Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iMessage Problems on iOS 7.02

• 30-09-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Since upgrading to iOS 7.02, I can receive iMessages, but I can't send them. The progress bar goes almost all the way and then just hangs there. It never reverts to SMS. Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

iniall wrote: »
    Since upgrading to iOS 7.02, I can receive iMessages, but I can't send them. The progress bar goes almost all the way and then just hangs there. It never reverts to SMS. Anyone else having this problem?

Had the same problem myself except I havnt yet updated to 7.02. Tried switching imessage off and then on again but it didnt work so done reboot by holding down sleep/wake button and home button til apple logo appears - problem sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I had the same issue on 7.0.2 on an iPhone 5. I've done a hard reset, now I just need someone to text to test it ...

Update: texting myself works, it didn't yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

It should only revert to SMS if you have this option switched on in your settings. Try a reset as suggested and switching iMessage off/on.
    Someone else reported having this problem and it was caused by having no credit as the re-activation of imessage will cost you 1 UK text message.
    I assume there's no problem with the phone you're trying to send the msg to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭iniall

fifi28 wrote: »
    Had the same problem myself except I havnt yet updated to 7.02. Tried switching imessage off and then on again but it didnt work so done reboot by holding down sleep/wake button and home button til apple logo appears - problem sorted!

Yep that worked. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Happened me Saturday. Turned off iMessage then a hard reset and then switch iMessage back on. This solved it for me. But a nuisance when it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Its not allowing me send them of my Macbook either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hard reset solved this for me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

This is happening to me last 3 nights and in morning for some reason .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Open up your Settings app and tap ‘Messages’, then disable iMessage by tapping the toggle
    Go back into the main Settings screen, then tap ‘General’ and then ‘Reset’. Now tap ‘Reset Network Settings’ and confirm the process — you may have to enter your passcode if you have one set
    Return to the Messages section and enable iMessage again
    This is supposed to solve it

7.0.3 is in testing and should fix this. Seems to be a known issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭iniall

fifi28 wrote: »

So the iMessage issue returned today, having been fine since the above fix worked on Monday. No idea why, it just started doing its progress bar going almost all the way thing this afternoon.

Hurry up 7.0.3!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

So the iMessage issue returned today, having been fine since the above fix worked on Monday. No idea why, it just started doing its progress bar going almost all the way thing this afternoon.

Hurry up 7.0.3!

Its happened twice more for me since monday - done a reset network settings and then another reboot today! Apparantly apple are on the case and will be releasing a fix but dont know when!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

decies wrote: »
    Open up your Settings app and tap ‘Messages’, then disable iMessage by tapping the toggle
    Go back into the main Settings screen, then tap ‘General’ and then ‘Reset’. Now tap ‘Reset Network Settings’ and confirm the process — you may have to enter your passcode if you have one set
    Return to the Messages section and enable iMessage again
    This is supposed to solve it

This fixed mine perfectly. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Meanwhile, if you're on Vodafone, every time iMessgae has to be turned on again, you pay for an international text message to the UK. I couldn't figure out what these txts to +447786205094 were for, so I rang Vodafone. I got *nowhere* so turned to Google. It seems that FaceTime and iMessage, when they're activated (or turned on and off or when the phone is reset) they'll send this test message to the apple server in the UK. I think Vodafone are the only ones who pass the charge on to the customer here and they will brook no argument to the contrary. I had to turn iMessage on and off a few times and yep, sure enough, the international text message charge is there on my bill. All that said, resetting the phone seems to have solved the issue. Cost me nearly €2 to find that out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bronn wrote: »
    Meanwhile, if you're on Vodafone, every time iMessgae has to be turned on again, you pay for an international text message to the UK. I couldn't figure out what these txts to +447786205094 were for, so I rang Vodafone. I got *nowhere* so turned to Google. It seems that FaceTime and iMessage, when they're activated (or turned on and off or when the phone is reset) they'll send this test message to the apple server in the UK. I think Vodafone are the only ones who pass the charge on to the customer here and they will brook no argument to the contrary. I had to turn iMessage on and off a few times and yep, sure enough, the international text message charge is there on my bill. All that said, resetting the phone seems to have solved the issue. Cost me nearly €2 to find that out.

Meteor refund the charges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You're right (the bastards!)

Just checked my bill online and they've been charging me 12c every time I've turned on and off iMessage. Apple - sort it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I think it's a Vodafone Ireland thing rather than an apple thing. O2 and Metor don't charge their customers. Vodafone's response will be;
    1) You sent the text messages. You say you didn't. They'll say you did. This will go on for quite some time. Then they'll say someone else took your phone and sent them.
    2) You feel like screaming in frustration but google the issue instead.
    3) You get back on to Vodafone and tell them what the texts are.
    4) Vodafone will then say, yes, it's FaceTime. Eventually they'll concede that it's also iMessage.
    5) Vodafone will insist that your phone will alert you to the fact that you'll be charged for an international text message when you activate iMessage. You offer to send them a screen cap where it says nothing of the kind. They say there's no need - the phones they use say differently.
    6) You explode from frustration.
    7) You're very wary of updating / restarting / resetting / doing anything to your phone in future because you're just handing more money to Vodafone.
    8) Bastards.

Btw, in the interests of clarity, I've been through this in great detail with Vodafone before. I even took them to ComReg, Consumer Agency and contacted Conor Pope. I got precisely nowhere. After all, who gives a crap about iMessage / FaceTime costing a few cent every time it needs reactivating? My point is that those "few cents" add up. On my most recent bill, it's just under €2. I'm willing to bet every Vodafone customer who has an iPhone in this country has been hit. That all adds up and Vodafone collect the munso. Nice one for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

How come the ipad does not need to send this text message only the iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Afaik that's because it's based on email not a phone number...

wush06 wrote: »
    How come the ipad does not need to send this text message only the iPhones.

Because it's activated first on an iPhone, then that activation applies to the entire account. Which the iPad just accesses.

• Advertisement

So they don't need to add the charge. It does seem to be a money maker for vodafone alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

True they don't set up the way the phone is activated but like many have said 02 and other networks don't charge so it is a money maker for them.
    Apple do it another way for the iPads. They don't need to send a international text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Son of a bxxxx , I was wondering the same myself , couldn't for life of me figure what that number is !

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Anyone else notice this issue with imessenge. Say I send a text to someone and they are out of internet coverage, the text should default to SMS after a time or I should be able to hold the text bubble and select send as text message. Now I know there are issues in the last few weeks with sending iMessages but now when I hold the text bubble I have the option to "send to email address" instead of "send as text message". Anyone know what is going on here? I have the Send as SMS button on in messages, tried switching on and off etc but to no avail?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure you have a phone number saved for them, or that it's not saved to a separate contact?

Advertisement