Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming back MediCare on Tax Return????

Options
  • 30-09-2013 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

So apparently my friend has claimed back MediCare for the last two years on his tax return.

My understanding was Rep of Ire. citizens do not qualify for Medicare so shouldn't get anything back..??

Where is this money coming from or were does it usually, as in, do i pay it somehow, my employer????

Would just like to find out as I've lodged my tax return but if there is MediCare there i'd like to see whats going on as I didn't claim it on last years return and if I can ill do it this year.

Anyone have any insight into this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

!Nicky! wrote: »
    So apparently my friend has claimed back MediCare for the last two years on his tax return.

My understanding was Rep of Ire. citizens do not qualify for Medicare so shouldn't get anything back..??

Where is this money coming from or were does it usually, as in, do i pay it somehow, my employer????

Would just like to find out as I've lodged my tax return but if there is MediCare there i'd like to see whats going on as I didn't claim it on last years return and if I can ill do it this year.

Anyone have any insight into this??

Part of the tax you pay is actually to the Medicare levy. It is approx 1-2% of your annual salary.

So yes, you can claim a refund on this because you cannot avail of the service.

You need to download, fill in and return a Medicare exemption form to get a Medicare exemption cert and submit this with your tax return. I believe you can backdate this to last year as well but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Have done three tax returns and never gotten the exemption cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Batgurl's right about everything except that you don't need to get the exemption cert. I've done two tax returns without getting it and got my money both times without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Yup, more often than not you don't need the cert but if the ATO request it, your supposed to physically have it.

It's kind of a blurred line but my accountant said they are cracking down on it more so he won't submit mine this year til I have it despite not submitting it the last two years.

Your choice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Batgurl wrote: »
    Yup, more often than not you don't need the cert but if the ATO request it, your supposed to physically have it.

It's kind of a blurred line but my accountant said they are cracking down on it more so he won't submit mine this year til I have it despite not submitting it the last two years.

Your choice really.

Ah ok, I didn't realise they were supposed to be cracking down on it. It's free to get it anyway so no harm getting the cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You certainly DO need the cert, they might not ask for it, but if they ask for a cert from 3 years ago (which happened to me) then just a simple case of ringing medicare for a reprint. Otherwise you would have to apply for the cert with all relevant documentation from 3 years prior (nightmare),if you cannot produce the cert they can charge you full whack + interest + penalties. if you say lose your passport then you are screwed. in 2012 they asked me for medicare form from 09, 10 & 11.

Easiest thing to do is apply, but send off the tax form without it (knowing it's on the way) plenty of info in the sticky and 'Tax thread 2013' about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Actually claiming back Medicare is very misleading, if you are excempt you don't claim it back because you don't actually pay it in the first place.

No one actually pays Medicare until the end of the tax year anyway, when you do your tax return it calculates your Medicare levy on your taxable income. They then come up with a bill for Medicare which you have to pay... which usually/hopefully comes out of your withheld tax which should cover it.

The point is its impossible for the ATO to actually tax your for Medicare through out the year as is dependent on you declaring (a) Taxable income (b) wether you are Medicare excempt.

If you claim an exemption the ATO can chase you for the certificate, also for those who lodge an application for PR through out the year cannot claim 365 days exemption as once you apply for PR you are entitled to Medicare and are not exempt.

Doing your tax return is actually the act of paying your tax, the tax that is withheld on a weekly/monthly basis is really like a forced saving for the tax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I got a letter today lookin for my Medicare exemption certificate for 2012 (Having submitted my tax return without applying for yhr cert) Fortunately I have all the info to apply for it now.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get these back once applied for?

• Hasmunch wrote: »
    I got a letter today lookin for my Medicare exemption certificate for 2012 (Having submitted my tax return without applying for yhr cert) Fortunately I have all the info to apply for it now.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get these back once applied for?

Took me more than 2 months to get mine back.

Advertisement