Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

girls in rock music/ scene?

• 30-09-2013 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey, i am a girl who love rock music and rock lads etc... but for some reason i really dislike girl singers/ bands in rock.... anyone else with me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Plenty of talented female singers/vocalists in Rock/Metal bands who I wouldn't dismiss just because they're female. Is there any particular reason why female vocalists don't appeal to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

DeniseMc90 wrote: »
    Hey, i am a girl who love rock music and rock lads etc... but for some reason i really dislike girl singers/ bands in rock.... anyone else with me?

I couldn't agree more.

Now I love Joss Stone, Skye Edwards, Dusty Springfield and I'm going to see Alicia Keys next month...............however......

Women have no place in rock/metal.
    It's just wrong.

I love the female voice, but just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeniseMc90

i just dont think there voices are strong or raw enough for hard metal bass type songs. i just dont think it suits.... now i am a girl myself and love rock music. but i just dont think a female voice suits most rock songs. do you have a fave band you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I love metal but there are very few female fronted bands I enjoy. Rock/grunge is a different story though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

It's just wrong.
    Sorry but I strongly disagree with this, it all comes down to personal preference. There's quite a few rock and metal bands that I enjoy who have female vocalists such as The Gathering, Babes In Toyland, Jack Off Jill, X, Acid King, and Menace Ruine among others. And I like those bands based on their sound regardless of the gender of their frontperson.

Saying that women have no place in rock and metal comes off as backwards and narrow-minded.

• Advertisement

women have every right to be in rock music etc.. but i am just saying there voices just dnt quite match mens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's just wrong.

Yo, the 1950's called. They want their mindset back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

i just dont think there voices are strong or raw enough for hard metal bass type songs.

you are so very, very wrong!

Alissa White Gluz with Kamelot:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It's just wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is the stupidest statement I'm going to hear all week, and it's still only Monday morning, bravo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

blastman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is the stupidest statement I'm going to hear all week, and it's still only Monday morning, bravo!!

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I really don't like female singers either. Perhaps it's more down to the music itself, but I've found normal bands with female singers just lack something and I can't put my finger on it.

However, there are some exceptions. Jefferson Airplane are awesome and Grace Slick's voice really adds to the 70s tripped out vibe

Also, Undersmile have a pretty messed up dual female vocal attack that manages to make softly spoken words sound like a living nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

My favourite metal bands are predominantly male fronted but there are some excellent female vocalists out there.
    Ones I can think of would be:
    Epica, Within Temptation, Therion, Tristania, Sirenia, The Gathering, Ayreon, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, Arch Enemy, After Forever. Also Anathema, Queensryche & Antimatter have some great songs with female vocals.

You're welcome.
    I wasn't thanking you.

i get some people like girls in bands, but to me.. they just dnt fit quite right, i wish my mind wud like them, but its just not right!

- got a question,

whats your all time fave song?

my all time fave songs are

1. Motley Crue - Dr.Feelgood
    2. Pantera - Cowboys from hell
    3. Def Leppard - Animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Why is it that singers like Robert Planet and Bon Scott sing in really high pitched voices but are considered ultra masculine?

And for those of you who view listening to metal as a competitive sport and don't think that female vocals can ever be metal enough for your tastes, have a listen to Thorr's Hammer, a band formed in 1994 by Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson of Sunn O))) and a Norwegian girl called Runhild Gammelsæter. Her vocals could strip the skin clean off you and she puts most male metal vocalists to shame.

Did I mention she was only 17?

I don't think they are manly, but i do think people think they are powerful or something like this,, because the fronted great rock bands!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I like female vocalists in metal, but usually in more symphonic bands than typical heavy metal style.

If it's a woman playing an instrument, who cares?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

women playing guitars and bass, is awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I'm a big fan of female vocalists, especially Nell Sigland (Theatre of Tragedy) Amy Lee (Evanescence) Sharon Den Adel (Within Temptation) Vibeke Stene (Tristania) and Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)

Nell Sigland is outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I like 'em, here's some of my favs, throughout the years

Oooooh, Gypsy Queen, twins :D:D Seen them live at The Tivoli (Buckley) in the late 80's

Lita

My favourite, Brody Dalle, have a great story about her from about 6 years ago

Another favourite, Sandra Nasic

And the one and only Courtney

scudzilla wrote: »

My favourite, Brody Dalle, have a great story about her from about 6 years ago

Do tell... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭weisses

..................................\\close thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Sorry but I strongly disagree with this, it all comes down to personal preference. There's quite a few rock and metal bands that I enjoy who have female vocalists such as The Gathering, Babes In Toyland, Jack Off Jill, X, Acid King, and Menace Ruine among others. And I like those bands based on their sound regardless of the gender of their frontperson.

Saying that women have no place in rock and metal comes off as backwards and narrow-minded.

It might be un PC to say such things, but the fact is that when it comes to writing the history of classic metal bands there will be next to no female fronted bands in it. It's primarily a macho, testosterone driven genre for better or worse. They have may a place in metal but it is a very niche one.

jpm4 wrote: »
    It might be un PC to say such things, but the fact is that when it comes to writing the history of classic metal bands there will be next to no female fronted bands in it. It's primarily a macho, testosterone driven genre for better or worse. They have may a place in metal but it is a very niche one.
    They'll probably never have as big a presence in metal as men do but there's a big difference in saying that and saying that they shouldn't belong in metal at all. I do find that male vocals work best in metal for the most part, apart from some exceptions of course which have been mentioned by people in this thread.

However there are genres where I think female vocals work better than male vocals for the most part, such as trip-hop for example with bands like Portishead, Morcheeba, Lamb, Hooverphonic etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Was Sarah Jezebel Deva mentioned already? Her voice is just amazing :cool:

Action from 1:25

Young female Metal talents :D

• Advertisement

Last one i post regarding this subject, there's only so much epicness i can link too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

NO!! Women have been involved in top tunes over the years find it odd you seem to dismiss the whole idea. You don't like one rock/metal song with a female on the mic? not even a song you like slightly? really?

i get some people like girls in bands, but to me.. they just dnt fit quite right, i wish my mind wud like them, but its just not right!

my all time fave songs are

1. Motley Crue - Dr.Feelgood
    2. Pantera - Cowboys from hell
    3. Def Leppard - Animal

Funny, 2 out the 3 bands you listed are hair metal bands which main characteristics are dressing like and wearing more make up than some women and this does sit right with you?? Motley Crue had a female drummer and Nikki Sixx has stated he prob wouldn't have went to L.A. if it weren't for the Runaways.

Def Leppard don't agree with you either

Couldn't dismiss any band because the vocalist is female obviously there is a smaller pool than the men and then and even smaller pool of female fronted rock/m bands that are great.

Who left you outta the kitchen to start this thread anyway? :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Surprised there's been no mention of Rolo Tomassi yet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Have to mention Halestorm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

That is a ridiculous statement. Some good shouts made already (particularly The Gathering), so I'll add:

Agnete M. Kirkevaag of Madder Mortem would eat derivative rubbish like Motley Crue and Def Leppard for breakfast, her vocals are way, way more powerful than a lot of male-fronted bands.

Danishta Rivero has a beautiful voice that really adds (when she was in the band at least) to Aghora's music.

Anyone who's ever listened to Sleater-Kinney and reckons women don't have a place in rock should probably go to Specsavers (they do hearing tests now!).

Candace Kucsulain certainly sounds like she could skin you.

And Kim Gordon has no place in music? Sheesh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Nice top three there, you've been to Club Poison I assume...

Ok, for one, your favourite song is by Motley Crue, and you placed them before Pantera, so I amn't going to take you seriously.

I think you should expand your musical horizons, even if it is within one genre of music.

There is a wealth of ridiculously talented female vocalists in rock music, it is incredibly difficult for them to be taken seriously as it is, not for their appearance/ sexuality. To dismiss a wide range of vocal styles based solely on gender is pretty closed minded.

You like old school stuff, here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can't believe it took so long for Brody Dalle to be mentioned.

Not a big fan but one that hasn't been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I originally felt the same as the OP. this thread has taught me what a fool i was AND introduced me to some awesome new bands. i dont know why but this is the first time iv ever posted in the metal forum. does it do a beers because you people are fu©kin awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Arch Enemy

What band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I originally felt the same as the OP. this thread has taught me what a fool i was AND introduced me to some awesome new bands. i dont know why but this is the first time iv ever posted in the metal forum. does it do a beers because you people are fu©kin awesome
    beers could be arranged I'm sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Love both of these tracks:

Heart really did a number with this cover:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sabina Claassen (Holy Moses)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxBQ09OGD8

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only released their debut EP this year, but I love this girls vocals

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement