Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Probably pretty standard- I've seen stuff leaving Stansted going in that direction fly a similar departure

Yeah no doubt I'm overegging it - was just strange to hear the roar of a takeoff straight over my house not heard that before apart from maybe a go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah no doubt I'm overegging it - was just strange to hear the roar of a takeoff straight over my house not heard that before apart from maybe a go around.

It might have this engine design

billie1b wrote: »
    It might have this engine design

What would that mean?

What would that mean?

Its a newer more economical engine, supposedly the design on the back reduces noise and drag

Its a newer more economical engine, supposedly the design on the back reduces noise and drag

I've being really selfcentered here but I've never got the drama of aircraft noise over people's houses - for me personally, it's relaxing to hear them as you try to go to sleep and they'd never wake me up - it's people that do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've being really selfcentered here but I've never got the drama of aircraft noise over people's houses - for me personally, it's relaxing to hear them as you try to go to sleep and they'd never wake me up - it's people that do that.

Me neither. I've lived quite close to Dublin and Birmingham airports, and with modern 737s and A320s mostly, the noise is just part of the background.

When mass aviation started though, I would imagine it was a much bigger deal, and this feeds into attitudes today. I remember as a kid going to Shannon once and hearing older 747s and Ilyushins taking off, and you would literally not be able to hear the person in front of you shouting. Now I can understand if people felt those were a bit of a nuisance! :D

fricatus wrote: »
    Me neither. I've lived quite close to Dublin and Birmingham airports, and with modern 737s and A320s mostly, the noise is just part of the background.

When mass aviation started though, I would imagine it was a much bigger deal, and this feeds into attitudes today. I remember as a kid going to Shannon once and hearing older 747s and Ilyushins taking off, and you would literally not be able to hear the person in front of you shouting. Now I can understand if people felt those were a bit of a nuisance! :D

Doesn't bother me at all, I love the good aul roar of an aircraft engine, especially the old 737-200

Doesn't bother me at all, I love the good aul roar of an aircraft engine, especially the old 737-200

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSZwBfaB35E

No word of a lie when they used to land in LTN it could be heard the town over (a few others too, but you'd think something had exploded up there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSZwBfaB35E

No word of a lie when they used to land in LTN it could be heard the town over (a few others too, but you'd think something had exploded up there)

I live about 14km (as the crow flies) from Dublin Airport, I can remember nights lying in bed reading and if a Ryanair flight was delayed on the 200's i'd be able to hear the reverse thrusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cactus466

AA199 from MXP to JFK turning around over Galway, descending too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Cactus466 wrote: »

That's an interesting one. It's hard to know where he's going too

Cactus466 wrote: »

He's still on Shannon High freq, think he's heading to London

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Now he's doing something funny over the Welsh coast. Is he heading for Dublin now?

http://www.flightradar24.com/AAL199/29788b5

• Registered Users Posts: 15 urbanjim1

Guess they faniced having a quick look at Newport!

Very interesting this one. A comment you can only post on here, without people questioning you.

Apparently off to Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

urbanjim1 wrote: »
    Guess they faniced having a quick look at Newport!

Very interesting this one. A comment you can only post on here, without people questioning you.

Dumping before landing at Bristol maybe??
    Or London even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

6A529943-EF37-4B3D-B8D2-952BCE7DDC4B_zpsc0rv2gaf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

15000ft id guess they were dumping fuel b4 heading of to london.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Razor44 wrote: »
    15000ft id guess they were dumping fuel b4 heading of to london.

19000ft all the way from when he was over limerick and then circling off the welsh coast,has to be burning off as much fuel as he can to prevent an overweight landing in Heathrow.Can't be that big of an issue he isn' t squaking an emergency.he is returning to LHR as American have maintenance base and plenty of other flights they can get the pax back out on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,331 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Looks like Sounthampton now - we should have a sweep on which airport it finally touches down at!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cactus466

As the poster above said, it is most likely LHR.

I suspect it's just burning a lot of fuel as it would have been quite heavy crossing the atlantic. Came all the way down to 15,000ft to increase the fuel burn and be lighter for landing.

Let see..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 urbanjim1

Perhaps they spotted the 'ghost ship' of the coast of Galway!

He announced about 30 minutes ago to SNN to contact London to tell them he would have to go into a hold to burn up fuel as he was overweight to land in LHR

• Registered Users Posts: 33,331 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never said why, no?

EDIT - also says he;s 13,000 feet up about 100 km out from LHR - seems a bit high. Is that a glitch? Or preparing to hold?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Never said why, no?

EDIT - also says he;s 13,000 feet up about 100 km out from LHR - seems a bit high. Is that a glitch? Or preparing to hold?

No never said why, well I didnt catch it to be honest, just heard them talking about going to LHR and holding to burn fuel.
    Could be a holding pattern outside of LHR, you'd be very lucky to get into LHR without some type of hold

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

smurfjed wrote: »
    Built 500ft amsl so its affected by weather earlier than surrounding airports, lousy crosswinds and turbulence on arrival, relatively short runway, single entry taxiways to runway, incredibly irritating immigration personnel, luckily we drive to London for layovers, rather than staying in Luton.
    Worked in Luton Airport about 25 years ago. it was closed due to fog a lot alright.it meant i got a break but when it cleared it was hard work. still i enjoyed it as i always liked aircraft etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

So whats this guy up to then? Training flight?

PDqzcJJ.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

So whats this guy up to then? Training flight?

PDqzcJJ.jpg?1

Where did it start out from?more than likely a test flight after a maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Started off in Marseille, took a more or less direct route (but not quite) and has recently landed in Dublin after a roundabout route via Portlaoise and Carlow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Look like they were doing a fly past for the Aran Island!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just returned from heavy maintenance at ATR as far as I know, so it would likely be a test/acceptance flight.

edit: mustn't read so fast, EI-REH != EI-ERH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement