept the real one.

This is a Season 1&2 question really, but bugged me a bit.

Tuco Salamanca was a local distributor or dealer? did he work in parallel with Gus, or as a dealer under Gus (which I find hard to swallow with a Salamanca being below Gus given the history), or another distributor?

At some time, it was said that Gus was responsible for the cartel operations north of the border, and the impression i got was that this was a long standing arrangement. However, how then was Tuco operating? Was ABQ a standalone area for him to work in? My U.S.A. geography is dreadful, but would ABQ be big enough for there to be 2 rival, yet connected, distributors?

Also, if Tuco was handling the dealing, while Gus handled the manufacturing and distribution, as in they were partners, wouldn't Tuco have brought Walt and Jesse to Gus to get them to cook for him, instead of deciding to try to get to Mexico with the cartel? since, you would assume, Gus would have easier ties and methods of transport across the borders to go with his years of experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tuco was smalltime. Dealing in a few pounds at a time. Gus was nationwide and was dealing with thousands of pounds. It's perfectly conceivable that he wouldn't even be on Gus' radar.

Of course the real answer is probably that Gus didn't exist yet in the show as Vince hadn't thought him up yet but the above answer is sill plausible and believable.

Tuco was given some territory due to his family connections. Also I don't think Gus distributed locally at all, he sent it away to reduce the possibility of a connection to him.

I think I'll have to rewatch everything to make sure though. :pac:

Crackle wrote: »

I understand how it was supposed to work. I just don't think its plausible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesse didn't know exactly how Walt did it and was acting purely on emotion, but knowing how manipulative Walt was and how he'd do anything he needed to do to win, and knowing that Gus didn't poison Brock but that Brock being poisoned was a huge coincidence which made him side with Walt and help him kill Gus... it was enough to make him realise that Walt was behind it. As another poster said, it was Walt who helped him find the ricin in somewhere Jesse had already checked.

Jesse didn't know everything that happened, but he realised Walt had to have been behind it. That was enough. Jesse has always acted on pure emotion, and though he didn't know or consider all the facts behind it, it confirmed a suspicion he'd had and just made him snap.
    I think what makes it so hard to swallow is the idea that Gus would steal Jessie's ricin and use it to poison Brock. Gus would have had absolutely nothing to gain from such a bizarre act, but that is what Walt wanted Jesse to believe. I don't know why Walt ever thought that Jesse would believe it, and I don't know why Jesse did believe it.

Gus couldn't kill Walt because Jesse wouldn't allow it. Jesse wouldn't cook for him if Walt was killed.

Walt convinced Jesse that if Gus poisoned Brock, Jesse would think it was Walt (as revenge for how Jesse sided with Gus) and would kill Walt himself. Jesse being close to Walt meant Walt would let his guard down (as Walt knew Gus wanted him dead), and Jesse killing Walt himself would mean he'd keep cooking for Gus and Walt would be dead. Walt also reminded Jesse about Tomas, Andrea's brother, and how Gus' men killed him, so Gus had history of using and hurting children, whereas Walt was a father and would never hurt a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

its the double-bluff.
    walt uses brock as the pawn to play both gus and jesse. he backs himself that jesse will side with him, which turns out to be the case (just about, scene where jesse has the gun pointed at walt's forehead). walt plays the game and wins. "I won".

I suppose if Jesse actually didn't fully realise it until he confronts Saul, it makes more sense to me. Saul spilling the beans would confirm his outlandish conclusion.

What you're saying Penn just fits together too neatly for me. But that's something I've come to realise recently with breaking bad, especially in the later seasons.

folan wrote: »
    This is a Season 1&2 question really, but bugged me a bit.

Tuco Salamanca was a local distributor or dealer? did he work in parallel with Gus, or as a dealer under Gus (which I find hard to swallow with a Salamanca being below Gus given the history), or another distributor?

At some time, it was said that Gus was responsible for the cartel operations north of the border, and the impression i got was that this was a long standing arrangement. However, how then was Tuco operating? Was ABQ a standalone area for him to work in? My U.S.A. geography is dreadful, but would ABQ be big enough for there to be 2 rival, yet connected, distributors?

Also, if Tuco was handling the dealing, while Gus handled the manufacturing and distribution, as in they were partners, wouldn't Tuco have brought Walt and Jesse to Gus to get them to cook for him, instead of deciding to try to get to Mexico with the cartel? since, you would assume, Gus would have easier ties and methods of transport across the borders to go with his years of experience?

When Tuco died, Heisenberg takes over the void he left and has Jesse, Skinny Pete, Badger and Combo dispatched within Tuco's old turf. When Walt orders them to expand, they goes out into different territory manned by Gus' dealers, which is why Combo was killed. This would seem to suggest that Tuco's turf was previously separate from Gus' even before Heisenberg came on the scene. The cartel could have had the region before Gus built his empire, and because Tuco was descended from a high ranking cartel boss (Hector Salamance), that area was probably grandfather-claused as long as Salamancas operated there. Gus would not mind this as it is a negligible amount of geography in his otherwise huge empire, and to stay on somewhat amicable terms with the cartel bosses as long as Tuco and his men didn't venture outside their spot on the map.

yeah, it just seems strange to me that it was never made that clear, but then it probably didn't need to be, and im over analysing it to the point of confusing myself.

it just strikes me as strange that the two would operate in parallel in the same area, though both were branches of the same company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement