Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Scone and Coffee Dublin

Options
  • 30-09-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I love a coffee and scone when I'm out - prefer it to lunch or breakfast. But the variety and quality and price of this staple varies a lot. I'm starting to make a list of my latest tried and tested deals here. If you have some recommendations to make then please share!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Cakes & Bakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My favorites are Brother Hubbard on Capel Street for gorgeous fresh scones with orange blossom butter & a flat white (they only do one variety of scone so if you need sultanas or anything in them it's probably not the place for you).

Cup on Nassau Street, mixed berry scone & home made jam.

Coffee 2 Go on Baggot Street for an actual rainbow of scone varieties, including nutella.

None of these places do deals as such, you won't get scone-and-a-coffee-3-euro type things because they all bake in house and it's not Cuisine de France muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The place just up from the Pen Corner, name begins with a K, but escapes me just at the minute. Just off Dame Street.

The scones are good, but their muffins are LEGENDARY. Particularly the apple and cinnamon one. And good coffee as well.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The place just up from the Pen Corner, name begins with a K, but escapes me just at the minute. Just off Dame Street.

The scones are good, but their muffins are LEGENDARY. Particularly the apple and cinnamon one. And good coffee as well.

Keoghs?

keoghs2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I need to try this keoghs place :eek:

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I need to try this keoghs place :eek:

I've never had a scone there and judging by that photo I am a total eejit & need to wander by and sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Love Keogh's muffins, lovely and moist full of flavours ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The silk road cafe in the Chester Beatty museum. Gorgeous strong italian style coffee and mixed berry scones. Yumm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

+1 for Keoghs - although I've never actually tried the scones since I can't get past the muffins NYOMOMOM

Also Pepperpot in Powerscourt - great coffee and baked treats (although I very rarely have those either because I can't get past the sandwiches!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

My two favourite places for scones are:

Cafe Jago's, Powerscourt, D2 (near the Peppercanister)
    Busy Bean, Molesworth Street

Both do great fruit or berry scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

Keoghs is on Trinity Street just off Dame Street - the only place for scones and muffins. They do a great lunch menu as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

There is a little bakery/tea shop on Liffey st. It's the last shop on the row of little shops on the right if you're walking from Henry st. to the Haypenny bridge.

Tea/coffee and scone €1.95. I haven't tried the scones but everything else they do is nice. It's a nice little unpretenious bakery (even though it has cronuts) with some great offers. So I would think worth a try.

Just back from lunch there. Filled Ciabatta (decent but simple selection), cup of coffee (or tea/mineral) and a fresh cream bun/slice €4.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The silk road cafe in the Chester Beatty museum. Gorgeous strong italian style coffee and mixed berry scones. Yumm!

Got a duff scone in there last weekend, was still raw in the middle.

A lovely pot of tea, though, and the other scone was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

There is a little bakery/tea shop on Liffey st. It's the last shop on the row of little shops on the right if you're walking from Henry st. to the Haypenny bridge.

Tea/coffee and scone €1.95. I haven't tried the scones but everything else they do is nice. It's a nice little unpretenious bakery (even though it has cronuts) with some great offers. So I would think worth a try.

Just back from lunch there. Filled Ciabatta (decent but simple selection), cup of coffee (or tea/mineral) and a fresh cream bun/slice €4.95.
    What's the name of this place?

What's the name of this place?

I had to google it, all I could remeber was the small sign with traditional craft bakery. It is actually called the Traditional Craft Bakery. It's on Yelp! but the reviews are a little out of date. They have done up the interior, although it's all stools now.

Big cups of lavazza coffee too and friendly staff. Although you can be left waiting for a while but once your turn comes, you get friendly service, particularly from the younger baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

I had to google it, all I could remeber was the small sign with traditional craft bakery. It is actually called the Traditional Craft Bakery. It's on Yelp! but the reviews are a little out of date. They have done up the interior, although it's all stools now.

Big cups of lavazza coffee too and friendly staff. Although you can be left waiting for a while but once your turn comes, you get friendly service, particularly from the younger baker.

Would agree with you in that the Traditional Craft Bakery is great value and staff are lovely but it's definitely not the best scone in Dublin and its not a place you can relax in. They also use that pre packed jam too which is grand given the price but I prefer homemade jam with mine and an willing to pay. But if it's value your after, that bakery definitely wins.

For me, if I'm treating myself to a scone/coffee, KC peaches do a great cinnamon and apple scone and this wins hands down. I go to the one on Nassau street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

Inspire café in Glasnevin do lovely scones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

Inspire café at Glasnevein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I adore Keogh's. Very hard to pass by it without buying a scone or muffin (pear is my favourite).
    They used to make lovely enchiladas too, dunno whether they still do them.

• Advertisement

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I adore Keogh's. Very hard to pass by it without buying a scone or muffin (pear is my favourite).
    They used to make lovely enchiladas too, dunno whether they still do them.

I've called into Keoghs twice now since reading this thread and it is nice. The scones didn't blow me away, good selection, I got the mixed berry one first but was dissappointed when the berries only seemed to on the outside.

Second time I got cherry and almond but they used cherries that the only was I can describe them, is the pre prepared ones for baking rather than fresh chopped up cherries. It left the scone with an almost medicinal flavour.

Good coffee friendly staff and I definitely want to try some other stuff, baked potatoes and stuff looks delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

checked out keoghs over the weekend and found the scones a bit hard and crumbly. my favorite are the ones in coffee to go in mespil road. its fantastic in the morning as you can get them and they are still warm. very different in texture and in looks than the ones n keoghs so i think its a different scone mix

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Scones in Brother Hubbard are gone way downhill. They used to be fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I adore the Keogh's scones and they are my favourite by far but then I popped in to Bewleys on Grafton Street last week and had a mixed berry scone there and it was amazing!!! I don't know which one I prefer now.

Raisins wrote: »
    Scones in Brother Hubbard are gone way downhill. They used to be fresh.

I'm pretty sure they bake every morning, the last one I got was still warm going into the bag (about 2 weekends ago)

Advertisement