Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Purchasing New Car maybe Electric

124»

Comments

Because sometimes I want to go somewhere directly from work
    Or have plenty of range left over when I get home to go somewhere else immediately.

Its not about fitting my life around a car, its about fitting a car into my life :)

Fair enough, I'm not here to try convince the inconceivable.

As I said though no body is going to change to electric in mass numbers until petrol and diesel is unaffordable, and I can't see ICE cars ,petrol/diesel get unaffordable for many years as there are many people who spend 20-40 euro's on fuel and are quiet happy to do so as they can afford it. Most people say to me when I ask them if they would buy an electric the first thing they always say is why, I can still pay for fuel ? the 2nd thing is range and the 3rd is charging, most common are those questions in that order. There is a complete lack of interest in electrics because of the one big question, why should I ?

If people had to change they might be surprised at how the EV fits into their lives as you say, granted there would need to be changes made, but in general I think most people would find them suitable.

More range is always good, though there will have to come a point when 200 miles may be enough at motorway speeds as charging in 5 mins or less will need enormous amounts of power and charging at home will be tough on single phase. I still think faster charging more than 600 miles range is more necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Fair enough, I'm not here to try convince the inconceivable.

As I said though no body is going to change to electric in mass numbers until petrol and diesel is unaffordable, and I can't see ICE cars ,petrol/diesel get unaffordable for many years as there are many people who spend 20-40 euro's on fuel and are quiet happy to do so as they can afford it. Most people say to me when I ask them if they would buy an electric the first thing they always say is why, I can still pay for fuel ? the 2nd thing is range and the 3rd is charging, most common are those questions in that order. There is a complete lack of interest in electrics because of the one big question, why should I ?

If people had to change they might be surprised at how the EV fits into their lives as you say, granted there would need to be changes made, but in general I think most people would find them suitable.

More range is always good, though there will have to come a point when 200 miles may be enough at motorway speeds as charging in 5 mins or less will need enormous amounts of power and charging at home will be tough on single phase. I still think faster charging more than 600 miles range is more necessary.

Nah, I'm convinced, I just think at the moment for it to be comfortable i'd just want it as a city runaround and going to/from work if it was close by.

I'd get public transport for longer trips (Public Transport here is quite good)

It just doesn't really fit with my circumstances in its current form.

Nah, I'm convinced, I just think at the moment for it to be comfortable i'd just want it as a city runaround and going to/from work if it was close by.

I'd get public transport for longer trips (Public Transport here is quite good)

It just doesn't really fit with my circumstances in its current form.

You're in the Netherlands, right ?

Don't they have an excellent QC network there ?

You're in the Netherlands, right ?

Don't they have an excellent QC network there ?

Closest one to me is a McDonalds which is a fast charger.

But if you have an electric car on order or are thinking about getting one you can apply to have a charger installed in your area in cooperation with the City Hall.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eindhoven.nl%2Fartikelen%2FOplaadpaal-in-de-openbare-ruimte.htm

Theres around 2500 charging points in the country.

But if you have an electric car on order or are thinking about getting one you can apply to have a charger installed in your area in cooperation with the City Hall.

Theres around 2500 charging points in the country.

That's cool, how many are QC points though ?

• Advertisement

That's cool, how many are QC points though ?

Not that many:
    http://www.oplaadpalen.nl/link/W17201fffff000000ff/52.12/5.29/7

Am I reading it tight that it costs 4 Euro's per 10 mins charge or 8 Euro on others for a full quick charge ? Major rip off.

8 Euro's for say 60-70 miles range =56 Euro's for 490 miles. That's a lot, that would make the Prius on lpg much cheaper @ 80C/L

That's of course of I'm correct and that I'm not making a mistage with the language ?

Am I reading it tight that it costs 4 Euro's per 10 mins charge or 8 Euro on others for a full quick charge ? Major rip off.

8 Euro's for say 60-70 miles range =56 Euro's for 490 miles. That's a lot, that would make the Prius on lpg much cheaper @ 80C/L

That's of course of I'm correct and that I'm not making a mistage with the language ?

No, it depends on the Provider .. it was free up until last year in Amsterdam but now there are so many electric cars they had to start charging.

The New Motion Charge / minute.

Nuon charge 25cent / kwh which is actually not that bad as electricity is expensive in the Netherlands.

The New Motion says it costs 6.60 to fully charge a Leaf

No, it depends on the Provider .. it was free up until last year in Amsterdam but now there are so many electric cars they had to start charging.

The New Motion Charge / minute.

Nuon charge 25cent / kwh which is actually not that bad as electricity is expensive in the Netherlands.

The New Motion says it costs 6.60 to fully charge a Leaf

6.60 would be over 3 times what it costs per night charge here. That's a lot.

Though I guess the infrastructure has to be paid for and maintained.

If they charge here at least the going rate for electricity it wouldn't be so bad but if it ends up costing as much or even close to petrol or diesel if you add up all the miles then you remove most of the incentive to go electric in the first place.

Though for occasional use it wouldn't be so bad of 95% of your charging was at home on night rate.

6.60 would be over 3 times what it costs per night charge here. That's a lot.

Though I guess the infrastructure has to be paid for and maintained.

If they charge here at least the going rate for electricity it wouldn't be so bad but if it ends up costing as much or even close to petrol or diesel if you add up all the miles then you remove most of the incentive to go electric in the first place.

Though for occasional use it wouldn't be so bad of 95% of your charging was at home on night rate.

Yes .. but they load ICE very heavily over here, and on top of that for companies you can write off your tax against a full electric so your actually getting the car less than cost due to the tax you get back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 lafiamma09

Said I'd stick it here, might be of interest to some of you...

I'm happy about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

lafiamma09 wrote: »
    Said I'd stick it here, might be of interest to Mad_Lad and his merry brigade of followers
    fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lafiamma09

fyp

Fyp?

lafiamma09 wrote: »
    Said I'd stick it here, might be of interest to some of you...

Thanks, I had wondered if they eliminated the grant.

Anyone know about the charger installation grant ?

The electric grant and vrt exemption isn't going to break the bank anyway. Not for another few years maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 leckyjim

depending on your range, the renault ZOE might suit you. Me, I love the new BMW i3. It has a range extender that gives it up to 300km.

leckyjim wrote: »
    depending on your range, the renault ZOE might suit you. Me, I love the new BMW i3. It has a range extender that gives it up to 300km.

Yes, but it will be much more expensive then the highest spec Leaf.

The I3 with range extender will (NOT) qualify for 5 k grant or free charger and will be subject to vrt.

The Zoe is slow with a 14 second 0-100 kph is a no no for me. But it has a very unique charger. Max of 1 hr charge from completely empty from 99% of public chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Yes, but it will be much more expensive then the highest spec Leaf.

The I3 with range extender will (NOT) qualify for 5 k grant or free charger and will be subject to vrt.

The Zoe is slow with a 14 second 0-100 kph is a no no for me. But it has a very unique charger. Max of 1 hr charge from completely empty from 99% of public chargers.

Renault figures for Zoe 0-30 four seconds,enough torque for me.

reboot wrote: »
    Renault figures for Zoe 0-30 four seconds,enough torque for me.

It is but it falls off rather rapidly after 80 kph, But I'd need to drive it more to see if I could live with it, in reality no one accelerates using maximum power anyway and wouldn't reach 0-100 in probably under 12 seconds mostly in reality.

But it's nice to know you've power when you need it, for instance I don't know how Zoe would over take a car at 80-90 Kph.

I do know that on a back road it accelerated past a cyclist after a bad bend like a rocket. Was fun.

No matter what though, the Zoe's leccy motor is far superior to anything you'll ever find in a small car like the zoe and it would be light years ahead of the typically underpowered torque-less 60 HP petrols Renault normally throw into cars.

It is but it falls off rather rapidly after 80 kph, But I'd need to drive it more to see if I could live with it, in reality no one accelerates using maximum power anyway and wouldn't reach 0-100 in probably under 12 seconds mostly in reality.

But it's nice to know you've power when you need it, for instance I don't know how Zoe would over take a car at 80-90 Kph.

I do know that on a back road it accelerated past a cyclist after a bad bend like a rocket. Was fun.

No matter what though, the Zoe's leccy motor is far superior to anything you'll ever find in a small car like the zoe and it would be light years ahead of the typically underpowered torque-less 60 HP petrols Renault normally throw into cars.
    It does annoy me how ICE cars like the Clio and some Fords are now 3 cylinder,and tyres with less friction,and silly switch off at traffic lights and on again.All to do with range and MPG. I drove the new Clio last week around Belfast and an old guy told me "It wouldn't pull a Soldier off your Sister"

I believe the focus 3 cylinder is a good engine, personally they're not for me. I think the ICE has progressed to the point of perfection and going to 3 cylinders is going backwards imo.

Stop start if far less of an annoyance on a manual than on an automatic, on the prius it's perfect because the motor moves the car instantly and the ice is spinning by the time you need it, there is no delay.

It would answer the powers far better that to have cheaper petrol available and remove diesels from our streets if they actually want to improve air quality. Or better again insist that all car makers make lpg cars instead of diesels.

• Advertisement

I believe the focus 3 cylinder is a good engine, personally they're not for me. I think the ICE has progressed to the point of perfection and going to 3 cylinders is going backwards imo.

Stop start if far less of an annoyance on a manual than on an automatic, on the prius it's perfect because the motor moves the car instantly and the ice is spinning by the time you need it, there is no delay.

It would answer the powers far better that to have cheaper petrol available and remove diesels from our streets if they actually want to improve air quality. Or better again insist that all car makers make lpg cars instead of diesels.

Zoe torque 220Nm

220 Nm is pretty good, but you need to see the torque curve, electric motors have high torque from almost 0 rpm but drops off as rpm increases.

Lower powered electrics could probably do with a cvt gearbox.

Advertisement