Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Time/being fcuked from the marathon might not allow it but I hear cycling tours are a great way to see Berlin.
    I'm hoping to do that at some stage but it may be the Monday. I'll play it by ear.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the segway tours also.

As regards the pub, The Oscar Wilde appears to be the place to go for the past few years so why change tradition?
    (Although I'm open to going anywhere as long as there ain't lots of walking to get to the bar!!:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

belcarra wrote: »
    Time/being fcuked from the marathon might not allow it but I hear cycling tours are a great way to see Berlin.
    I'm hoping to do that at some stage but it may be the Monday. I'll play it by ear.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the segway tours also.

As regards the pub, The Oscar Wilde appears to be the place to go for the past few years so why change tradition?
    (Although I'm open to going anywhere as long as there ain't lots of walking to get to the bar!!:))

the segway tour is meant to be great, i've left it in the capable hands of my sister who's going also, she lives in frankfurt. think it books up quickly though.

i checked out that pub, it's 23 min walk from MOtel One so that looks do able
    i might not finish the marathon but i'll be sure to make it over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

The Airbnb I've booked comes with a bike, so was planning on cycling about on the Monday to see the city.

We'll see if I'll actually be able to, though.

The Airbnb I've booked comes with a bike, so was planning on cycling about on the Monday to see the city.

We'll see if I'll actually be able to, though.

Only checked out airbnb after I'd booked the hotel, some very reasonable quirky places.

Place I've got seems nice and is quite central (also comes with two bikes). Quite cheap, a mate's coming over with me so it's €60 a night total for a 2 bed studio.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What time are you doing the Segway tour? I was planning on getting my final few miles in at the breakfast run on Saturday morning before heading to the Expo. Should be done & dusted with all that by 12pm at the latest. I'd be up for the Segway tour afterwards.
    I'll find out, no idea but I've planned on doing the breakfast run also.
    Get back to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

What time are you doing the Segway tour? I was planning on getting my final few miles in at the breakfast run on Saturday morning before heading to the Expo. Should be done & dusted with all that by 12pm at the latest. I'd be up for the Segway tour afterwards.

Can't the two faster young lads save themselves a few quid and borrow Statlers & Waldorfs mechanised wheelchairs instead :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Username|PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    loughie|3:01:26|2:59:12|
    FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:xx|
    yaboya1|3:08:26|2:59:59|
    withcheeseplease|3:17:29|3:08:00|
    jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:00
    PDCAT|3:36:14|3:29:59
    benedictine monk|3:42:xx|3:39:59|
    Murph_D|3:46:15|3:39:59|
    dwayneshintzy|3:48:09|3:39:59|
    belcarra|3:21:12|3:40:00|
    niamhpamela|4:02:56|3:59:59|
    jmcc99_98|4:04:35|3:59:59|
    Amateurrunner|4:18:00|3:59:59|
    Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55|
    Marthastew|3:12:51|3:09:59

Still hopeful that the next few weeks of hard work will have me in 3:09 shape, not quite as fast as I should have been at the Frank Duffy 10 Miler (68:54) but nonetheless I'm planning on chasing Jahaco around the streets of Berlin;)

Very best of luck to all for the last few weeks of hard work, it looks like we'll have lots of PBs to celebrate:)

I've run Berlin twice and both times we met at the Oscar Wilde, it's fairly central, serves fairly good bar food and rowdy marathon celebrating is encouraged:D

The inline skating race that takes place on the marathon route the evening before is great fun to watch and the city is buzzing. The expo gets very busy from lunchtime on Saturday so best to go Friday or early Saturday (we land early Sat and are heading straight to the expo)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Username|PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55
    FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:xx
    jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:00
    Marthastew|3:12:51|3:09:59
    PDCAT|3:36:14|3:29:59

Just tidying up around here. (xx=59). Oscar Wilde sounds good. (Especially as it's only 4 mins from my hotel.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Username|PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time|Bib No.
    Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55|
    FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:xx|
    jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:00|
    Marthastew|3:12:51|3:09:59|
    PDCAT|3:36:14|3:29:59|

Just to make us all available to track when the numbers become known ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

Is there many Berlin bound people doing the Tullamore Half this Saturday?

I see a few ran last weekend, well done on the Brilliant runs in Longford!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

I am running Tullamore Half. withCheeseplease is also running as far as I know. Anyone any idea what the course is like? Read last years and this years thread. 'Rolling hills', 'neg split course', 'not a PB course' but loads of grub afterwards. Hoping its a bit easier/faster than RocknRoll Half. Haven't really tapered for this one. Weather could play a part, looks like wind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

I ran it last yr. It is as you described. 2nd half is marginally easier but maybe this was due to a nice tailwind coming home.

super spread afterwards for sure.

here is a garmin read http:
    //connect.garmin.com/activity/369194460

Just 1 month (31 days) to go!

Countdown is on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What's the weather like??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Countdown can't start before your taper and I know there is no way you are tapering yet;)

Good luck to any "Berliners" racing this weekend.

Right we're doing the 3pm slot & it's for 2 hours, maybe check out availability, should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

Can I just check when people are starting to taper? We are planning on doing 18miles this Sat and then our second 20mile run next Saturday. So our taper starts 3 weeks before Berlin. Is this similar to everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Can I just check when people are starting to taper? We are planning on doing 18miles this Sat and then our second 20mile run next Saturday. So our taper starts 3 weeks before Berlin. Is this similar to everyone else?

I'm the last one you'd want to be taking advice from, but I've the Tullamore half this weekend and then I'll be doing my last long run (20 miles like yourself) next weekend and will start into a 3 week taper then too for what it's worth.

Is anyone else here staying in the Radisson Blu in Berlin the weekend of the marathon by the way?

Last tune-up tomorrow in Tullamore. Last long run next weekend, planning on getting 23 miles in. Then a gradual 3 week taper, reduce the length of runs and reduce intensity, with the last week just ticking over.

I'm staying in the Radisson Blu for the marathon.

• Advertisement

I am on P&D 55-70 which has a 3 week taper so mileage starts to reduce after next week.

I've a 20 mile run planned for Monday, then another the following Sunday, then I'll be tapering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

22 miles this sun, 22 the following, reducing to 16 then 12 the week before (I'm actually going to do 13.1 nice and slowly at the Race Series HM for that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niamhpamela

Sounds like everyone is backing up our 3 week plan - stop with the doubting, we're going to do great!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niamhpamela

Sounds like everyone is backing up our 3 week taper - stop with the doubting, we're going to do great!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I am on P&D 55-70 which has a 3 week taper so mileage starts to reduce after next week.

Same here. Next week looks very tough, but after that the intensity drops dramatically.
    I'm staying in a self-catering apartment which is 2.5 miles from the start line, but more importantly only 2 miles from The Oscar Wilde :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Mini dilemma, need advise...

I'm off work today with some kind of bug and just spent the last few minutes puking my guts up. I'm due to race the Tullamore half marathon tomorrow and was hoping to go as hard as I could. Trouble is I haven't been able to eat all day and what little bit I had in me has now been flushed away.

So, is there any point in me making the trip to Tullamore tomorrow or would I be better just skipping it and doing a long run with a bit of marathon pace tuning up mixed in myself on Sunday when I'm feeling more up to it?

I still really want to see what I'm able for in Tullamore, and I might be fine if I can stomach a bit of dinner this evening but it could go horribly wrong at the same time...

Feels like conferssion! :)

Listen to the body. See how the dinner goes, get an early night and see how you feel in the morning.......and say 3 hail mary's and our father :-)

loughie wrote: »
    Listen to the body. See how the dinner goes, get an early night and see how you feel in the morning.......and say 3 hail mary's and our father :-)

+1 and in the words of AMK "The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing". Get well soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

loughie wrote: »

I would actually say just commit to ditching the race right now. Even if you do feel 'better' after dinner or in the morning you won't be anywhere near 100% tomorrow. You'll either run a below par performance, make yourself worse or most likely both.

Advertisement