Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEA Cup 2013/14

• 30-09-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭

I don't have this year's database to send an update to the leagues site yet, but the first result is in:
    Gorey 1.5 - 3.5 Naomh Barrog

Gorey has Manuel Gardenes (2061) on board 1, but Naomh Barrog seem to have more or less inverted their board order (entirely legally - they range from 1100s to unrated).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Gardenes aside, are Gorey weak enough then? Or was this a bit of a shock result?

I think their board 1 from last year has left; he was 1400. Naomh Barróg were tenth last year with a similar enough team to what you describe; Gorey might struggle, which I hadn't expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Airbender

I heard that Naomh Barróg have two ex Portmarnock players on this year's team. Both experienced and rated about 1200. So they must be better than they were last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

cdeb wrote: »
    Gardenes aside, are Gorey weak enough then? Or was this a bit of a shock result?

They fielded two 1300s, and a couple of 700-900 players. It's very hard to gauge the division this year - it seems unusually strong - but I'd normally expect a team like that to depend heavily on how good the bottom boards really are. If one of those two scores well, they could have a shot at promotion. Otherwise, probably mid-table. Naomh Barrog aren't strong on paper, but we'll know more in a few rounds.

I hope these 1300+ players are not from their Heidenfeld team, because if they are Naomh Barrog will be in breach of the League regulations. Their eight top-rated players can only be involved in the Heidenfeld matches.

I assume he's talking about Gorey.

Also, don't forget the 150 point rule only comes into affect once you get to 1350; any player under 1200 is deemed to be 1200, and can play ahead of a 1349.

• Advertisement

I assume he's talking about Gorey.
    Yes, I was talking about Gorey. The strongest players NB fielded were 1100s.

I see. Yes, Gorey have a couple of 1300s. Their lower boards may let them down, though.

Result:
    Rathmines A 1-4 Rathmines B

Both teams were comprised largely of 1100s.

Like last year, Rathmines B seems to be stronger than Rathmines A. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Naomh Barrog look to have made some very good additions this off season. The two new players that have come over from Portmarnock are both very solid experienced club players. They both could score very well this year. Their new board 5 is also probably better than his rating suggests - he won the U1200 section of last months City of Dublin.
    Gorey are spoilt to have a luxury of a 2100 on B1 in the BEA. It doesn't seem right and should result in a very large total on B1 this season. There B1 match with RT should have 2 hours on the clock and be played as though it is an Armstrong match.
    It will be interesting to see the scores from other matches come through over the next week or so. Skerries looked to have a lot of strong players when they were in the Bodley last year, whilst Ballinalsoe were very strong before Christmas last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Naomh Barrog look to have made some very good additions this off season. The two new players that have come over from Portmarnock are both very solid experienced club players.

They've lost their top scorer from last year's Heidenfeld to Elm Mount though.

The early scores from round 1 and 2 are very interesting and it looks as though the race for second In this years BEA will be very close.
    Skerries have 2 1600's and a 1500 but were beaten by Ballinasloe, whilst Gorey despite a 2000+ on B1 have had a slow start in their first two games.
    Round Towers are at a different level to the other teams, but there should be some close battles for second.
    Trinity should be strong in that they are able to play Rory Delaney as board 8 on their Armstrong team. There next strongest players should in theory be the core of their BEA team.
    Did anybody heat the result of Saturdays Ballbriggan Trinity match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

Dublin 1 - 4 Inchicore.

Inchicore 2 - 3 Balbriggan

Did anybody heat the result of Saturdays Ballbriggan Trinity match?

It's been given as a 5 - 0 walkover to Balbriggan.

Bray 1½ - 3½ Inchicore

Irish warrior,
    Did Bray say how they did in round 2 v Trinity?
    I think this win puts Inchicore top for now. The two big guns -Round Towers and Gorey are back in action tomorrow.

Irish warrior,
    Did Bray say how they did in round 2 v Trinity?
    I think this win puts Inchicore top for now. The two big guns -Round Towers and Gorey are back in action tomorrow.

It was our BEA captain that told me of our Bray result, I play on our Ennis team.

He said they never mentioned their Trinity match. He's going to ring their captain later and find out the result.

The Bray v Trinity game hasn't been played yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Echecs

Does anybody know if TCD are going to stay in this league? Because they've already conceded a walkover to Balbriggan and probably to Bray, as well. I wonder if they are going to travel to Ballinasloe tomorrow. It is a long journey. :)

• Advertisement

Trinity always start the leagues late because of the nature of their club - they just don't have the players for the first couple of rounds. They've rescheduled the Bray game at least, and presumably the Balbriggan one too.

Yes, this is always the case with their first team. I am not so sure about the second (the BEA one). They conceded a walkover to Balbriggan: http://www.leinsterchess.com/lcu1314/div5/match6.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SingleMalt

Saturday 9th
    Balbriggan 2 Naomh Barrog 3

Echecs wrote: »
    Does anybody know if TCD are going to stay in this league? Because they've already conceded a walkover to Balbriggan and probably to Bray, as well.

Their fourth round match vs Skerries was scheduled for yesterday. I wonder if it took place. Because if they didn't play any of their four first matches they could be expelled from the league. Or have they already withdrawn from it?

And having twice come third in the Bodley last season alone - grrr... :mad:

Bray were away to Trinity; anyone from Bray on here that'd know what happened then? A home game is one thing - the away team doesn't turn up - but for an away game, presumably you'd be in touch to work out what room is being used and what have you. They might know more.

Bray were away to Trinity; anyone from Bray on here that'd know what happened then?
    TCD asked Bray to postpone the game. I haven't heard yet of a refixed date for it.

At least they're alive anyway.

TCD also played the Skerries game. 4-1 to Skerries. Table as best I can make out*.
    Skerries		4	13
    Gorey			4	12.5
    Round Tower		3	11
    Rathmines B		3	10
    Balbriggan		3	10
    Naomh Barróg		4	10
    Inchicore		3	9.5
    Dublin			4	7.5
    Ballinasloe		2	4.5
    Bray/Greystones		3	4.5
    Rathmines A 		3	1.5
    Dublin University	2	1

*Some of these results aren't confirmed by both teams yet, and I'm not completely sure what the story is with Trinity's early games.

Dublin 3-2 Rathmines with a sneaky perpetual check sealing the win in the match. :)

• Advertisement

Dublin 3-2 Rathmines A, to be precise.

Echecs wrote: »
    Dublin 3-2 Rathmines A, to be precise.

Rathmines A 2-3 Dublin to be really precise! I was just snooping after finishing my Heidenfeld game, didn't know Rathmines had 2 BEA teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 prey

Bray 1-4 Rathmines B

Ciaran wrote: »
    Rathmines A 2-3 Dublin to be really precise! I was just snooping after finishing my Heidenfeld game, didn't know Rathmines had 2 BEA teams.
    Just on this - fair dues to Michael Fagan; still playing at the age of 21 and a little bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

We (Trinity) lost 5-0 to Round Tower. We had to forfeit 3 boards. I nearly pulled off a shock on board 1 against Monika Gedvilaite but blundered in the endgame. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gearoid MacGabhain

Balbriggan 2.5 Gorey 2.5
    Hard faught games on all boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 SingleMalt

Saturday 14th - Ballinasloe 2 Naomh Barrog 3

Inchicore 2 - 3 Round Tower

Rathmines B 2½-2½ Ballinasloe

Table, based on all results I have to date. Some of them I only have from one team, so I can't update the official table.
    1 	Round Tower 	6 	24
    2 	Skerries 	6 	20
    3 	Rathmines B 	6 	19.5
    4 	Ballinasloe 	6 	17.5
    5 	Gorey 		5 	15
    6 	Balbriggan 	5 	14.5
    7 	Naomh Barróg 	6 	14.5
    8 	Inchicore 	6 	14.5
    9 	Dublin 		5 	10.5
    10 	Rathmines A 	6 	8
    11 	Bray/Greystones 4 	5.5
    12 	Dublin Univers. 5 	1.5

After round 6, the BEA looks like this:
    1 	Round Tower 	6	24
    2 	Skerries 	6	20
    3 	Rathmines B 	6	19.5
    4 	Gorey 		6	18.5
    5 	Ballinasloe 	6	17.5
    6 	Balbriggan 	6	17.5
    7 	Naomh Barróg 	6	14.5
    8 	Inchicore 	6	14.5
    9 	Dublin 		6	12.5
    10 	Rathmines A 	6 	8
    11 	Bray/Greystones 5	7
    12 	Dublin Univers. 5 	1.5

(Note, where teams are level on points, I have not applied tie-break rules, so their order is random.)

• Advertisement

Dublin University (a.k.a. Trinity College) have withdrawn from the division. They have consistently struggled to get a full team out.

I expect their results to date will be annulled - good news for Skerries, who dropped a point to them. Rathmines A also dropped a half point to them they'll now get back. That could be critical in the battle to avoid the lone relegation slot.

This shouldn't alter the promotion situation for the Bodley.

Grrr... :mad:

Last I saw, Rathmines A were 2½-1½ up on Inchicore. No idea how the last game went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mojo Man

Any results from Naomh Barrog v Rathmines A? And Balbriggan v Skerries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ben Noah

Naomh Barrog 3-2 Rathmines-A

Rathmines B 2.5 - 2.5 Inchicore

Current table:
    Round Tower	9	33
    Skerries	9	28.5
    Gorey		9	27.5
    Rathmines B	9	24.5
    Balbriggan	9	22.5
    Inchicore	9	22
    Ballinasloe	8	21.5
    Naomh Barróg	9	20
    Dublin		10	18.5
    Rathmines A	9	14
    Bray/Greystones	8	13

The last round 10 match is this Saturday. The finals are then the following weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ben Noah

Naomh Barrog 3-2 Rathmines B

(played before the final day to facilitate players going to the Junior Tournament ... April 11th-13th)

Any results from Bray v Ballinasloe?

Can we hope that the BEA table on the Leinster Chess website gets updated before the last round on Sunday 13th?

• Advertisement
Advertisement