Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD and Trinity: no smoking on campus proposal

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I dont think they'll ban cigarettes any time soon....the government must be making a fortune on them.
    I wonder what % goes to treating smoking related illnesses?

200%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Raphael wrote: »
    So the referendum was passed, UCDSU is now in favour of the smoke free campus proposal. I am genuinely shocked, this could have fairly huge ramifications for the ability to make this happen.

When did the voting happen? I didn't even notice it taking place, any advertisement or even an email about it. Was I just oblivious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Maldesu wrote: »
    When did the voting happen? I didn't even notice it taking place, any advertisement or even an email about it. Was I just oblivious?

Tuesday and Wednesday, in the usual spots. Email went out last Thursday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Kiltennel wrote: »
    ... I think the best solution here is to create set areas where students can smoke (plastic shelters like they have on hospital grounds). ...
    Have you visited OLCH Crumlin or The Coombe Hospital recently?

At OLCH the main entrance is flanked by lines of visitors smoking. This is where ambulances arrive with sick children. Visitors sit on the granite steps drinking coffee etc and smoking leaving empty coffee cups and cigarette butts strewn all over the shop.

At the Coombe visitors and patients gather at the main entrance forcing non-smoking visitors and new admissions alike to run the smoke, stench, cigarette-butt gauntlet.

Unfortunately time and again smokers have proven themselves to be amongst the most inconsiderate and selfish groups of citizens we have. Let them smoke at home and ban all smoking in public, please, Jamsie, please and I won't mention what happened in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Seems I'm oblivious then. Ah well, I don't smoke so not an issue for me, but I've a few friends who'll be seriously f'ed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

How is the smoking ban enforced indoors in UCD and nationally??

Generally it's self-policed if you ask me.

Well it's national law, as opposed to some local rule.

Smokers outside arts block: we can be dicks in relation to the no smoking in front of the Arts Block
    UCD Health Committee: We can be even bigger dicks and ban you from the campus altogether!
    200%?

Possibly the single best piece of evidence ever produced that smokers have an impact on our health budget. :pac:

Smokng is bad for you, sure. I've had relatives die from smoking related diseases. If they hadn't smoked they may well have lived longer, and consequently cost the state; but as fatal diseases caused in part by smoking tend to be... fatal... it makes your strawman appear awfully flimsy.

Not that I see really what that has to do with UCD being less liberal.

Were the SU actually serious about having turnout be in double figures they would have votes online and tied to SIS and the admin database.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 reno123

Think we should clarify, The referendum was to state that UCDSU will support UCD Helath Committee's proposal and the campus is not smoke free just because of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Smokng is bad for you, sure. I've had relatives die from smoking related diseases. If they hadn't smoked they may well have lived longer, and consequently cost the state; but as fatal diseases caused in part by smoking tend to be... fatal... it makes your strawman appear awfully flimsy.

Not that I see really what that has to do with UCD being less liberal.

Were the SU actually serious about having turnout be in double figures they would have votes online and tied to SIS and the admin database.

The chronic diseases that smokers get are very expensive to treat though, costs that would exceed those of supporting someone in a (relatively) healthy old age.

Online voting would be a good way to improve turnout for SU referendums and the like.

Maybe the proposed outright ban is the only way to get the smokers away from immediately outside the buildings? If they're tucked away like naughty school kids they'll be out of sight and it'll be a 'win' for the health promotion committee. And, there'll be no second hand smoke or smoking litter at building entrances so it'll be a win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Non-smoker, I don't see the problem in good weather I'd go and sit on the grass with my sandwich I wouldn't sit around the entrances to the blocks. The campus is such a wide open space smoking is like homeopathy in that environment. If I walked past smokers into the buildings I would be pretty quick about it so it didn't bother me, I would usually tell my smoking pals that I'd see them inside. I can just see a secret society of smokers down by the secret lake with smoke clouds puffing above the trees :D What we should be concerned with, which every generation of UCD student should be concerned with is the continued theft of bicycles from the campus. Get your priorities straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Non-smoker, I don't see the problem in good weather I'd go and sit on the grass with my sandwich I wouldn't sit around the entrances to the blocks. The campus is such a wide open space smoking is like homeopathy in that environment. If I walked past smokers into the buildings I would be pretty quick about it so it didn't bother me, I would usually tell my smoking pals that I'd see them inside. I can just see a secret society of smokers down by the secret lake with smoke clouds puffing above the trees :D What we should be concerned with, which every generation of UCD student should be concerned with is the continued theft of bicycles from the campus. Get your priorities straight.

Bikes are stolen because people think locks that cost about €2 in the pound shop and could be cut with a nail scissors are good enough for a €200 bike.

Although the difficulty in finding a place to lock your bike is a pain in the hole sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

omicron wrote: »
    Bikes are stolen because people think locks that cost about €2 in the pound shop and could be cut with a nail scissors are good enough for a €200 bike.

Although the difficulty in finding a place to lock your bike is a pain in the hole sometimes.

Okay that's one point. Don't want to derail the current topic but the people who take the bikes from campus are very well organised they have transport and good cutting tools, to steal a bike from UCD you would have to come prepared, the campus is so vast. Some of the places bikes are racked provide ample cover for such nefarious individuals.

Advertisement