Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It's only at 11000 feet though. Is that a bit low to be performing stall tests?

Nope, they won't be actually stalling the aircraft - All there going to do is let the speed drop and then on the Airbus ''ALPHA FLOOR'' kicks in and recovers the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Nope, they won't be actually stalling the aircraft - All there going to do is let the speed drop and then on the Airbus ''ALPHA FLOOR'' kicks in and recovers the aircraft.

But isn't that the point...what if it takes its time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Ah, ok. Gotcha. Thanks :D

fr336 wrote: »
    But isn't that the point...what if it takes its time? :D

They're at safe height for the test they actually climbed to 12,000ft before you could see the speed dropping away on FR24, it's just one of those tests for airworthiness, trust me Alpha Floor is never late - That's why its there :)

They're at safe height for the test they actually climbed to 12,000ft before you could see the speed dropping away on FR24, it's just one of those tests for airworthiness, trust me Alpha Floor is never late - That's why its there :)

But why test it then? What happens if it fails? :eek: Glad they've gone over there to do their tests :cool:

• Advertisement

Lufthansa making their way to SNN now

http://www.flightradar24.com/DLH9921/3edf67b

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Well that worked out well. I almost never get timing right like that. Singapore 747 just started taxiing as we arrived at the viewing area. A few pics in the pics thread below. Saw a few others as well, will try to upload them to imgur and add them to that thread later.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91474889&postcount=3633

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Lufthansa making their way to SNN now

http://www.flightradar24.com/DLH9921/3edf67b

Looks like it's going fly directly above my house :P Might go outside and snap a few pics if it's under the clouds

Well that worked out well. I almost never get timing right like that. Singapore 747 just started taxiing as we arrived at the viewing area. A few pics in the pics thread below. Saw a few others as well, will try to upload them to imgur and add them to that thread later.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91474889&postcount=3633

Awesome pics thanks a lot! Shannon has a viewing area?

But why test it then? What happens if it fails? :eek: Glad they've gone over there to do their tests :cool:

I've only ever heard of one instance where it failed that resulted in a crash off Perpignan, during an airworthiness test - it was due to water getting into the AoA (Angle of Attack) sensors during improper maintenance coupled with the fact the crew carried out the test to low, leaving it to late to rectify the situation when A.Floor didn't kick in because the aircraft actually thought it remained on the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XL_Airways_Germany_Flight_888T

There's a good video here of a stall test also at 12,000ft in a simulator, idle the thrust disconnecting A/THR and watch as the aircraft enters the ''red band'' slow/stall speed zone and A.Floor takes control to recover.

Excuse the Russian. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Awesome pics thanks a lot! Shannon has a viewing area?

More like thanks to this thread I knew it was there. There's a viewing area around the back, near the entrance to Shannon Aerospace, right at the threshold of Runway 24, that's how you get the great pics of them turning after taxi.

It looks like DLH9921 had it's landing gear out near Patrickswell in Limerick . Is it normal to have it out that early or is that early ?

nanook5 wrote: »
    It looks like DLH9921 had it's landing gear out near Patrickswell in Limerick . Is it normal to have it out that early or is that early ?

All part of the flight programme test.

All part of the flight programme test.

I was thinking that might be it too .

Jack are you flying the thing or something :p

Is it doing a go-around?

Is it doing a go-around?

I think I heard that mentioned

Looks like it's going fly directly above my house :P Might go outside and snap a few pics if it's under the clouds
    Did you get a few snaps nanook? I managed to get a couple of really blurry ones as it flew overhead.

Did you get a few snaps nanook? I managed to get a couple of really blurry ones as it flew overhead.

Yea I got a few they weren't great though . It was 12km from my location and I hadn't my camera set up properly so with a 300mm lens they pretty were blurry . One or two are OK . I can put them up if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yea I got a few they weren't great though . It was 12km from my location and I hadn't my camera set up properly so with a 300mm lens they pretty were blurry . One or two are OK . I can put them up if you like :)

You can automatically assume that we always 'like', lash them up

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    You can automatically assume that we always 'like', lash them up

Sure thing , 2 minutes

Here's mine:

LH9921 about to land? They've certainly kept Shannon Approach busy the last few hours!

Looks like I didn't get the focus right or else there was a lot of haze .Pretty sure it was the focus though .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Looks like I didn't get the focus right or else there was a lot of haze .Pretty sure it was the focus though .

Nice! Thanks

Green laser pointed at an Aer Arrann over the Limerick area on approach to SNN

http://www.flightradar24.com/REA39SN/3ee3d7f

Green laser pointed at an Aer Arrann over the Limerick area on approach to SNN

http://www.flightradar24.com/REA39SN/3ee3d7f

Why do people bother ? :mad:

Why do people bother ? :mad:

Quite the coincidence you turning up tonight eh ;) :pac:

Just stupid, mindless people clearly. One of the Aer Arann guys sounded a bit shook up but I could have that wrong.

Ryanair dreamliner about to come over you Shannon lads now

• Advertisement

Quite the coincidence you turning up tonight eh ;) :pac:

Just stupid, mindless people clearly. One of the Aer Arann guys sounded a bit shook up but I could have that wrong.

:D:p

Airliners should equip crew with these http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/laser_eye_safety.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement