Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD and Trinity: no smoking on campus proposal

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Heard this on the news this morning and am actually quite shocked tbh. I'm a smoker, but have only 1 maybe 2 a day while in work and only do so on my designated breaks. To leave campus for 1 cigarette and come back would take the guts of 15-20mins for me, even more for others.

Now don't get me wrong, yes I'm a smoker but I'm not Pro Smoking. I agreed with the smoking ban, I agree that it's an awful habit and unpleasant for others, but if you are a smoker and spend 9+hours a day in work, this new proposal is just ridiculous.

What are peoples thoughts?
    Link to article
    wrote:
    Meanwhile, at Belfield, the UCD health promotion committee has suggested that smoking should be banned on the 320-acre campus from October next year.
    UCD president Dr Hugh Brady is a strong supporter of the ban, and the UCD Students Union is holding a referendum on the issue this week.

Would you like to see a smoke free campus 122 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    43% 53 votes
    Not a ban, but designated areas only
    27% 33 votes
    Not bothered either way
    29% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As a non-smoker I could go either way. While I can recognise that it would hugely inconvenience people, it would also be nice to not have to go through clouds of smoke coming in and out of buildings, or be able to sit outside and eat without being in a smoking section.

What I would definitely like, though, is for people to stop smoking right under the no smoking signs outside the Arts building. Can we have a referendum on that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

A lot of major companies such as the big pharmaceutical companies are banning smoking on site.
    ie. no smoking inside the fence - not just the buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah the old place I worked at wouldn't allow smoking on the site. We got an hour for lunch and the smokers had to wolf down their food as it was a 10 minute walk to the gate and 10 minutes back. They'd go rain or shine, fecking madness. Anyway on the topic, no I don't think I'd support such a proposal. I'm a non smoker but this nanny state kind of proposal worries me. Maybe ban it within 30 feet of all building entrances or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'm a former smoker so I can see the argo for those who want a smoke to have to race outside of the campus, so I don't see why they can't designate a smoking area and just be done with it. When the bad weather really sets the front of Arts will be insane. If they bring this in, people will just start piling into cars and then we'll have a debate about what is allowed in a private motor vehicle etc.

This is probably in response to the lack of interest in the No Smoking outside of Arts. I've never seen anyone get fined or even told to smoke elsewhere. Even if they bring this ban in, how are they going to police a 320 acre campus when they can't manage a small area in front of a cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Vehicles are dangerous; bad for the environment and for health. Health Promotion Committee advises that all motorised vehicles be barred from campus.
    (semi-joke) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I also wonder what the Student Bar will have to say. I can't believe they'd expect people to drink and walk 10mins off campus and back to have a smoke. Complete joke!

I have ZERO problem with designated areas away from main entrances to buildings but an outright ban just makes me furious. Nanny state is right. I know how bad smoking is for me, but it's my choice at the end of the day. My employer pretty much forcing to make it as difficult as possible for me on a 320 acre (!!!) campus is mind boggling.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I also wonder what the Student Bar will have to say. I can't believe they'd expect people to drink and walk 10mins off campus and back to have a smoke. Complete joke!

I have ZERO problem with designated areas away from main entrances to buildings but an outright ban just makes me furious. Nanny state is right. I know how bad smoking is for me, but it's my choice at the end of the day. My employer pretty much forcing to make it as difficult as possible for me on a 320 acre (!!!) campus is mind boggling.

Why shouldn't an employer ban smoking on the work campus.
    Smokers run out for a "quick" smoke all day. This down time costs the employer money.
    Good move I'd say.
    As for UCD, I'd vote to ban it on campus (but I don't have a vote).

Why shouldn't an employer ban smoking on the work campus.
    Comparing UCD (372 acres) to Trinity (47 acres) for a start is ridiculous. This "buddying up" of the Health Squad from 2 main Universities is completely unfair on both staff and students in UCD. If a ban came in in Trinity, they only have to stroll outside the gates, UCD is a massive sprawling campus,where for many it would literally be impossible to go off campus and back in 15minutes. The idea that "employers can do whatever they want" is a flawed argument and heading in the direction of a dictatorship to be quite honest.
    wrote:
    Smokers run out for a "quick" smoke all day. This down time costs the employer money.
    What a massive generalisation. As I mentioned above, I smoke on my designated breaks, no more than that and pretty much everyone else I work with does also. I smoke away from the entrance and never throw butts on the ground. I'm as considerate as I can be for a smoker, surely my employer could treat me like a grown adult and respect my decision. They don't have to make it easy for me, but a respectful compromise surely could be reached.

Comparing UCD (372 acres) to Trinity (47 acres) for a start is ridiculous. This "buddying up" of the Health Squad from 2 main Universities is completely unfair on both staff and students in UCD. If a ban came in in Trinity, they only have to stroll outside the gates, UCD is a massive sprawling campus,where for many it would literally be impossible to go off campus and back in 15minutes. The idea that "employers can do whatever they want" is a flawed argument and heading in the direction of a dictatorship to be quite honest.

What a massive generalisation. As I mentioned above, I smoke on my designated breaks, no more than that and pretty much everyone else I work with does also. I smoke away from the entrance and never throw butts on the ground. I'm as considerate as I can be for a smoker, surely my employer could treat me like a grown adult and respect my decision. They don't have to make it easy for me, but a respectful compromise surely could be reached.

Why don't you respect your employers decision?
    You can continue to smoke, just not in the workplace (which includes all areas inside the front gate).

If it takes 10 mins to walk to the gate and 10 mins back then that's 20mins out of your lunch break.

Why don't you respect your employers decision?

Because it's not reasonable or even a compromise. That's why.
    wrote:
    If it takes 10 mins to walk to the gate and 10 mins back then that's 20mins out of your lunch break.

My break from the office is 15minutes in the afternoon as I've already mentioned a few times, so 20 is not feasible.

• Advertisement

Because it's not reasonable or even a compromise. That's why.

BooHoo - In your opinion that is!

My break from the office is 15minutes in the afternoon as I've already mentioned a few times, so 20 is not feasible.

What's the problem?
    Smoke after work so, when you leave the workplace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm a non smoker but this nanny state kind of proposal worries me. Maybe ban it within 30 feet of all building entrances or something.

Can't really call it a nanny State sort of proposal when it's not the State that's proposing it...

What's the problem?
    Smoke after work so, when you leave the workplace.

They could have the same policy with caffeinated drinks! :pac:
    Can't really call it a nanny State sort of proposal when it's not the State that's proposing it...

Well the Health Committee is in all likelihood paid by the state...
    Raphael wrote: »
    What I would definitely like, though, is for people to stop smoking right under the no smoking signs outside the Arts building. Can we have a referendum on that?

As a non-smoker I can empathise. Really there should be some shelter close to the block that would suit smokers without forcing people entering the building to go through smog.

I think it's good idea to promote smoking free areas.
    I'd like to see public parks included also.

I also think that it's a good idea to let the students vote on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I don't see the point. The main entrances to the college will be chocka-block with people smoking and people will constantly be coming to lectures late because they've had to leg it outside for a smoke. Not all of them will just forego the cigarette.

I'm not a smoker but I have no problem with other people smoking, once they're not blowing smoke in my face. Designated smoking areas are a good idea in theory but someone will have to monitor the whole campus to make sure the rules are being observed.

It's just not practical on such a large campus.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I don't see the point. The main entrances to the college will be chocka-block with people smoking and people will constantly be coming to lectures late because they've had to leg it outside for a smoke. Not all of them will just forego the cigarette.

I'm not a smoker but I have no problem with other people smoking, once they're not blowing smoke in my face. Designated smoking areas are a good idea in theory but someone will have to monitor the whole campus to make sure the rules are being observed.

It's just not practical on such a large campus.

No problems implementing it on huge pharmaceutical sites at present

But does UCD have the resources to do so? How would they even go about it?

I know 'certain' IT companies who fire employees if they install Linux, or own their own laptops, and have no problems implementing this rule. That's hardly strong grounds for advocating the adoption of such policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Huge difference between telling an employee they can't smoke on their work premises and telling a student not to smoke on campus. I think the best solution here is to create set areas where students can smoke (plastic shelters like they have on hospital grounds). If it's completely banned it will just turn into a similar situation to what happened in secondary schools, people will find some place that is out of sight and run there for a smoke. UCD doesn't have sufficient resources to keep all students from smoking on a campus of that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Its very nanny state, if we accept that smoking outside does almost no wider social harms

(A little bit of litter, an absolutely miniscule amount of "passive smoke" and a general aesthetic unpleasantness is the best I could come up with)

then the only reason they are bringing this in is because they know better than us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Can't see why they can't just have smoking shelters built a reasonable distance from buildings, wooden structures so they wouldn't even be an eyesore. The lack of cigarette bins is stupid at present, over in Newstead the front of the building is covered in cigarette butts because they haven't put something on the wall for butts. I know its inconsiderate of smoker's to throw them there but it wouldn't cost UCD a lot to install one and leave the place looking a lot cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So the referendum was passed, UCDSU is now in favour of the smoke free campus proposal. I am genuinely shocked, this could have fairly huge ramifications for the ability to make this happen.

Raphael wrote: »
    I am genuinely shocked

Perhaps the 9% turnout had something to do with it... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

If this does happen how can they enforce it ? There's not really a large security presence on campus and I doubt they can afford to take on more staff

haro124 wrote: »
    If this does happen how can they enforce it ? There's not really a large security presence on campus and I doubt they can afford to take on more staff

How is the smoking ban enforced indoors in UCD and nationally??

Generally it's self-policed if you ask me.

How is the smoking ban enforced indoors in UCD and nationally??

Generally it's self-policed if you ask me.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much self-policing outside the Arts building.

You wouldn't smoke in the library or at the pub, someone will spot it soon enough and tell you to stop. But there probably can't be staff monitoring all nooks and crannies of UCD's campus 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The staff still have to ratify the UCD vote don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they should have designated smoking areas....having a campus wide ban is a bit ridiculous. kind of related...they got rid of the smoking gazebo in portlaoise hospital, with no smoking inside the gates. Now you have patients in their dressing gowns out on the side of the road smoking. Its not the most pleasant sight, plus inconvenient for patients and staff (whether patients should be smoking at all is another debate).

they should have designated smoking areas....having a campus wide ban is a bit ridiculous. kind of related...they got rid of the smoking gazebo in portlaoise hospital, with no smoking inside the gates. Now you have patients in their dressing gowns out on the side of the road smoking. Its not the most pleasant sight, plus inconvenient for patients and staff (whether patients should be smoking at all is another debate).

You gotta luv that pic of patients in their dressing gowns and slippers smoking outside the hospitals. One hand holding the cigarette, the other wheeling the drip.

Smoking is bad for individuals and society in general and should be pushed as far to the fringes of society as is possible.

I would be all for Minister O'Reilly's proposal to eliminate smoking by 2025. Good policy - whether it's achievable is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

You gotta luv that pic of patients in their dressing gowns and slippers smoking outside the hospitals. One hand holding the cigarette, the other wheeling the drip.

Smoking is bad for individuals and society in general and should be pushed as far to the fringes of society as is possible.

I would be all for Minister O'Reilly's proposal to eliminate smoking by 2025. Good policy - whether it's achievable is another matter.

I dont think they'll ban cigarettes any time soon....the government must be making a fortune on them.
    I wonder what % goes to treating smoking related illnesses?

Advertisement