Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good incontinence pull-ups/briefs for adult men?

• 30-09-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Are there any decent incontinence briefs out there for adult men? I don't mean the pull-up nappies which really resemble nappies, but actually something that resembles briefs or boxer shorts and would give the wearer some more dignity?

I've searched online but am in need of some real life experience with them.

They would need to work for faecal incontinence as well for sufferer of constipation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Have already asked HSE what they have- am still looking!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

You tried Boots.com?
    Have no experience of using them so can't comment on suitability.
    I think that what you're looking for may be incompatible with heavy duty use ie faecal incontinence, but I may be wrong and hopefully someone here can advise you better.
    If you don't get any advice, I suspect you'll have to opt for trial and error. Good luck.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Have you looked at the shaped pads that can be worn with underpants? They are suitable for faecal incontinence and are a bit more dignified than the side fastening ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

WildRosie wrote: »
    Have you looked at the shaped pads that can be worn with underpants? They are suitable for faecal incontinence and are a bit more dignified than the side fastening ones.

I haven't seen those. I've just been looking at the all in one briefs.
    Where can I get these?

I've ordered them from Homecare Medical for a family member. They will send out a free sample also. You can get mesh pants to go with them, but a pair of snug fitting underpants work just as well.

Here is a link to the shaped ones. There are different capacities to hold different volumes so I would suggest getting a few samples first so that you can find which one best suits your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

After many trials and many errors, I now buy Tena Pants for men, they come in various sizes and strengths of absorbency. Nothing is fool proof and faecal incontinence is particularly hard to cope with but for an all round, fairly discreet underpants type product, this is what we now use. I order them online from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk, I buy roughly a year's supply at a time as they have very good bulk order deals by the box. You do need a bit of storage for them but it's one less hassle when you don't have to worry about running out. They have quite an extensive selection of different brands and styles but like you, we wanted something more like a regular garment than the side fastening pads and these fit the bill.

This works for us, hope the info is of some help to you.

• Advertisement

I've ordered them from Homecare Medical for a family member. They will send out a free sample also. You can get mesh pants to go with them, but a pair of snug fitting underpants work just as well.

Here is a link to the shaped ones. There are different capacities to hold different volumes so I would suggest getting a few samples first so that you can find which one best suits your needs.

Has the wearer of these any problems with keeping the pads in place? I'd be afraid they'd move out of place too easily.

Not a bad option though. They've got to be easier to accept than the nappy ones?

janmaree wrote: »
    After many trials and many errors, I now buy Tena Pants for men, they come in various sizes and strengths of absorbency. Nothing is fool proof and faecal incontinence is particularly hard to cope with but for an all round, fairly discreet underpants type product, this is what we now use. I order them online from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk, I buy roughly a year's supply at a time as they have very good bulk order deals by the box. You do need a bit of storage for them but it's one less hassle when you don't have to worry about running out. They have quite an extensive selection of different brands and styles but like you, we wanted something more like a regular garment than the side fastening pads and these fit the bill.

This works for us, hope the info is of some help to you.

He has something like these already from the HSE but the front part with the padded part might be slimmer. Worth a try for sure.

thanks for all of the replies everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

pog it wrote: »
    Has the wearer of these any problems with keeping the pads in place? I'd be afraid they'd move out of place too easily.

Not a bad option though. They've got to be easier to accept than the nappy ones?

My late mother was originally supplied those type of pads (Euron brand) via the public health nurse. She found them very awkward to put on and the mesh pants didn't hold them up very well. They may well work better with normal underwear but you need to take into account that the higher absorbencies in particular are quite large and bulky.

Eventually we gave up on them and I bought her Tena pants which she found more comfortable and manageable. After much wrangling with bureaucracy, the nurse managed to get her Euron 'Mobi' pants. These were similar to Tena, but a little bulkier. Although supposedly designed to help 'mobile' patients retain their independence, (easier to pull up and down themselves) at the time the HSE was only issuing them to those who were bed-bound. :rolleyes:

sunbeam wrote: »
    My late mother was originally supplied those type of pads (Euron brand) via the public health nurse. She found them very awkward to put on and the mesh pants didn't hold them up very well. They may well work better with normal underwear but you need to take into account that the higher absorbencies in particular are quite large and bulky.

Eventually we gave up on them and I bought her Tena pants which she found more comfortable and manageable. After much wrangling with bureaucracy, the nurse managed to get her Euron 'Mobi' pants. These were similar to Tena, but a little bulkier. Although supposedly designed to help 'mobile' patients retain their independence, (easier to pull up and down themselves) at the time the HSE was only issuing them to those who were bed-bound. :rolleyes:

These are the ones we got through the HSE. Or they look very damn like them.

My family member has never had problems with them. She used to use Tena Lady from the chemist but found them uncomfortable, particularly around the legs. She also found they didn't come up far enough at the back to give her confidence. She thought they looked like nappies and found it quite demoralising and really didn't want to wear them. She thinks these ones look more like sanitary towels and are more appropriate for her. These ones suit her because she would be dealing with large volumes of watery stool. She wears them with her own underwear which covers the pad completely. The other important consideration for her when we chose these ones was removal. These ones are easy to take off discretely without risking spillage. One last thing is that these ones aren't rustly like some of the others, mainly the side fastening ones. She's an active woman in her 50's and we spent a lot of time finding the right ones for her as having to wear them was impacting her mental health quite badly as she was going to have a colostomy but has put it on hold for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

My family member has never had problems with them. She used to use Tena Lady from the chemist but found them uncomfortable, particularly around the legs. She also found they didn't come up far enough at the back to give her confidence. She thought they looked like nappies and found it quite demoralising and really didn't want to wear them. She thinks these ones look more like sanitary towels and are more appropriate for her. These ones suit her because she would be dealing with large volumes of watery stool. She wears them with her own underwear which covers the pad completely. The other important consideration for her when we chose these ones was removal. These ones are easy to take off discretely without risking spillage. One last thing is that these ones aren't rustly like some of the others, mainly the side fastening ones. She's an active woman in her 50's and we spent a lot of time finding the right ones for her as having to wear them was impacting her mental health quite badly as she was going to have a colostomy but has put it on hold for the time being.

I'm glad your family member has found incontinence wear she is happy with. :) My mother also found the whole experience completely demoralising and almost refused to wear anything at all until we found her a type she found comfortable.

At the time she was in her late seventies, with very severe arthritis and limited mobility and found it hard to position the pads herself. I suspect that the net pants we were given were actually way too big as she had lost a lot of weight during her final years.

Advertisement