Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

So, another successful Harvest Festival has come and gone...even a casual observer would have to appreciate and admire the work of the organisers and volunteers who made it happen.
    My wife and I made a weekend of it, taking in as much as we could of the sights and events.
    One of the highlights for us was the two visists we paid on successive days to the Church of Ireland grounds. The members "on duty" there gave a warm and genuine greeting to us and the other visitors there, including the provision of tea or coffee. Living in Dunshaughlin ten years and it was the first time we've seen the inside of the church...quite interesting features. They also had leaflets explaining the historical significance of the site.

We went to the 11:30am Service on Sunday and that also proved to be interesting experience. It was a full house, so to speak, with about 120 in attendance.The Rector, if I'm giving her the correct title, made much use of props to illustrate her talk, revolving round Harvest time etc.

At one stage, for instance, she called upon seven teen-aged volunteers from the congregation, to stand alongside each other, facing the people, each holding up a cardboard or plastic tile with a letter which then spelled the word "HARVEST". She would then juxtapose the order that they were standing in so that different words would be shown, corresponding to the theme of her talk. So words like to HAVE enough, and God HATES to see people STARVE etc...very clever, I thought.

Anyway, three cheers to the organisers of the Festival, and here's to next year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Yep... would have to agree with you there.

Went over with the family on Saturday and it was good fun around the town and especially down near supervalu there. Missed out on the crowning of the harvest queen on the previous Saturday night in Peters bar... We would have attended if we knew info about it leading up to it! - that's my only gripe.

Its a well organized festival and a much needed boost to the village.

Well done to the organizers and we too are looking forward to it next year too.

Navan and Trim... take note, this is the proper way to run a festival.

Advertisement