Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Merkin wrote: »
    The amount of loops it has done is dizzying, I'd hate to be on board. It's been at a constant 12,000 feet, why do they loop at such a low altitude?

Interesting question. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to answer. In the meantime, I would speculate that if you didn't have fuel-dump capabilities, you would fly at the most inefficient speed and altitude possible, so that you're reducing your fuel load as fast as possible.

I'm probably well wide of the mark though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its been looping now for around 3hrs 30mins. That must be so painful! If a plane can loop for that long, surely it could make it to the u.s?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its been looping now for around 3hrs 30mins. That must be so painful! If a plane can loop for that long, surely it could make it to the u.s?

What?! There's an issue...however minor...let's fly over sea for 3+ hrs we should make it.

4 hours......

Seems to have broken off the hold, hopefully heading back to LHR now. No emergency squawk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Now heading for LHR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Is fuel dumping prohibited or is the 767 not able to do it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92735076&postcount=7757
    Legally an aircraft must be able to meet approach/climb gradients within 15 minutes of takeoff, if they cant achieve that, they have the option of installing a fuel dump system. So in the case of the 757/767, a lot of them weren't fitted with dumping systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Post maintenance out of Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

Now heading for LHR.

On the ground now. What a flight for the passengers and crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

b318isp wrote: »
    On the ground now. What a flight for the passengers and crew.

imagine falling asleep at take off and waking up thinking you'd landed in New York!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would speculate that if you didn't have fuel-dump capabilities, you would fly at the most inefficient speed and altitude possible, so that you're reducing your fuel load as fast as possible.
    Tried that once.... amazing how efficient the aircraft was at 15,000 feet with gear down and spoilers.

Without knowing what exactly happened to this aircraft, I will try to explain the logic. Say the aircraft has taken off and before he enters the oceanic area, he is expected to have specific equipment working in order to maintain his ETOPS status, lets say a generator, the aircraft is perfectly serviceable but is now unable to cross the ocean. If they decide to return and do an overweight landing, then they have to do an overweight landing maintenance inspection. Its much easier to stay flying for 3.5 hours and land at the proper weight.

We had two 747's in the same week that had similar issues, the 1st had taken off with full fuel, he was called to return and pick up a spare part for a corporate aircraft that was stranded. Crew elected to dump 100 tonnes of fuel and land. The 2nd one had a cockpit window heater fail after takeoff, the captain decided to land at another base rather than fly to the icing conditions at the destination, he elected to land overweight in order to avoid dumping a lot of fuel.

Have a guess which crew ended up back in ground school as a punishment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I saw this posted on FR24 facebook page :pac:

RtY1ZBH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Cathay Pacific B747-8 in SNN this morning due to get airborne again around 0900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

BZ wrote: »
    Cathay Pacific B747-8 in SNN this morning due to get airborne again around 0900.

Off again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

A lot of holding going on at Heathrow already so an emergency won't help things.

Wow soon after takeoff wasn't it...maybe a medical though.

TSO8767, a Transaero b767-300 currently on descent into Shannon. over Mullingar now. reg EI-DBU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Guys this will make absolutely no sense whatsoever but I feel compelled to post anyway.

I split a drop of water on my keyboard and so I cleaned it with a cloth, mashing random keys in the process. I kid you not, I managed to type in "boeing 763 safety record" into google. Well actually it was more like "boeing 763 safety record;zxcvioasdf" but I'm freaked out to say the least.

I can't really explain it by autosuggest either because the 763 isn't a real plane and it's not a common search phrase. Maybe it's in reference to to the 767-300?

What are the odds of hitting those exact keys in that exact order.. I don't know what to think.

Ah that'll be the aviation illuminati, The One Who Knows. No need to worry they have time off this time of year and are very bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"boeing 763 safety record" comes up as the second suggested search by the time you get to the S for me. If you've done a lot of searching for aviaton topics and were hitting down arrows or possibly the space bar, b then 7 then s could get that.

L1011 wrote: »
    "boeing 763 safety record" comes up as the second suggested search by the time you get to the S for me. If you've done a lot of searching for aviaton topics and were hitting down arrows or possibly the space bar, b then 7 then s could get that.

That's the thing, I've zero interest in aviation and have never searched for anything like that before. It's possible that I hit a few arrow keys alright. I'll clear my history and then experiment again, that was freaky!

SAS9136 departed Dublin a short time ago following a repaint. Airbus A340-313. reg OY-KBA

Yep at the very least I hit "boe" then tab then 763 randomly then space then s followed by the down arrow 3 times and finally enter.

I'm not saying it means anything of course, but what are the odds! I don't think you could repeat that if you tried!

That's the thing, I've zero interest in aviation and have never searched for anything like that before. It's possible that I hit a few arrow keys alright. I'll clear my history and then experiment again, that was freaky!
    If you see a plane crash involving a 767 within the next few months you will be freaked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Makes it a bit odder then

763 is extremely common shorthand for the 767-300 so it does at least exist.

Boeing 763 from shannon (to savannah).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

National airlines 757 flew over my house last night. Where was it flying to go??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

owenc wrote: »
    National airlines 757 flew over my house last night. Where was it flying to go??

Are we supposed to guess where your house is also?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

owenc wrote: »

To make an educated guess other posters need approx time and approx location to use the playback feature of FR24.......or you could try it yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement