Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roblestone

FWVT wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about that, Roblestone is grossly exaggerating the effects. Totally normal operations as they will just use runway 16, meaning the wind will only be around 40 degrees off the nose.

But even off runway 28 it's still no big deal.

Its not the crosswing that will be the issue... Its the windshear that comes with gusts of 40kts. Stick to the flight sim ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

I'm Flying on Aer Lingus Regional EI3352 in the morning at 10am and the TAF as from Boards member Roblestone is "BECMG 2610/2612 20018G29KT="

Thats some crosswind. Should be interesting on the ATR :)

You'll be grand. It's not even above the ATR's crosswind limit. The time in the TAF is GMT (UTC) which means you'll be well on your way when that becmg comes into effect.

And that's not from flight sim. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I'm actually a pilot and have no problem landing or taking off in 29 kt gusts, Roblestone. Neither do Aer Arann pilots, or any others for that matter.

I'm actually a pilot and have no problem landing or taking off in 29 kt gusts, Roblestone. Neither do Aer Arann pilots, or any others for that matter.

Private pilot, yes? And you have landed in 29kt gusts? Bad judgement going up as a private pilot knowing that winds are expected to be greater than the demonstrated for that aircraft....provided you are not a private pilot flying your own 747.

Forecast wind is 40kt gusts, and I never said they wouldn't be able to land, I said it will be interesting, and if you are listening on frequency now you will see I was right.

Rgds roblestone

Roblestone wrote: »
    Stick to the flight sim ;)

I think it was the above quote which raised eyebrows.

• Advertisement

Bad judgement? Max demonstrated wind? Do you really know what you're talking about? It's a crosswind component that you're talking about. I wouldn't land in a 29-knot crosswind but at 40 degrees off the nose then the resulting maximum 15 knot crosswind component is fine.

And you're exact word was "sh1tty" when you posted the TAF, and went on to add...
    Gusts of 40kts normal? Really? Because all the flight planning officers in work, which i have literally left, are saying different!

The night back in March/April had wind from 230 at 23kts gusting 45kts... Can you remember what happened that night? Its the windshear factor that is going to be the issue here not so much the crosswind.

Bad judgement? Max demonstrated wind? Do you really know what you're talking about? It's a crosswind component that you're talking about. I wouldn't land in a 29-knot crosswind but at 40 degrees off the nose then the resulting maximum 15 knot crosswind component is fine.

And you're exact word was "sh1tty" when you posted the TAF, and went on to add...

29kts at 40 degrees off the nose = 2/3 of wind, which would mean 20kts xwind component, not 15 .... Are u sure "you really know what you're talking about". What school or club do you rent a plane that allows a PPL land with 20kt crosswind?

I also don't think you understand my point about it being "gusts"! If the wind was straight down the runway at 20kts gusting 50kts there is absolutely no crosswind but there is the capability of loosing/gaining 30kts on your approach speed ie. windshear! It was always going to be the windshear that was going to be the problem, not the crosswind!

And it was sh1tty, no? Good couple of go arounds with pilots asking for different runways for their second attempts and others enquiring about diversion fields.... Like you said just a "normal" day.

The go-arounds occured as winds shifted to warrant a runway change. This caused a bit of a mess with traffic management behind, but only due to wind direction, not windshear. I heard one Aer Lingus reporting windshear on 16 just before they changed back to 28 but even then the plane following reported ok. I heard no other pilots reporting windshear and none was reported in any of the metars. Windshear is always reported if it's a problem. And 20 gust 50 is a bit of an exaggeration...very rare we'd see that. The usual gust ratio is about 1.6-1.8.

The max demonstrated xwind for the PA 28 I fly is 17 knots. So my calculation off the top of my head was slightly off and calculating it out accurately yields 18.6 kts. Of course I don't do calculations "off the top of my head" when I'm actually going flying.

As I said, today was not the event you made it out to be, or even close to April 17th, calling for pilots to "go earn those salaries". Shifting winds cause delays all the time, even in fair weather when sea breezes kick in. The way you were phrasing things early this morning you'd think it was like southern England will be tomorrow night. THAT will require attention alright!

Anyway, this has gone off topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

There were no issues this morning, the wind wasn't even above 10kts?
    False alarm at the time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Anyone know what's going on here?
    http://fr24.com/EXS51K

untitled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

More than likely a flight test, part of a mainteance check carried out in Bournemouth Hurn Airport,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How accurate are the weather conditions on this thing? Just clicked on ORK's profile and it's saying QNH 986, Wind 7 kt From west. I thought there was meant to be this hurricane Jude coming down to the south?

The metar you're looking at is an actual weather report issued by the qualified met observer. Have a look at the TAF. Its the long range forecast. It will give you the wind speeds you are looking for.

flazio wrote: »
    How accurate are the weather conditions on this thing? Just clicked on ORK's profile and it's saying QNH 986, Wind 7 kt From west. I thought there was meant to be this hurricane Jude coming down to the south?

No one ever said there was a hurricane arriving anywhere, not least southern Ireland. You've been reading the Daily Express again!

Storm in the English Channel and near Continent this morning, totally removed from Ireland.

Why is it that some Ryanair (and possibly others, I haven't noticed) flights don't show up while others do? It's nothing to do with coverage as this occurs in well covered areas.

Case in point, this moring's FR7132 to Alghero, and the return 7133, which is currently in the air, probably somewhere over France. Neither flight can be found, but many others in the area are there no problem. It seems that aircraft itself is not transmitting ADS-B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Why is it that some Ryanair (and possibly others, I haven't noticed) flights don't show up while others do? It's nothing to do with coverage as this occurs in well covered areas.

Case in point, this moring's FR7132 to Alghero, and the return 7133, which is currently in the air, probably somewhere over France. Neither flight can be found, but many others in the area are there no problem. It seems that aircraft itself is not transmitting ADS-B.

And some Ryanair flights show departing airport but not arrival destination & vice versa ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

:o...Wrong thread....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

UR-CAJ currently over the UK heading north, just northwest of leeds.

Found him,..

278367.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

as from Boards member Roblestone is "BECMG 2610/2612 20018G29KT="

What the hell does that info mean?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not very good at this screen grabbing but I spot 2 AF A380s flying over Belfast en route to Washington and New York

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Reoil wrote: »
    What the hell does that info mean?!

BECMG 2610/2612 means that the weather is going to gradually change on the 26th day of the month from between 1000hrs to 1200hrs to 20018G29KTS, which is wind from 200 degrees true at 18knots, with gusts of up to 29knots. It makes a lot more sense when taken in context of the whole report!

Looks like one of them is returning?

278933.jpg

Appears to be a medical emergency. An appendicitis? I am listening on London Upper East 127.43mhz.

Edit: Appears it had to reurn to CDG because they had to burn fuel. One of the pilots just said 'Dumping Complete' as they were over the Channel. I presume he meant burned.

For anyone interested. Frequencies 127.43mhz London Upper East, then 135.050mhz Worthing (Hurn East) then France 128.875mhz possibly Brest

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

there's a helo on short final for 28. looks like a gray puma?? whats the deal there? bit strange seeing it fly by the window. hes parking over at the light aircraft area.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭JamieIsGod

Razor44 wrote: »
    there's a helo on short final for 28. looks like a gray puma?? whats the deal there? bit strange seeing it fly by the window. hes parking over at the light aircraft area.

French Airforce Super Puma

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

french ship in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭JamieIsGod

Razor44 wrote: »
    french ship in town?

No idea to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Anyone know what's happening here?

BA A380 flew from Heathrow and landed at an unmarked airport (unmarked on FR anyway). It did this lap, landed, did another lap and landed. Then flew back to Heathrow.

sjxt.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

British Airways A380 G-XLEB Training Day.
    November 5, 2013
    British Airways A380 G-XLEB positioned London Heathrow – Paris Vatry as BA9160 this morning then operated a series of training flights from both Paris Vatry and Chateauroux as BA9162/BA9163/BA9164/BA9165/BA9166/BA9167/BA9168/BA9169 and BA9161. The aircraft then positioned Chateauroux – London Heathrow as BA9262.

British Airways A380 G-XLEB Training Day.
    November 6, 2013
    British Airways A380 G-XLEB positioned London Heathrow – Chateauroux as BA9160 this morning, then operated Chatearoux – Chatearoux training flights as BA9162 and BA9163. The aircraft then positioned Chateauroux – London Heathrow as BA9164 before returning to service as BA25 London Heathrow – Hong Kong.

BA025 departed LHR at 1923hrs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement