Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

note to cyclist in dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

chopper6 wrote: »
    You can't have been giving the road your full attention then can you?

I didn't have my laptop open on the handlebars, I engaged in some abstract thinking while cycling, it's an ability many humans have known as multi-tasking, that enables us to do two things at once like say, creeping up on a heard of herbivores while keeping an eye out for predators dangerous to ourselves or drooling on our keyboard while repeating George Hooks talking points.
    And while i'm at it...what proficiency or otehr tests to cyclists have to t ake before hitting the streets/

Nothing.

A motorist must pass the Driver Theory test to even qualify for a Provisional Licence,he must then take lessons from a qualified driver and is not allowed to drive unacompanied whilst learning.

In order to drive by himself the motorist must have passed the driving test,the car must be in possesion of a valid NCT certificate,motor tax and insurance.

Aditionaly motorists are regularly stopped for intoxication tests and for document checks.

Anybody can jump on a bicycle,whether it's a roadworthy contraption or not,they need no license,no test and they don't pay any kind of taxes.

It is my opinion that bicycle should be licensed,taxed and certified roadworthy and cyclists should also complete a 'driving' test before being allowed to use the city's roads.
    Grammar and spelling aside,( have you tried posting with a computerised device, they have built in spell checkers), there are a number of failures of logic here that need to be addressed:
    • Cars are licensed because they are dangerous to other road users
    • The tax is called motor tax and has been since the 30's
    • While the NCT is a complete rip-off the notion of extending it to bikes is hilariously ill-judged
    • The need for insurance on motor vehicles is due to their propensity to kill and maim

I would however favour a reintroduction of road safety training in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

It is my opinion that bicycle should be licensed,taxed and certified roadworthy and cyclists should also complete a 'driving' test before being allowed to use the city's roads.
    haha,now thats funny.

Between the regular threads on cycling in AH and now this one polluting the Dublin forum,Im under the impression Im the only driver that doesnt give a sh1t what cyclists do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread closed, the discussion this has turned into is not appropriate for the Dublin City forum, if you want to discuss the rules of the road with regards to cyclists start a thread in Commuting & Transport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement