Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thing is they shut it off on approach

The airline that I know off with Internet/WiFi operate in the following way.
    Internet and Wifi is only available 10,000 feet and above.
    Mobile Text and Data available from 20,000 feet and above
    Live TV is available gate to gate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fr336 wrote: »
    fr24 technical issue. The arrival boards not being updated yet. Any number of issues.

It seems to have been delayed 30mins in terms of departure, it was showing most of the way before disappearing and not coming up in the search. The arrivals board was showing the delay. Funny awl technology!
    Aphex wrote: »
    Some older aircraft can only be viewed on the map when they are above a certain height and where there is MLAT coverage.

I'm guessing the flight was an Aer Aran flight and the aircraft was one of the older ATR's in the fleet.

Aer Lingus flight from Cork to Arrecife, EIN876.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

It's an A330, no, so getting to Sligo or Donegal would have been quite difficult. Limerick has a major tertiary referral centre, and even if that wasn't sufficient was Dublin nearer? Can't think off the top of my head what medical services are available in Manchester that aren't available in Dublin. Interesting decision alright.

I said Sligo or Donegal to get people thinking about why it wouldn't just go to the nearest hospital/airport (I have answered why in detail twice before).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Sure, but the poster you replied to asked the question why he wouldn't go to Shannon. It has a decent hospital beside it, so it's a very valid point.

Bringing Sligo or Donegal into it is a little irrelevant. He was suggesting the nearest airport (which has a large hospital close by).

Anyway, I'm sure they found what they were looking for in EGCC.

Sure, but the poster you replied to asked the question why he wouldn't go to Shannon. It has a decent hospital beside it, so it's a very valid point.

Bringing Sligo or Donegal into it is a little irrelevant. He was suggesting the nearest airport (which has a large hospital close by).

Anyway, I'm sure they found what they were looking for in EGCC.

It's not irrelevant. I guess I was being too obscure. But it has already got you thinking which was the very reason I said Sligo and Donegal.

The hospital near Shannon is in Limerick 15-20 min blue light run away.

Just because the nearest airport with a long runway is Shannon doesn't make it the best choice likewise for Dublin.

• Advertisement

urajoke wrote: »
    It's not irrelevant. I guess I was being too obscure. But it has already got you thinking which was the very reason I said Sligo and Donegal.

The hospital near Shannon is in Limerick 15-20 min blue light run away.

Just because the nearest airport with a long runway is Shannon doesn't make it the best choice likewise for Dublin.

Nope, bringing Sligo and Donegal into it is irrelevant. It doesn't add anything to the conversation and neither are worth thinking about and only serve to distract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thing is they shut it off on approach

Oh the Horror....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It's an A330, no, so getting to Sligo or Donegal would have been quite difficult. Limerick has a major tertiary referral centre, and even if that wasn't sufficient was Dublin nearer? Can't think off the top of my head what medical services are available in Manchester that aren't available in Dublin. Interesting decision alright.

Time sensitive medical would have resulted in diversion to SNN. I would guess that MAN was the preferred diversion point due to existing staff setup in MAN and that it wasn't a life-threatening situation

Airline Ops depts are (usually) always looking at the recovery options from any disruptions of this nature. If you have the luxury of choice then diver to the most convenient destination within your timeframe.

That makes a lot of sense - they might already have ground services in MAN.

Nope, bringing Sligo and Donegal into it is irrelevant. It doesn't add anything to the conversation and neither are worth thinking about and only serve to distract.

My point was if Sligo and Donegal are the two closest Hospitals but are dismissed because of the runway length and airport why would they bypass Shannon, Knock, Belfast, Prestwick and Dublin when they have long enough runways and excellent hospitals within a reasonable reach. It's because Lufthansa ops and the medical service they consulted by sat phone determined that Manchester was the best fit for this non time critical diversion it fit the needs of the passenger, the crew and the aircraft.

My point was to get people to think if it's easy to dismiss or not even include those two airfields for obvious reasons why did they bypass the next big five. It's not therefore A) about the aircrafts immediate needs and B) the sick passenger is not critical, then it's about what is best for the sick passenger plus what will get th aircraft back enroute as quick as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Donegal Airport is an unacceptably long drive from any hospital regardless, even if the runway length was sufficient for a 330.

My point is it's not just about what runway or hospital is nearest it's about an awful lot more than that. There is a huge amount of factors that will be considered by many people pilots, doctors, ops etc

urajoke wrote: »
    My point is it's not just about what runway or hospital is nearest it's about an awful lot more than that. There is a huge amount of factors that will be considered by many people pilots, doctors, ops etc

No, I don't think that was your point, or you would have made it ages ago. Nice revisionism though.

Btw Donegal doesn't have a hospital, the nearest us letterkenny, but the closest airport to that is Derry, and that has it's own hospital, so, yeah. Totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

1zmjbqc.jpg

Come on guys we're all friends here :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

To the lads who host FR24 radar equipment was there any major delay with it being delivered once it arrived in Ireland? Mine was tracked as arriving in Ireland on the 30th of Dec. then that changed to 4th of Jan. Still no sign of the package. I hoping to get it tomorrow but its still not showing in the An Post tracking website so have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

To the lads who host FR24 radar equipment was there any major delay with it being delivered once it arrived in Ireland? Mine was tracked as arriving in Ireland on the 30th of Dec. then that changed to 4th of Jan. Still no sign of the package. I hoping to get it tomorrow but its still not showing in the An Post tracking website so have my doubts.

I wouldn't worry quite yet- it took me 6 weeks to get mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I wouldn't worry quite yet- it took me 6 weeks to get mine!

How do you become a host?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Is anyone having an issue with the FR24 site? Trying to use it to track a flight, but it's not loading anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Is anyone having an issue with the FR24 site? Trying to use it to track a flight, but it's not loading anything.

Just checked mine, working fine, im on the iPhone app though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Working fine on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Yeah, it's back working now. Maybe it was just my internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

billie1b wrote: »
    How do you become a host?

Fill in the form at the bottom of this page http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Can you help fill in the blanks where the FR24 main Irish ADS-B receivers are located: I will try to get a Mod to move this to the first page when its nearly complete.

ADS-B RECEIVER:
    F-EIWF1 - Top Blackstairs Mountains (South East)
    F-EINN1 -
    F-EIDW1
    N-EIDW2
    T-EIKN2 -
    T-EIKN3
    F-EGNS1
    F-EGNS2
    N-EGCC1 Manchester.
    F-EGAA1
    T-EGNR12
    N-EGCC1
    F-EGPF1

MLAT
    T-MLAT - Cumulative Network

Post Bump - someone must know where the Irish receivers are :)

Spotted this beauty today driving by the airport just about to depart (photo taken from the web).
    The winglets really stand out, only delivered September 2013 and as you can see, its not even up on FR24 yet.

288115.jpg

288116.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You could submit that photo for FR24 to use if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Sully wrote: »
    Aer Lingus flight from Cork to Arrecife, EIN876.

There is an area just west of Morocco about midway between Portugal and the Canary Islands that is out of Flightradar's range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

flazio wrote: »
    You could submit that photo for FR24 to use if you want.

Don't you have to be the copyright owner of the photo?

Reoil wrote: »
    Don't you have to be the copyright owner of the photo?

I guess so, I doubt I can submit someone elses photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Apologies, I thought you had took that yourself Diesel Power. Moving on...
    Quick question, I know the approach/hold waypoint for RWY 27 at Knock is ENULA but what's the point over Castlebar to the west of the airport called? Would be used for approach to RWY 9.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement