Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants to cover a big wall

• 30-09-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Ive got a 9 foot high 4-inch block at the back of my house backing onto a field. South Facing wall. At the moment its half covered in regular ivy. I want to get rid of the ivy and replace it with something else

Im thinking some Boston Ivy or Some Wisteria from root if I can get it.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? Should I go with these species or something else?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wisteria is lovely but needs good support and will take a few years to flower unless you buy a very mature plant. I think we waited 7 years for ours, and left the house the summer after it flowered for the first time!

On a south facing wall you have lots of choice. Just be sure there is a good depth of soil at the base of the wall and do not plant too close to the wall as the ground will tend to be dry. If you plant clematis you will need to put a paving slab or thick mulch over the roots to keep them moist and cool, they would be happy on a south wall though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Dont go with clematis, unless you want to spend your life pruning it!

What about a virginia creeper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

homer911 wrote: »

I read up a bit about it and the Virginia Creeper seems more invasive than the Boston Ivy. Good tip with the clematis though. Another idea I had was passion fruit or maybe figs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

i had a lovely large passionfruit that flowered profusely on a south facing wall, but the past winters killed it. Once it gets going, it will grow but needs support of trellisses. Another nice one is kiwi, but make sure to have male and female for fruit and another one for a south facing wall is a grape, but that needs regular pruning as does wisteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

i had a lovely large passionfruit that flowered profusely on a south facing wall, but the past winters killed it. Once it gets going, it will grow but needs support of trellisses. Another nice one is kiwi, but make sure to have male and female for fruit and another one for a south facing wall is a grape, but that needs regular pruning as does wisteria

Hi,
    Were you able to eat the passion fruits? The species I've seen growing locally are really squishy and dont look edible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

No they aren't very tasty. I think the edible ones are another variety. Mine was the bogstandard plant. I've different ones in the polytunnel. One has red flowers and another snow white. They are definitely not hardy. I think Aldi once did a variety of different passion flowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

homer911 wrote: »

:confused: Virginia Creeper is very vigorous he'll be pruning it a lot if he's to keep it within bounds, likewise Boston Ivy. Depending on what variety Clematis he goes for OP goes for it may only need a light or one hard prune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Try a red large leafed grape vine, can't think of the variety just yet, basically like a virginia but an ornamental grape, no fruits to speak of.

Or climbing Hydrangea.

Assuming the south facing wall is also sheltered and really warm why not try a giant flowered climbing magnolia thingy.

Oh and by the way, Wisetria prefer to be south-south west or even wester.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I have a similar issue.

The wall is North facing and additionally it has a terrace in the middle giving opportunity to plant something from above which would overhang.

Can someone recommend a plant or plants which would cover the wall from above and below?

Possible everygreen and broadleaf. Mix of colours would also be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

I have a similar issue.

The wall is North facing and additionally it has a terrace in the middle giving opportunity to plant something from above which would overhang.

Can someone recommend a plant or plants which would cover the wall from above and below?

Possible everygreen and broadleaf. Mix of colours would also be good.

Hydrangea Seemanii or Pyracantha are ok but i am not sure how well the hydrangea will cover the wall and it can grow out about 3/4 feet, the Pyracantha looks best trained along wires so may not give total cover both these are fine if it's a pretty wall. If its a block wall Ivies are great. Now before people jump down my throat you need to know that not all ivies are rampant, just like all ornamental grasses are not vicious self seeder, not all conifers are light blocking monsters etc etc.Fibrex Nurseries in the UK have a large selection and deliver here its worth looking at their site and giving them a call. Tell them your situation and what height you need covered and the aspect and they will help you out. Best to give them a call as some ivies only grow a few feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Hydrangea Seemanii or Pyracantha are ok but i am not sure how well the hydrangea will cover the wall and it can grow out about 3/4 feet, the Pyracantha looks best trained along wires so may not give total cover both these are fine if it's a pretty wall. If its a block wall Ivies are great. Now before people jump down my throat you need to know that not all ivies are rampant, just like all ornamental grasses are not vicious self seeder, not all conifers are light blocking monsters etc etc.Fibrex Nurseries in the UK have a large selection and deliver here its worth looking at their site and giving them a call. Tell them your situation and what height you need covered and the aspect and they will help you out. Best to give them a call as some ivies only grow a few feet.

Ivy seems to be a popular option. Theres not really issue with it blocking anything else as its north facing and at the end of the garder.
    Who would have thought there'd be some many ivys, http://www.fibrex.co.uk/hederas/, thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Loadsa wall climbers in aldi at the mo. Passion flower, virginia creapers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hi.

Ive got a 9 foot high 4-inch block at the back of my house backing onto a field. South Facing wall. At the moment its half covered in regular ivy. I want to get rid of the ivy and replace it with something else

Im thinking some Boston Ivy or Some Wisteria from root if I can get it.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? Should I go with these species or something else?
    Thanks!
    Boston Ivy looks lovely in autumn.

Advertisement