Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids playing in the front garden?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

An update.

Things were quiet until Wednesday evening when they were running through again. I was getting ready to go for a run when I heard the bins that I put at one side being moved. I went outside to head off on my run and one of the girls was trying to lift the 4 inch block that I had put up against the bins from my side. She turned around and caught me staring at her. I politely said "Don't play in the garden please". She claims she was looking for her bike, inventive excuse I suppose. :D

Yesterday evening though they really took the p*ss, there was 4, maybe 5 running through at any one time. This time my girlfriend went out to them asking them to play in their own gardens instead, but it didn't work, at least not initially. After her coming out to them 3 or 4 times they left. I was surprised that they didn't seem to take much notice.

So after that we went to the local hardware shop to get a trellis fence, something like this but it was only about 7 quid link. I wanted to get a bigger, wider one but the girlfriend shot me down. Came back and found it was a bit narrow (in fairness I should have measured it up before-hand). Still I was able to tie one end with ropes onto the drainpipe and the other end around the tree there. It's not ideal, but I used 3 or four ropes at different levels so the only way through that side now is to break through it, climb over it, or get through the tangle of ropes.

We'll see what effect this has. The next step if this doesn't work is to go to the parents, annoying that speaking to the kids doesn't seemed to have really worked.

From experience, that really doesn't surprise me. I had a similar situation during the summer while I was studying for exams and nearly had a fuucking nervous breakdown! At best they'd sulk off for ten minutes then be back swinging from the trees again. Brats. I hope it all works out for you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks.

True, I guess I was under the naive impression that they were "good kids" and they would respect/fear adults.

I don't think they're necessary bad kids, just probably bloody spoiled kids used to getting things their own way.

It's not a huge deal, but quite annoying when you feel that you're losing your privacy and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Whats wrong with opening the window and letting a roar at them to get out of your garden when there are groups of them running around? Kids arent going to respond to being asked something politely, especially when its pretty clear they have no concept of boundaries in the first place. Pussyfooting around the issue is not going to make it go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

True, the girlfriend doesn't want me roaring at them though so I'm playing it her way for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think your girlfriend needs to realise that you can play nice or you can get the issue sorted, but by the sounds of it only one of those things will be happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement