Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good dog needed badly

Options
  • 30-09-2013 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

my mate has spend the last year training a springer for me as i have no knowledge on this subject but the dog won't work for me any more as i can't control it. should i get another working dog or spend more time on my own. getting really mad at her at this stage.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

my mate has spend the last year training a springer for me as i have no knowledge on this subject but the dog won't work for me any more as i can't control it. should i get another working dog or spend more time on my own. getting really mad at her at this stage.:confused:

No point getting another one if u cant control the 1 you have. Spend as much time as possible with the dog you need to build a bond with the dog. Get your friend to show you the how to work her and give it time. Its not the dogs fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

jap gt wrote: »
    No point getting another one if u cant control the 1 you have. Spend as much time as possible with the dog you need to build a bond with the dog. Get your friend to show you the how to work her and give it time. Its not the dogs fault

Always always try your best to stay calm. When you get wound up your dog can sense this and it can wind her up and of make her nervous and confused. Go back to basics with her yourself.

If your new to it remember she prob knows more about it than you at this stage if she is properly trained. So there is a chance she is getting confused and or questioning your authority.

Back to basics and build the trust again. She will fly through it. Stay calm and when she does something right praise the dog with loads of rubbing and Ada girls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

dont get another dog...anytime u are at home have the dog out with u praise her and have her on lead get her to sit and walk her to heel on lead plenty praise and have a few cubes of cheese my springer loves it...problem seems to be she is seeing ur friend as her master so u have to get her doing it for u again. once she is out with u and sitting on command and that let her off at a local hurling pitch as its fenced in and she cant run to far if she dont listen...when she does come to u give her plenty praise and a little cube of cheese worked for me this way then when she is coming to you try it in open country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

just out of curiosity what kind of dog is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Your friend must have done a great job training the dog to say that you can't control him now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

12 MONTHS jasus he should be doing backflips by now

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Guys is there anyone around where Pheasntstalker is based, who is used to hunting springers?Maybe they could head out with him for a stroll and evaluate the dog for him? that way an experienced guy could advise if the situation with the dog is retrievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

But is this a thread by the real Pheasantstalker ???

It's a sad say when The Aussie has to quote Marshall Mathers but will the real Pheasantstalker please stand up....

He has not been using the site since last August or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

The Aussie wrote: »
    But is this a thread by the real Pheasantstalker ???

It's a sad say when The Aussie has to quote Marshall Mathers but will the real Pheasantstalker please stand up....

He has not been using the site since last August or something :rolleyes:
    My bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    My bad...

Yeh I don't know either mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement