Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband via Dongle - any of these any good around Carn/Culdaff area?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of ditching my VF home broadband package, and was wondering if any of the midband services you get by plugging a dongle into your laptop have got any better over the years?

Any users of these types of things around Carndonagh? If so, are you happy with it? Last time I tried one a couple of years back, at peak times I was getting little or no speed, even slower than dial-up from 10yrs ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am thinking of ditching my VF home broadband package, and was wondering if any of the midband services you get by plugging a dongle into your laptop have got any better over the years?

Any users of these types of things around Carndonagh? If so, are you happy with it? Last time I tried one a couple of years back, at peak times I was getting little or no speed, even slower than dial-up from 10yrs ago.

Well i had a dongle for about 4 years and at best could get 1mbs. Changed about 4 months ago to a mifi wireless router like this one and now can get up to 10mbs which is better than what my mum got on her vf at home broadband, usually around 4mbs(she's with smart now).

You can go prepay and the best deal is to top up 35euro for 20gb usage for a month. Billpay is 35euro for 60gb monthly. Three has the best deals on usage allowances. I live in Letterkenny and near to a tower so speed is stable, all depends how close you are to a transmitter i think.

Edit: Get rid of vf. From my experience had nothing but bother with it resetting 2-3 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the feedback.

I know that where I live is a difficult area to get a signal and thats why I was wondering if there are any locals using a dongle at present.

To be fair to VF I have had a steady 2.5meg download for 2 yrs now with no issues at all, its just that I find their packages expensive.

Edit: question for you. I was wondering about getting internet usage on a mobile phone account, and getting some way of using it via my laptop and tablet. Does that little device allow you to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Edit: question for you. I was wondering about getting internet usage on a mobile phone account, and getting some way of using it via my laptop and tablet. Does that little device allow you to do this?

Not sure I follow. That mifi router works just like your vf router allowing you to wirelessly connect up to five devices without the need for a fixed telephone line. It is mobile and can be used anywhere although the batterey only lasts 2-3 hours but charges via USB like in car etc.

Or are you thinking about using a smartphone as a broadband "dock"?. This is possible but I've never owned a smartphone so not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks for the feedback.

I know that where I live is a difficult area to get a signal and thats why I was wondering if there are any locals using a dongle at present.

To be fair to VF I have had a steady 2.5meg download for 2 yrs now with no issues at all, its just that I find their packages expensive.

Depends on what part of the area you live in to be honest on the buncrana / clonmany side of Carn the coverage is pretty much non existent. On the Culdaff side its good. But Culdaff town itself is hit or miss really.

As for connecting through a mobile, tethering, yes you can do it but it is in every mobile providers small print that you're breaking your contract if you do so. I have seen people had their service internet disconnected on mobiles as a result of this and there is nout they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I think 3 allow tethering again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like that Mifi router may be what I'm after then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

Hi all. I was wondering if the coverage for dongle signals in the Clonmany / Ballyliffin area has improved since the last post above (two years ago). The last time I tried a dongle in the area was the summer of 2013. Got a fine signal in Buncrana, with a vodafone device, but by the time I got as far as Ballyliffin, where I was staying, the signal had disappeared. I will be visiting the Ballyliffin / Clonmany area again soon and need to be connected due to work.

Otherwise, if there has been no improvement, can anyone recommend a good but cheap provider of home broadband packages in the Ballyliffin area?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement