Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

note to cyclist in dublin

Options
  • 30-09-2013 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hey - just a note to let you know the cops are stopping cyclist who break red lights - and im sure other stuff around the city - a safety week or something -
    court summons will be issued - or so I was told !!!!
    I got caught on Queens street

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

hey - just a note to let you know the cops are stopping cyclist who break red lights - and im sure other stuff around the city - a safety week or something -

Shouldn't be ignoring the rules of the road to begin with. And I'm a cyclist before anyone asks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nice to see the guards doing their jobs and catching people who break the rules of the road ( i also cycle ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

As a cyclist, and someone that gets peeved at other cyclists doing what they like, this is good news.

I'd also welcome enforcement of speed limits around the city centre, penalties for parking in cycling lanes and a host of other infractions by motorists that make cycling in the city frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Awesome. Saw no Gardai doing this today on my cycle in, but hopefully they are taking a hardline on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

about bloody time. are they also enforcing high vis and lights on bikes ?

I dread this time of year and all the cyclists dressed in black with no lights. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I hope they also enforce the rules pertaining to cycling the wrong way up streets,mounting the pavement and failure to indicate before turning...

Cyclists are a menace in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

John Mason wrote: »

I dread this time of year and all the cyclists dressed in black with no lights. :mad:
    Wearing high visibility clothing (or helmet) is not a legal requirement (although many motorists seem to think it is).

chopper6 wrote: »
    I hope they also enforce the rules pertaining to cycling the wrong way up streets,mounting the pavement and failure to indicate before turning...

Cyclists are a menace in dublin.

As a cyclist, pedestrian and driver i think i can safely say (from my own personal experience) that it's Dublins car drivers who are the menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

This is a welcome development. It'd be nice not to be nearly mown down when crossing the road on a green man light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

bumper234 wrote: »
    As a cyclist, pedestrian and driver i think i can safely say (from my own personal experience) that it's Dublins car drivers who are the menace.

I don't think drivers have the monopoly on being a menace, I think some cyclists, some pedestrians and some drivers can all act careless on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cson wrote: »
    This is a welcome development. It'd be nice not to be nearly mown down when crossing the road on a green man light.
    I totally agree.

It would also be a welcome development if pedestrians who cross the street in front of cyclists without looking or ignoring their 'red man' were fined also.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

about time they do something about this.
    i would say i am a "road user" i cycle, run and drive a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Galadriel wrote: »
    I don't think drivers have the monopoly on being a menace, I think some cyclists, some pedestrians and some drivers can all act careless on the roads.

I think it's best summed up as "some people are a menace".

I cycle, drive, walk and run. I'd like to think I don't menace anyone regardless of how I'm travelling. I have on occasion been menaced by walking idiots, cycling idiots and driving idiots. Some people will just cause hassle no matter how they get around.

Galadriel wrote: »

Totally agree i was almost knocked down by a cyclist this morning crossing from O'Connell bridge to D'Olier street. A very angry man who shouted at me for crossing the road and when i pointed out that the green man was lit for people to cross he informed me that red lights are only there for motorists! I promptly laughed at him told him to cop on and **** off and carried on my way. The day before i walked out in front of a car near my home as i headed to the shop. Car was going slow but does not excuse my stupidity. As you said there is no monopoly on stupidity in Dublin or any other city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Just bloody right. Vanalism of any kind should not be tolerated.

Saw a woman getting absolutely creamed by a cyclist this morning at College Green...the green man was showing but teh cyclist continued through just as the woman stopped to pick something up that she'd dropped...cue the cyclist whacking into her,calling her a "stupid bitch" and continuing on his way as if nothing had happened.

On friday i saw a cyclist at westmoreland st who didnt want to ride behind a bus undercutting it on the inside and sending the passangers trying to get on the bus flying in all directions.

This are two incidents that come to mind...cyclists seem to think the normal rules of the road dont apply to them and often take a sort of moral highground,bullying other road users and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Saw a woman getting absolutely creamed by a cyclist this morning at College Green...the green man was showing but teh cyclist continued through just as the woman stopped to pick something up that she'd dropped...cue the cyclist whacking into her,calling her a "stupid bitch" and continuing on his way as if nothing had happened.

On friday i saw a cyclist at westmoreland st who didnt want to ride behind a bus undercutting it on the inside and sending the passangers trying to get on the bus flying in all directions.

This are two incidents that come to mind SOME cyclists seem to think the normal rules of the road dont apply to them and often take a sort of moral highground,bullying other road users and pedestrians.

FYP

hardCopy wrote: »
    FYP

"some" is too many.

"some" is too many.

There will be "some" idiots no matter what.

There will be "some" idiots no matter what.

Given that they're completely unprotected they should be much more carefull....for example,i cant remember the last time i saw a cyclist using hand signals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Given that they're completely unprotected they should be much more carefull....for example,i cant remember the last time i saw a cyclist using hand signals.

I use hand signals..... and have lights, and hi-vis and reflective gear.... and a bell..... and a helmet.....

Just to illustrate that cyclists don't have a monopoly on being gob****es, what about the pedestrians who stroll, ever so slooooowwwwwlllllly across the path of oncoming traffic, without so much as a glance or an acknowledgement that said oncoming traffic (bikes and/or cars) have had to stand on the brakes to accomodate them? I seriously worry that one day the red mist will descend and I'll put the boot down and drive at one of them :mad:

No one group has the upper hand in being a menace on the roads.

So are pedestrians (even more so?) yet you keep hitting out at cyclists. I have seen pedestrians do stupid things and have even stated that i (as a pedestrian) have done so. I see more pedestrians on phone or with head phones in doing stupid things in the city center than cyclists but i see more cyclists and motorists do stupid things further out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

So are pedestrians (even more so?) yet you keep hitting out at cyclists. I have seen pedestrians do stupid things and have even stated that i (as a pedestrian) have done so. I see more pedestrians on phone or with head phones in doing stupid things in the city center than cyclists but i see more cyclists and motorists do stupid things further out of the city.

Is it because the thread is about cyclists, do you suppose? if you want to discuss pedestrians perhaps you ought to start your own thread.

mitosis wrote: »
    Is it because the thread is about cyclists, do you suppose? if you want to discuss pedestrians perhaps you ought to start your own thread.

Yeah you are right i should just let chopper keep bashing cyclists and let it all be one sided.....good luck with that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Wearing high visibility clothing (or helmet) is not a legal requirement (although many motorists seem to think it is).

Absolutely correct. In fact, so fearful are many cyclists they might be hit by a car, they go to ninja extremes not to be seen, no lights, no hi viz, dark clothing etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

John Mason wrote: »

1) High vis is not required under law.

2) It's ugly as sin.

Lights are needed when cycling at dawn, dusk and night though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

"some" is too many.

"Some" cyclists break red lights and occeasionally cause accidents and/or injuries to pedestrians.

Far more drivers speed between lights, make phone calls/send texts when driving, race amber lights, over take cyclists dangerously and hit pedestrians/cyclists/other drivers causing major injuries, head trauma and often fatalities.

The bad behaviour of a substantial percentage of drivers is a far bigger issue and a far bigger danger than the a minority of cyclists breaking read lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Some people are just jerks and those people metamorphize with the power of transport! They become:

Pedestrians - that cross roads as if they have a death wish.
    Cyclists - that seem to think that as long as they keep moving laws and ethics don't apply...
    Drivers - who for some reason forget that the things that are happening through their windows exist in the same world that they do.

I look forward to the day were upon being told that "today cyclists have to follow the rules of the road" people automatically respond with.. "Duh"

Seaneh wrote: »

The bad behaviour of a substantial percentage of drivers is a far bigger issue and a far bigger danger than the a minority of cyclists breaking read lights.

Maybe but this thread is about cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mitosis wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. In fact, so fearful are many cyclists they might be hit by a car, they go to ninja extremes not to be seen, no lights, no hi viz, dark clothing etc

Seen four cars on the drive home last night with no lights on and several others with only parking lights, 2 pedestrians fell/walked out in front of me and 1 cyclists not looking behind when pulling across a lane and 1 with no lights on an unlit toad.

My point, as with many before, some are stupid, some are assh*ts, none are in the majority.

Back on topic, good to see the RTA being enforced, hope the on the spot fines are here soon so Gardai are more inclined to push the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement