Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

EI651 from Frankfurt diverting to Shannon and looks like the Etihad 777 is doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

FR451 LPL-DUB diverting to SNN?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Ryanair from Bristol has turned back! LOL stuck in Bristol for the Christmas. Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

5 now diverted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On a reality note, you would really feel for the pax.

The crew know that safety is everything, but imagine landing back where you started from, or landing in Shannon!

Still, better to arrive alive.

It's just so much worse on Christmas Eve when all you want to do is be at home ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

On a reality note, you would really feel for the pax.

The crew know that safety is everything, but imagine landing back where you started from, or landing in Shannon!

Still, better to arrive alive.

It's just so much worse on Christmas Eve when all you want to do is be at home ASAP.

Yes at least Shannon is in the same country. I'd be interested to know why that Ryanair went back to Bristol.

Is it just me....I cannot get the 3d on the iPad, but can get it on the phone.

Anyone else the same?

I have google earth on both, which seems to be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Aircraft holding now advising ATC of a weather cell 60 miles long approaching the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Last 2 approaches to DUB rwy28 have gone around (FR409A & EIN43R).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

1 ryanair and 1 Aer lIngus go around in last 2 mins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Etihad coming back from Shannon. Over the midlands now.

Is RYR20 special at all?

http://www.flightradar24.com/RYR20

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

fr336 wrote: »
    Is RYR20 special at all?

http://www.flightradar24.com/RYR20

is it the FR flight that diverted earlier? all the others seem to appearing back up from SNN now.

Razor44 wrote: »
    is it the FR flight that diverted earlier? all the others seem to appearing back up from SNN now.

Guess so; another one out of SNN now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of interest would all the flights running back to Dublin from Shannon be empty or are the passengers still on board?

P_1 wrote: »
    Out of interest would all the flights running back to Dublin from Shannon be empty or are the passengers still on board?

Almost certainly no passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

any reason why the Airline wouldnt just fly the pax back to eidw?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Razor44 wrote: »
    any reason why the Airline wouldnt just fly the pax back to eidw?

I'd say it's a cost thing.

5 or 6 buses travelling 250km can't be that expensive compared to a 737 or an A320 loaded with pax, luggage and fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just wondering I see Little Skellig (it would be one of the two skellig rocks off south west Kerry for anyone not familiar) labeled on flightradar24. Is this coincidental or is it used as some sort of reference or something for aircraft in real time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There's more factors than cost at play here.

Remember that getting buses and staff to run the buses on Christmas Eve is not going to be easy, considering the driver is going to be coming from Shannon, and then Dublin, and then has to get home himself, you're going to get few takers to drive a bus at such times, and that is even before you consider the weather.

The problem is that on Christmas Eve the later it gets, the harder it's going to be to source staff who are willing to drive the buses. If they wait too long and the weather doesn't improve then there could be a situation where passengers are stranded in Shannon since the planes can't fly there, and no buses are available and you've backed yourself into a corner. Arranging buses is the less risky option.

Ryanair have done well today, if you look at the way other airlines have handled the situation, they've been very flexible, both by delaying flights due to rail delays, and operating a number of Gatwick flights to/from Stansted, rather than reaching for the cancel button. The cheapest option would have just been to cancel the flights rather than bus people between Gatwick and Stansted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,580 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SeaFields wrote: »
    Just wondering I see Little Skellig (it would be one of the two skellig rocks off south west Kerry for anyone not familiar) labeled on flightradar24. Is this coincidental or is it used as some sort of reference or something for aircraft in real time?

Coincidence, they use Google mapping data and it appears at the same view level there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

VP-CSI just landing at eidw now, direct from Cape Town. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

microsim wrote: »
    Ryanair from Bristol has turned back! LOL stuck in Bristol for the Christmas. Excellent

Took off again and landed in dublin at 3:45

Took off again and landed in dublin at 3:45

Ah I'm really glad to hear they got home.

Ah so what sounded bad at first was actually the best result in the end i.e. not having to go to Shannon - a deliberate move I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Danbo! wrote: »
    VP-CSI just landing at eidw now, direct from Cape Town. Anyone any ideas?

From Lagos (Nigeria), I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Ah I'm really glad to hear they got home.

How do we know this? We see an aircraft returns to Bristol and we see the same aircraft take off again and return to Dublin.

I have not checked the airport to see if there were other scheduled flights, but could the aircraft not have dismounted its rebounded passengers and reloaded with scheduled passengers and delivered them to Dublin whilst the previous flight's compliment of passengers are [still] stranded in Bristol. ?

Bearing in mind that diverted passengers may have been dismounted in Shannon and an empty aircraft flew back to Dublin and landed and continued its scheduled flights. ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://www.flightradar24.com/BCS2883

QY2883 / BCS2883 seems to be returning to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

No sign of SANTA1 this year. The kids are nervous now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement