Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never registered to vote but got a polling card

• 30-09-2013 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the correct place but today I got a polling card in the post. The thing is I never registered to vote. Do I automatically get put on the register awhile after I turn 18?

I checked the register last month and I wasn't on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Somebody went to the trouble of putting you on the supplementary register. If it wasn't a member of your family then maybe it was someone who plans on impersonating you and voting on the day. Best defence is to go early yourself and vote or if you can't vote, write to the returning officer for your constituency, inform him/her that you were added to the register without your knowledge and that you will not be voting. You can find out who the returning officer is by phoning your local city or county hall.

Alternatively, ask a member of your family or household who does intend voting early to inform the presiding officer at the polling station that you do not intend to vote and that anyone who asks for a ballot paper in your name should be refused and the Garda in attendance informed.

However the two referendums on Friday next are hardly about issues for which someone would risk a convction for personation so it's a mystery as to why you're on the register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Who do you live with ?

Some local Authorities send people door to door to check the register. I can easily happen that whoever you live with ( parents, flatmate) was asked "Is there anyone living here who should be on the register ? " and gave your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I might be wrong here, but it can be related to having paid tax/ PRSI as well.

I'm pretty sure this was the case a few years back. I received one automatically because I had a part time job, but another sibling didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

coylemj wrote: »

Alternatively, ask a member of your family or household who does intend voting early to inform the presiding officer at the polling station that you do not intend to vote and that anyone who asks for a ballot paper in your name should be refused and the Garda in attendance informed.

Gardaí are no longer in attendance at polling stations; another victim of cutbacks in recent years. Unless they happen to pop in or if they are called to a polling station then it won't be possible to inform them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

most likely a political party.

Where I grew up they used to get the school roll books and add everyone who was 18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement