Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bits did you not understand? (Spoilers for all seasons)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Armelodie wrote: »
    Maybe Fe_Li_Na has something to do with egyptian gods...no wait thats lost...mmmm maybe if you watch all of Breaking Bad whilst listening to pink floyd ...mm
    Again, simply amazing response. So concise and to the point, every thought about entering debating competitions? I'm sure you'd be great at it! Listen, if you want to dispute what I say fair enough, point out exactly why it's wrong (with proof) and if it's convincing enough I'll more than happily concede. But don't be a patronizing arse because there really is no point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Well then, guess some people underestimate Vince Gilligan sometimes

No, this was someone out there in Internet Land trying, and failing, to be as smart as Vince Gilligan.

It's a totally convoluted, tenuous and ridiculous explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I feel quite silly for asking this and think i have missed something very obvious but, who was it that rang Hank when the Cartel twins were coming to kill him in the car park?

This is probably one of the only things I wasn't sure about. At the time I thought it was Walt because why would Mike, Gus etc. care if they killed him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

One thing that all this 'felina' talk reminds me of is the recurring motif in BB of the burnt face, where both Gus and the teddy bear were similarly scarred. I don't think that the writers really had any kind of idea in mind when they repeated the scarring pattern for Gus but when they saw all the speculation on websites and stuff they just went with it and did it with Jesse as well. People worked so hard to project some sort of meaning onto the pink teddy and the eyeball that the writers just sort of responded to that in anyway they could think of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Alanhooly wrote: »
    I feel quite silly for asking this and think i have missed something very obvious but, who was it that rang Hank when the Cartel twins were coming to kill him in the car park?

This is probably one of the only things I wasn't sure about. At the time I thought it was Walt because why would Mike, Gus etc. care if they killed him?

It was Gus. He set the twins on Hank so they would leave him and Walt alone. He wanted Hank to kill twins (hence Mike finishing off the surviving twin) so they could not tell the cartel that he had sent them after Hank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Is Huell still in the safe house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

threein99 wrote: »

Presumably.

Presumably also WWs mother was never told her son was dying of lung cancer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭John Dodger

Jikashi wrote: »
    The cartel wouldn't have given a rat's ass if the Cousins killed Walt, but would definitely have an issue with them going after a DEA agent. Gus knew the Cousins weren't prepared to wait for his cook to be done, so took advantage of the Cousins' impatience for revenge and sicced them on Hank without the cartel's knowledge and start a war in which he would appear to be uninvolved in the eyes of both the DEA and more to the point, the cartel..

Only thing I can't remember for sure, were the Cousins aware that Hank Schrader was a DEA agent? If they were, surely they would be aware of the ****storm they would cause for the cartel if they attacked him. I know they attacked him in the DEA parking lot but Hank was in plain clothes and vehicle with no weapon.

Yes, the brothers were aware Hank was DEA. Gus counted on there being a storm - he warned Hank so that there would be a shoutout - so that it would cut off the supply of meth from the cartel, thus allowing Gus to start his own cook (previously Gus had just been a distributor for the cartel).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

threein99 wrote: »

Yeah but that's not the end of his story

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5f24c5785e/huell-s-rules

I dont understand why Lydia didnt seek medical help the moment she was told about the ricin- she was sick but still fairly lucid as can be seen in the phone conversation. If she had rang for an ambulance there and then, could her stomach have been pumped out and maybe the effects reversed. In short, is there any way she could survive?

How do we know she didn't seek medical help?

In any case there has no cure for ricin poisoning even if she told them which she could hardly do without incriminating herself.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    How could they do a movie? WW is dead, everybody is dead bar Jessie and (in a ridiculous turn of events) Lydia. I would have to presume that it was too late for her, why would Walt tell her if she could save herself?

That Arrested Development movie has been in "the works" for years.

Ever heard of flashbacks?

Why was Lydia's death ridiculous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

FFS Can we move past the bloody "Blood Meth and Tears" ****.

Alanhooly wrote: »

Gus. He wanted a shoot out so that the DEA & federales would focus attention on the cartel blocking the distribution of meth to Gus thus allowing him the freedom to set up his own meth operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im rewatching BB at the moment and a big mystery from the Season 3 finale is: How come Gale didnt recognise Jessie when he opened the door to him moments before he was shot? He had a clear view of Jessie when he wandered into the lab shouting "Yo bitch" when he was about to take over the lab- in fact Gale stared at him for ages in disbelief so he got a good look at him, and we see from other clips he hardly is a social butterfly so he surely would have remembered the guy who took away his dream career with Master White..instead he opens the door and says "Hi there can I help you", as if Jessie was a complete stranger. A bit weak with that script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

He never spoke with Jesse did he, or knew his name. What should he have said, hi there old buddy? He could have said, "What are you doing here" or "What do you want" but that wasn't really Gales nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

nuxxx wrote: »
    He never spoke with Jesse did he, or knew his name. What should he have said, hi there old buddy? He could have said, "What are you doing here" or "What do you want" but that wasn't really Gales nature

But he didnt have to have spoken to him or known his name. We know from his activities in his flat that he seems a bit if a social leper who loves singing camp songs and dedicating his life to science so he definitely would have remembered Jessies face as he was the man who ruined his career. All the more odd when he treated him like a stranger upon opening the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Just watched the scene again for reference. Gale is surprised to see the guy and asked how he can help him. Whether or not he recognised Jesse from the lab, until he pulls the gun out he has no reason to fear him and knows nothing about him, so he's neither going to slam the door or invite him in. Unlike if Gus or Walt were to come to the door, he has no presumption as to why Jesse's there, not to mention Jesse is silent and visibly upset, so he asked how he could help him.

If someone I knew of through other people but had had no real interaction with myself, came to my door in the middle of the night, they might as well be a stranger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But he didnt have to have spoken to him or known his name. We know from his activities in his flat that he seems a bit if a social leper who loves singing camp songs and dedicating his life to science so he definitely would have remembered Jessies face as he was the man who ruined his career. All the more odd when he treated him like a stranger upon opening the door.

When Jesse first went to the lab it was right after Hank had beaten him up. His face was severely swollen. This was the only time that Gale met him so it's not a stretch to think that maybe he didn't recognise him because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Who shot ****?

Nice one, on the first series of the wire here. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Liamalone wrote: »
    Nice one, on the first series of the wire here. Thanks

It really doesn't matter. Unlike bb, the wire doesn't rely on suspense or cliffhangers, etc. I could tell you the whole lot now and the wire would still amaze you. That's why it is the best. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I could tell you the whole lot now and the wire would still amaze you.
    I have had countless films & programs spoiled by people with that attitude. Not totally ruined, I enjoyed them -but I certainly would have enjoyed them even more if I had not been told stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Ok, I deleted the post. I figured that fact was common knowledge in pop culture. My bad. Apologies to those affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ok, I deleted the post. I figured that fact was common knowledge in pop culture. My bad. Apologies to those affected.

Yeah i read that in Walts "Jesse, i need you to believe me" voice so i'm not buying it :P

I have a question on season 3 when Jesse tries to poison those two dealers who killed Tomas. Walt refused to give it to him so what did he put in the hamburgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I know the series is over but I don't think Jesse would be in the clear, when the cops reached the Nazi's compound and lab, is there still not that video evidence that Hank filmed of Jesse confessing, remember in Granite State they (the Nazi's) were looking at it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I think what makes it so hard to swallow is the idea that Gus would steal Jessie's ricin and use it to poison Brock. Gus would have had absolutely nothing to gain from such a bizarre act, but that is what Walt wanted Jesse to believe. I don't know why Walt ever thought that Jesse would believe it, and I don't know why Jesse did believe it.

The reason Gus allegedly poisoned Brock in the first place was to turn Jesse against Walt. In that case he would have needed to use Jesse's ricin. That's what Walt wanted Jesse to believe and certainly it makes sense - in fact everyone watching believed it as well!

Did you believe it when it first occurred in the second last episode of season 4? If so, why wouldn't Jesse?
    Grimebox wrote: »
    This leaves out one important part imo. Jesse found the ricin in the roomba. Case closed. Huell never stole anything the first time around as far as Jesse is concerned. Huell stealing the weed triggered a memory of an event that Jesse didn't know about.

It's obvious Jesse is suspicious of that. In fact, Jesse's reaction to the ricin being found in the roomba is one of the keys to his realisation later on. He is extremely suspicious at that point, it doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Why was Walt stuck in a high-school? ABQ has lots of unis that'd be overjoyed to have someone with Walt's qualifications on staff; pay damn bit better too.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Why was Walt stuck in a high-school? ABQ has lots of unis that'd be overjoyed to have someone with Walt's qualifications on staff; pay damn bit better too.

Why would someone in chemo and radiation have the energy to turn into an underground criminal?

Chalk it up to the many suspensions of disbelief required to enjoy the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

I have a question on season 3 when Jesse tries to poison those two dealers who killed Tomas. Walt refused to give it to him so what did he put in the hamburgers?

Hey, I had this question bugging me too when I watched the episode earlier in the week.

One theory we had was that Jesse remembered how to make the ricin himself from the time in season 1 when Walt explained how to do it. Alternatively, on imdb's episode synopsis it says that he bought it online so who knows?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I want to know why Jesse isn't dead yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Walt doesn't work well with people; after Grey Matter there was probably other labs and projects he tried to work on but it didn't work out.
    Anniebell wrote: »
    Hey, I had this question bugging me too when I watched the episode earlier in the week.

One theory we had was that Jesse remembered how to make the ricin himself from the time in season 1 when Walt explained how to do it. Alternatively, on imdb's episode synopsis it says that he bought it online so who knows?!

Maybe he bought the beans online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I always kind of figured it was because of Walt Jr. When we see the flashback of Walt and Skyler buying their house, she's pregnant and Walt was still in Grey Matter. I think with Walt Jr. being born with his disability, Walt cashed out of Grey Matter (when it was worth f*ck all) and took up the job in the school because it'd be better hours, a reasonable income and less stressful (Grey Matter would have been more risky and mightn't have made enough money). He could be home more to help with Walt Jr. Being a high-school chemistry teacher was something he could easily do and not have to bring any work home with him.

After a while, he just fell into a rut and stayed there, hence leading to his feelings of boredom and contempt for people who don't realise how intelligent he is.

I certainly don't think a suspension of belief is required as clairefontaine suggests, it's just not something which is really too important. The first episode is Walt's 50th birthday. There's a lot about him we don't know (his relationship with his mother for example), but there's not a lot which really needs to be explained, or that explaining such minor details in the show would have resulted in too much needless exposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I want to know why Jesse isn't dead yet?

The Nazi's kept him alive to cook meth for them. Walt saw what they were doing to him and saved him. Jesse left. The show ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I dont understand why Lydia didnt seek medical help the moment she was told about the ricin- she was sick but still fairly lucid as can be seen in the phone conversation. If she had rang for an ambulance there and then, could her stomach have been pumped out and maybe the effects reversed. In short, is there any way she could survive?
    We don't know whether Lydia rang for assistance or not. Either way she's ruined. If she doesn't, she dies for sure. If she does and specifly says it is ricin poisoning, she is going to have a lot of questions to answer. She was already a suspect and with everything going down with WW that night, no way would she be seeing the outside of a prison cell if she survived.
    I know the series is over but I don't think Jesse would be in the clear, when the cops reached the Nazi's compound and lab, is there still not that video evidence that Hank filmed of Jesse confessing, remember in Granite State they (the Nazi's) were looking at it.
    After they had finished laughing at Jessie for being a crybaby, they would've destroyed that DVD. Even if there wasn't a load of incriminating evidence on it about them, they hate rats more than anything and no way would they take the chance of having something about the place which might help out the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How did Hank, Jessie and Gomez know where to follow Walt to?

Was his phone tapped? If so, when and how did they do it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

How did Hank, Jessie and Gomez know where to follow Walt to?

Was his phone tapped? If so, when and how did they do it? :confused:

It was a little exaggerated, but you can track a phone using the signal. Hence why Jessie kept him on the line the whole time. In reality it wouldnt be as accurate and probably not as quick either, but it is doable. Creative licence I think is the best description for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sorry if asked already.. I've just finished them all last week.

But who cooked for Gus before Walt ? .. If Gus was as big a distributor as he was wouldn't he have had someone cooking already ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

NeVeR wrote: »
    Sorry if asked already.. I've just finished them all last week.

But who cooked for Gus before Walt ? .. If Gus was as big a distributor as he was wouldn't he have had someone cooking already ?

Gus was just a distributor for the Cartel and then decided he wanted to move into manufacturing as well. He hired Gale to set up the super lab and gave him some of Walts product to test. After Gale said it was of the highest quality, Gus approached Walt and asked him to head up the operation with Gale learning from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

dam, I had it wrong in my head the whole time then :O I thought gus was making meth himself and gale and the lab was just a huge step up and investment. so after the cartel killed gus's friend , he signed up with them to sell their drugs they sold and then later on they joined the meth business?

that's a scene i would have loved to see :O the cartel telling gus they will be selling meth, the product he originally went to them with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

penzo wrote: »
    dam, I had it wrong in my head the whole time then :O I thought gus was making meth himself and gale and the lab was just a huge step up and investment. so after the cartel killed gus's friend , he signed up with them to sell their drugs they sold and then later on they joined the meth business?

that's a scene i would have loved to see :O the cartel telling gus they will be selling meth, the product he originally went to them with!

You were not 100% wrong. Max and Gus set up Los Pollos Hermanos in Mexico. They cooked Meth (Max being the chemist) and sold it small scale. They wanted to expand so approached Don Eladio by giving his dealers a taste of their product.

Don Eladio found this disrespectful, shoots Max but lets Gus live due to his history (which we never find out) in Chile. After a period (of unknown time) Gus emigrates to the US. Sets up more Los Pollos Hermanos, establishes a chemistry scholarship. Gale received this scholarship. Gus then set up connections in Madrigal and the Cartel approached him about expanding into the Meth business.

He works with them for a while and when Gale is ready, looks to make his own Meth. That is where Walt comes in.

So he did cook it but not to the extent you understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

I think I may have missed an episode, something doesn't add up for me. When did Jack and his gang enter the show? Theyre in the last season obviously but I don't remember seeing their first meeting with Walt. Especially in the diner Todd is telling the other two about an incident with Walt and Jesse involving a train??

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

buffalo909 wrote: »
    I think I may have missed an episode, something doesn't add up for me. When did Jack and his gang enter the show? Theyre in the last season obviously but I don't remember seeing their first meeting with Walt. Especially in the diner Todd is telling the other two about an incident with Walt and Jesse involving a train??

Sounds like you missed more than one episode, and if you missed the train robbery (early season 5), then you need to go back and watch that one!

Todd was introduced as part of the pest control crew when Walt started cooking in their tents. Jack and the rest of the nazis came a couple of episodes later, when Walt needed to take Mikes guys out in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

Ah Christ! Got the box set from a friend and he only had one DVD for s5 which started halfway through the season! I thought that was the entire season! Bollocks to it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Oops. The firsh half of season 5 have some of the best episodes of the whole series.
    Lol
    buffalo909 wrote: »
    Ah Christ! Got the box set from a friend and he only had one DVD for s5 which started halfway through the season! I thought that was the entire season! Bollocks to it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What was the story with Los Pollos Hermanos being owned by that German company, Madrigal Elekromoteren GmbH? I never truly got that.

We know that Gustavo "Gus" Fring and Max Arciniega founded Los Pollos Hermanos in the 1980's, using the restaurant as a front for their methamphetamine distribution. Check.

Max was murdered in front of Gus by Hector "Tio" Salamanca at Don Eladio's house for daring to encroach on their territory. Check.

Gus moves to the USA and starts his operations at the behest of the Cartel, but semi-independently of them. He uses LPH as the front for this, along with the laundry and so on. Check.

Flash forward, and Gus is the largest meth distributer in the South-West, using LPH to do it and gathers Gale, Walter, Jesse, etc. into his organisation to cook and so on. Check.

Gus gets killed, the company folds, and out of the debris comes this HUGE German multinational company that appears to actually own Los Pollos Hermanos... eh, what?

Where did that come from? How did a relatively small fried chicken franchise (with only 14 locations, according to Cynthia, the Albequerque LPH manager) become an interest in a huge (Madrigal appears to be absolutely enormous with turnover in the billions) German-based, multinational corporation?

Did Gus approach them? Did they approach Gus? How did nobody at the company, I mean absolutely NOBODY, suss or suspect what was going on? It just seemed more than a little odd to me. Maybe it was explained, and I just can't remember, but I don't think it was. The point: how a small fried chicken franchise (doubling as the front for a large scale meth empire) became part of a German multinational. Never made sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

People at Madrigal were aware of the situation. One of the board members knew about it, he killed himself in a bathroom when the police came to Madrigal to investigate. And Lydia worked for them and was setting up the Czech deal for Gus.

I don't think it was directly explained how they came to be connected but I think it was implied that Mike and Lydia knew each other and presumably got the two together. Seemed to be a move by Gus to increase his distribution ring and get further independence from the Cartel. The German seemed to be in it just for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I suppose the 'company profits' from LPH could be funnelled abroad through Madrigal also.

Advertisement