Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

pfurey101 wrote: »
    ATTN Mods or thread owner:
    I used to follow this thread until they were hijacked by excessive and very excitable running commentaries by those all watching and listening to the same events. Would it be possible to set up a type of "Live Commentary" thread as there is a need for it.

The FR24 Thread is only just over 4 months old and already is in the top four forums in the aviation section with over 112,000 views, so thanks to everyone for their contributions, I only ever expected the odd aircraft on FR24 overhead to be discussed.

Yes the running commentary has stretched out the FR24 info being posted, but you know what, it shows that threads find a natural balance and this is part of the fun of FR24 itself, it has created and developed a whole new world of virtual aircraft spotting and tracking that is going to grow and grow and you are all part of this now.

Since Christmas there has been about ~6 major storms (with another one tomorrow) and Irish Airspace has been disrupted more times than I have ever seen (or noticed) in the past and it has been tracked here with great feedback at all hours of the day and night. Kudos again to Mech1 for setting up his LiveATC feed which has complimented FR24 discussions here along with Urajoke for some local knowledge and clarification on points.

Is a Mod able to put up a poll to see if folks would like to keep the FR24 thead as it is or split it out and keep the running commentaries separate (I like it the way it is at the moment, all in once place, but hard to go back and find something you know was posted a week again about an aircraft). What would others like to see?

Keep the FR24 discussion and the commentaries going, we are listening !!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A split of threads does seem a good idea to be honest - as you say it can be hard to keep track if you're coming back to look for something specific. I know I must be the worst offender for some very pointless posts (perhaps the only offender) so apologies for this; I will try to pipe down.

fr336 wrote: »
    A split of threads does seem a good idea to be honest - as you say it can be hard to keep track if you're coming back to look for something specific. I know I must be the worst offender for some very pointless posts (perhaps the only offender) so apologies for this; I will try to pipe down.

Fr336, I meant to mention you as a particularly busy contributor to the thread. Well done, keep it up, don't pipe down. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Fr336, I meant to mention you as a particularly busy contributor to the thread. Well done, keep it up, don't pipe down. ;)

If you're trying to make me tear up, you're succeeding.

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »

How do you know its going to Shannon?

This is the type of post FR24 thread is for.

I see this DC8 has been in Shannon a few times before :)

292785.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I honestly love this thread the way it is, I think if they kept it to just technical it would be very boring very fast and not as popular.
    FR336 is a great contributor and asks genuine aviation questions that people are more than happy to answer, I also think he should keep it up and anyone else with similar interest start to post more often, the guy (fr336) has 4 main London airports around him and still he prefers Dublin and this thread to the likes of LHR, LGW and STN, that should tell you something about this thread.
    My personal opinion to improve the thread would be to link this (fr24) and the Live ATC together, its very easy to get lost in it all while swapping between the two of them, or perhaps to make a new "FR24 Live/Live ATC status" thread merged together. I wouldn't know how to do it but I reckon it would be a good popular thread. Either way i'm happy with things the way they are.

Thanks to the mods and creators of it and most contributors for letting it be the way it is

Billie

How do you know its going to Shannon?

https://twitter.com/flightradar24

Brilliant, didnt know about that feed.

Don't forget the Dublin Airport Approaches and Holds Thread to help you visualize where aircraft are being sent as they descend into Dublin airport.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, didnt know about that feed.

When i open FR there is a list with the latest twitter feed in the panel on the left side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Keep it the way it is - I've even added it to my Suscribed threads!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I too like it the way it is. I think this thread may have evolved from when a load of posters (myself included) were doing a running commentary on a stormy night in Autumn last year, we totally high jacked someone's thread, rooting for planes, watching go-arounds on FR24 and listening to LiveATC. The thread completely moved off topic from the OP!

My suggestion would be the merging of the EIDW and this thread, as the content can be similar/complementary, just a thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭flazio

can I just point out it's not only DUB's ATC that we follow, there's also feeds for SNN, NOC and ORK which tend to crop up in conversation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Love this thread, keep in coming!

Another interesting one over Sochi

http://www.flightradar24.com/RSD47/2ac21cd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Where did the flight originate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

the flight over sochi is still flying circuits...its a airbourne realy station........or so it says on fr24

They must be dizzzzzzzzzy :)

292814.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Why is RE98CW descended to 8000 over the Irish sea off wicklow.

Heard on ATC it was to maintain 12000 over the Wicklow mountains.

Why is it so low? I know its only going to cardiff but I would have thought it would go much higher than that.

oak5548 wrote: »
    Why is RE98CW descended to 8000 over the Irish sea off wicklow.

Heard on ATC it was to maintain 12000 over the Wicklow mountains.

Why is it so low? I know its only going to cardiff but I would have thought it would go much higher than that.

Weather, pressurisation problems, could be a list of things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

We flew on an aer arann flight from DUB-EIKN before at 7000ft due to strong winds at higher altitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well, I dont contribute a lot to the thread, because I'm afraid ill say something stupid!

But one thing I will say, I will never be afraid of landing in high winds ever again. That is because I was watching FR24, and listening to Dublin ATC feeds when the storms were high over the last few weeks.

Honestly, I have never heard more laid back pilots or ATCs during the high winds.

Go pilots and ATC!

Just goes to show. I now know that gust of 45kph( sorry if out by a mile there!), may be out of range for certain aircraft rules and pilots. So despite the rocking and rolling up there n approach, I am happy that the odd go around is ok, and if it's not working out, the pilot will divert.

Aaagh, isn't that nice to know now!

Love the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Im happy to merge threads if its useful, (up to a mod to do it, after a poll I guess)

Mech1 wrote: »
    Im happy to merge threads if its useful

I think it would be great, but thats just me

EI387 (EI-EPS) looks like its diverting from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Or how about we just start a new one?

"FR24 with ATC feeds Discussion / Chat"

sounds good to me.

• Advertisement

EI-DCM/RYR372Z just departing Knock from London Stansted now. hours late. Knock is usually well asleep by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement