Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Vista Not Connecting to New UPC Modem

Options
  • 30-09-2013 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. UPC changed my old modem to one of their own branded ones (manufactured by Technicolor). I have been able to connect my Mac and mobile devices to it, but I have an old laptop running Vista Basic that will not connect. There's a firefox message suggesting it might be a firewall problem, but I've added my browser to the list of approved programs. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what's going wrong. I haven't a clue when it comes to this stuff. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you are connecting the laptop using wireless connect using a cable and see if you can connect to the internet.

If the other devices connect using wireless then either the wireless details have not changed or you have entered the new security details.

Try removing the wireless connection on the Vista laptop and then reconnect using the routers wireless connection details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure Windows Vista is fully up to date by running Windows update. Earlier on Vista had issues with connecting via WPA/WPA2 but this has since been patched via an update. You can temporarily use an ethernet cable to get the updates prior to trying to reconnect it via wifi

Nick

Advertisement