Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Mech1 wrote: »
    I would be interested in locking out the "usual local freq" on my feed for an hour, and just generally scanning the rest of the airband freq in order to see how far away we can copy an aircrafts transmissions. By using the call sign heard and flight radar 24 we should be able to get a max distance.

anyone willing to listen in and help find the aircraft?

From Dublin it is easy to pick up aircraft transmissions well into the UK and, in the days when position reports were made by radio, I have heard aircraft over such points as Glasgow, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Berry Head (Devon). There is of course a direct correlation between an aircraft's height and how far away transmissions from it will be received.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ok Crosstownk if your gonna go for it then so will I, as you know the ladder is here, I will help set you up.
    Pat.

Cheers, Pat.

We need 4 so I'll put my name forward if you think you can mount the antenna.

My gable end is difficult to get to thanks to an extension with a 12.5 degree roof. See image.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

crosstownk wrote: »
    Cheers, Pat.

We need 4 so I'll put my name forward if you think you can mount the antenna.

My gable end is difficult to get to thanks to an extension with a 12.5 degree roof. See image.

Dont worry we'll get her up there somewhere suitable, go for it!

Dont worry we'll get her up there somewhere suitable, go for it!

Great. I've ladders here that I'm minding for a friend so you won't need to transport yours.

Do I request the gear from FR24 as per ADS-B?

Great. I've ladders here that I'm minding for a friend so you won't need to transport yours.

Do I request the gear from FR24 as per ADS-B?

yes, give a good reason / discription in your popup box that you gotta fill out, tell them that your hoping to cover MLAT and you wanna be one of the 4 needed around Dublin.

• Advertisement

Yep - I did that. We'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deskjob

I have also applied for the 'free-be' FR24 box, need to get up in the attic at the weekend to take a few photos of the view, yes they want the see if there are obstructions, high ground, trees etc that would affect the reception. I am on fairly ground so should be OK he north of the DUB.
    The decoder itself is a version of the 'Beast' this is good as its the best out there, out performs all others.

deskjob wrote: »
    I have also applied for the 'free-be' FR24 box, need to get up in the attic at the weekend to take a few photos of the view, yes they want the see if there are obstructions, high ground, trees etc that would affect the reception. I am on fairly ground so should be OK he north of the DUB.
    The decoder itself is a version of the 'Beast' this is good as its the best out there, out performs all others.

How long did it take for FR24 to get back to you? Did you ask for ADS-B or MLAT (or both)?

Where are you located?

If the 4 providers are very close together will it be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

http://www.flightradar24.com/SPMXH

Cool looking plane, Polish Air Rescue heading north from Krakow

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deskjob

How long did it take for FR24 to get back to you? Did you ask for ADS-B or MLAT (or both)?

Where are you located?

If the 4 providers are very close together will it be a problem?

They came back within 48 hours, no need to ask for ADSB/MLAT as this will happen automatically once the system is up and running, don't forget the data for MLAT can be coming from multiple locations e.g Dublin, Belfast, IOM etc to get a fix on traffic around DUB, I'm not too far north of EIDW.

• Advertisement

deskjob wrote: »
    They came back within 48 hours, no need to ask for ADSB/MLAT as this will happen automatically once the system is up and running, don't forget the data for MLAT can be coming from multiple locations e.g Dublin, Belfast, IOM etc to get a fix on traffic around DUB, I'm not too far north of EIDW.

I've had no contact from FR24 since my initial request last Wednesday (2/10/2013).

no contact here either

I like the paint job on this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Are we going to see more of this, especially with the Trans Shamrocks now with it installed :)

275135.jpg

Airbus Guppy out north of Norwich at the moment - 451 knots, didn't think that beast would reach such speed...

Edit - what's the easiest way to insert screen shots like above?

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Airbus Guppy out north of Norwich at the moment - 451 knots, didn't think that beast would reach such speed...

Whats his call sign, reg?

Sorry, can't find him.....

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    what's the easiest way to insert screen shots like above?

Have a look at this microsoft link on how to do a print screen. It has a video as well.

Once you have the image/screen shot you want to upload, when you reply in the thread, scroll down to 'manage attachments', click it, choose file (top left),
    browse to the location, select the file, click Open, (returns to the small box), then click Upload.

when the file uploads via the 'manage attachments' box, underneath 'choose file' you should see 'Current attachments', and your 'file name'.

Click on your 'file name' which should open up in a new tab.
    Copy the URL (full address name) at the top https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/335517/123123.jpg

Now go back to your Boards reply box and the menu across the top of the reply has a button labelled 'Insert Image', click this and a small box opens up, 'Please enter the URL of your image', paste in your copied link here and click OK, it should place your image code directly into the thread reply box with something like:

IMGhttps://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/543789/275149.jpg

Thats it ! just then submit your reply.

PS: You can always link your images from an external images website, but I don't use that method.

Thannks DieselPowered, sorry I couldn't be of more help in finding the Baluga!:o. Will trawl back through the replay later to see what he was up to - another one left Toulouse this morning and landed in Manchester, so they're obviously shipping large parts around.

Some interesting goings on north of Bremen in Germany - civilian Skyhawk and Lear jet look like they're practicing. Presume for an air show?

• Advertisement

interesting - Military?

275399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

interesting - Military?

Probably not. More than likely a private jet owner who is savvy enough to know they can have their details removed from sites like flightradar.

I worked for a management company before who requested the details removed for a client.

One from FlightFest - just because you don't see an A380 approaching Dublin at this altitude. Yep, the TLS > LHR is obviously incorrect.

0xq1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

^^^

What version of FR24 is that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Looks like the iPad version.

keith16 wrote: »
    ^^^

What version of FR24 is that?

Yes, it's FR24 Pro for iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Look at how far west this Finnair from Helsinki to Tenerife has routed to pick up the favourable winds over the Atlantic and avoid the headwinds over Europe.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/flugkort/PGDE14_EGRR_1800.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Finnair do that quite regularly - 757s, A330s and A340s have all been seen over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Probably not. More than likely a private jet owner who is savvy enough to know they can have their details removed from sites like flightradar.

I worked for a management company before who requested the details removed for a client.

Too many blocked flights and flip all military, still tis a handy yoke on the iPhone and has worked well over the last few weeks.

I hope PlanePlotter doesn't start restricting their MLATs....or maybe they are already :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

FWVT wrote: »
    Look at how far west this Finnair from Helsinki to Tenerife has routed to pick up the favourable winds over the Atlantic and avoid the headwinds over Europe.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/flugkort/PGDE14_EGRR_1800.PNG

Less congestion, less chance of slot restrictions and delays, cheaper ATC charges are also a consideration for planners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement