Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ok, the decision has had to be made and the babysitter (aka my mother coming up form Cork today especially to mind my daughter tomorrow cos my wife is away for the weekend) has been stood down so I'm going to have to miss this one. Bummer. But just as well it was this weekend and not in 4 weeks!

Best of luck tomorrow loughie and anyone doing it.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    ..and in the words of AMK "The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing".

Very, very true. Gotta keep the eyes on the prize and focus on getting through the next 4 weeks.

Still though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Is the U-Bahn a realistic way to get to the Tiergarten on the day? I would imagine it might be crowded. Hotel is only 2-3 km away so I'd imagine getting there on foot is more controllable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Is the U-Bahn a realistic way to get to the Tiergarten on the day? I would imagine it might be crowded. Hotel is only 2-3 km away so I'd imagine getting there on foot is more controllable?

Yeah, it's pretty reliable (it is Germany after all :pac:), but if you're only 2-3km away you're probably as well to make your own way there on foot. I'm about 4km from the start and will probably jog down.

loughie wrote: »
    1:21:02 for me today! Nicely setup for Berlin. Great race and setup. Some spread afterwards. Definitely one for the calendar.

Excelent running in Tullamore yesterday loughie! Looks like you're well prep'ed for the sub-3 in Berlin.

Going mad to have missed it. I was still in bits yesterday as it turns out and am only coming right today. Going to chance a bit of an LSR in a bit and see how that works out for me. Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Excelent running in Tullamore yesterday loughie! Looks like you're well prep'ed for the sub-3 in Berlin.

Great weekend in general. Race went really well, finished strong. All on track for Berlin. Got 16 in yesterday and then had to have my last beers before Berlin to celebrate after the wee matches at Croker yesterday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Hi all . Just checking in. My preparation for this is poor and I only decided to book flights and actually do it last week. I'll be running it to finish and as a "long run" in preparation for Dublin 4 weeks later. (yes I do appreciate that is not text book preparation!)
    Because of this I will do a two week mini taper with 20 miles 2 weeks out and 13 miles the week-end before.
    It will be all a bit weird as its the first marathon I will have ever done without a time goal....anyway we'll see how it goes I guess.

I havent done Berlin before and still havent got my head around all the logistics yet and am trying now to bring my self up to speed - did I read somewhere before that you are better off going straight to the EXPO from Berlin airport when you arrive , rather than going into the city and back out ?

Any of the experienced Berliners got any views on this ?

Good luck to everyone with the last hard week (or two).
    lex

Lex Luther wrote: »
    I havent done Berlin before and still havent got my head around all the logistics yet and am trying now to bring my self up to speed - did I read somewhere before that you are better off going straight to the EXPO from Berlin airport when you arrive , rather than going into the city and back out ?

The Expo takes place in Templehoff Airport. Although that's situated between Schoenfold and the City Centre, I'm not sure if it's more practical to go there first. Looking at the map, it appears you may have to change trains along the main line somewhere. If that's the case, it may be as well to drop your bags at your accommodation in the city first and then head back out to the Expo.
    When I ran Berlin in 2011, I was on the early Friday flight and got settled into my apartment first, before heading the the Expo that afternoon. It wasn't too busy then, but I don't know what the Saturday would be like.

Separate Rant: I've messed up this year by booking the afternoon flight without realising it was Ryder Cup weekend :mad:. That will seriously affect my viewing of the big event, but I'm hoping to still get to the Expo on the Friday so I can spend all day Saturday watching the golf (no Segway tour for me!). We'll also be in on time for the singles on Sunday, although it might be over as a contest by then.

The Expo is not that far out of the City Centre, so I suppose it's up to you what you want to do yourself. I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other tbh. Just don't leave it until the last minute on Saturday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Good luck to everyone with the last hard week (or two).
    lex

It depends when you arrive... We land early on Saturday morning and we'll jump in a cab to the expo and then get a cab to our hotel, we did this the last time we ran Berlin and it has worked well, the expo gets very, very busy on Saturday afternoon. I clearly remember thinking I was glad we were leaving last time we were there as there were poeple queuing to get in to the building.

Speaking of experienced Berliners... I was thinking it might be a good idea for the experienced Berliners to post a link to their race reports if they get a chance. It's always nice to have some light reading to catch up on during crazy-taper-time;)

here are my 2 reports, although I must warn you they are waffly and lacking in any technical details so they won't really be of any use to anyone.... but they'll help the time pass during taper

2011 I ran this as my 6th marathon, I hadn't yet really discovered the joys of a proper structured training plan (or rather I had discovered a plan, I hadn't really followed it too well), in fact I didn't even know my PB when I ran it;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056151924&page=26

2012 I ran this after a 7 week lay-off with an injury and I simply wanted to get around it....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=38

Marthastew wrote: »
    Speaking of experienced Berliners... I was thinking it might be a good idea for the experienced Berliners to post a link to their race reports if they get a chance

I think this could be the only race I ever ran that I didn't write a report for :(

I see in 2011 he was:
    my husband

but had been christened to his more recognisable name by 2012:
    Mr Stew

:D

• Advertisement

Probably a bit early to start planning this, but would people be on for meeting up for the breakfast run on the Saturday morning? Might be a good opportunity to meet up with a few people in advance and put faces to names. Might also be good to arrange a few pace groups for the big day if people were into that? Good few bunches of people with hopes of running similar times so it might be cool to buddy-up for that? And to talk post-race refreshments in The Oscar Wilde!

Great reports Marthastew. Interested to see you had a 3:40 target first time out, same as me. Would you reckon the congestion is the biggest obstacle for that time? Looks like the starting pen allocation might be a factor too?

(Mini toblerones? Recommended?) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

It depends when you arrive.. We land early on Saturday morning]

thanks ! I arrive at about 10.30am saturday morning on the first Aer Lingus flight so I'll probably do that so ....( presume the taxi isn' going to bankrupt me ?).

thanks for the reports ..very good idea !
    lex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

It depends when you arrive.. We land early on Saturday morning]

thanks ! I arrive at about 10.30am saturday morning on the first Aer Lingus flight so I'll probably do that so ....( presume the taxi isn' going to bankrupt me ?).

thanks for the reports ..very good idea !
    lex

We are on the same flight so maybe we can organise a bit of taxi pooling closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

I'm on the early Sat morning flight arriving at 10:30 too. Liked to get to expo early and sort that out. Open to taxi pooling...myself and OH.

Looks like the breakfast run is off so if ye're all on the Saturday morning flight :)

I'm arriving in on the early Friday morning flight so I think I'll get the expo out of the way then and get back to the hotel and put my feet up and watch some golf.

Anyone know how the start waves are allocated? I think I mentioned an expected finish time when I registered, is that all they go off or do they look for any kind of proof from a previous race?

Oh, and I remember with the Paris marathon you had to bring a signed form from your GP to say you were fit to run. I haven't spotted anything like that for Berlin so I'm guessing it's not required?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Oh, and I remember with the Paris marathon you had to bring a signed form from your GP to say you were fit to run. I haven't spotted anything like that for Berlin so I'm guessing it's not required?

Those forms are a very French thing and don't seem to be required in most other Countries. I did Düsseldorf in April and it wasn't required. I'm assuming it is the same for Berlin...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Anyone flying from Shannon on the Friday?

Flights out of Dublin were a mental place by the time I was booking, ended up being a good bit cheaper for me to fly from Shannon (even with the bus ticket to the airport).

I had originally planned to travel with my wife and infant daughter and booked for the 3 of us but it turns out I'll be going solo now so I'll be cancelling the other 2 flights. Probably a bit late to be offering now, but I wonder could I do a name change on one of the flights if anyone wanted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niamhpamela

I had originally planned to travel with my wife and infant daughter and booked for the 3 of us but it turns out I'll be going solo now so I'll be cancelling the other 2 flights. Probably a bit late to be offering now, but I wonder could I do a name change on one of the flights if anyone wanted it?

My brother was considering coming to support but the flights were too expensive. Name change is possible for €100 on aerlingus or €110 on ryanair. He'd be more than happy to pay that. Are you looking for the cost of the flight as well?

• Advertisement

Are you looking for the cost of the flight as well?

No, shur I wouldn't get that back anyway. Just as long as I was covered for any refund I'd have got from Aer Lingus otherwise, which I think is €60 for taxes. So if your brother wanted it for the cost of the name change (€100) + my tax refund covered (€60 I think, which I can double check) you have a deal!

Flight details are:

Flight EI0330 - Fri 26 Sep 2014
    Departs: Dublin-Terminal 2 (DUB) 07:10
    Arrives: Berlin (SXF) 10:25

Flight EI0331 - Mon 29 Sep 2014
    Departs: Berlin (SXF) 11:05
    Arrives: Dublin (DUB) 12:20

No, shur I wouldn't get that back anyway. Just as long as I was covered for any refund I'd have got from Aer Lingus otherwise, which I think is €60 for taxes. So if your brother wanted it for the cost of the name change (€100) + my tax refund covered (€60 I think, which I can double check) you have a deal!

Flight details are:

Thanks, I'll send those details on to him but I don't think the flights will suit cause that would mean 2 days off work. I'll get back to you asap.

Flight details are:

Do you have 2 flights to be cancelled or 1?

Do you have 2 flights to be cancelled or 1?

2, but one is for an infant under 2, so probably no good to him!

2, but one is for an infant under 2, so probably no good to him!

No. I've emailed him but that would be an extra day in Berlin on his own so I'm pretty sure it will be a no.

No worries. The offer stands for anyone else that might be interested. I'll leave it on the table until Friday anyway and if there's no interest I'll cancel then.

Probably a bit early to start planning this, but would people be on for meeting up for the breakfast run on the Saturday morning? Might be a good opportunity to meet up with a few people in advance and put faces to names. Might also be good to arrange a few pace groups for the big day if people were into that? Good few bunches of people with hopes of running similar times so it might be cool to buddy-up for that? And to talk post-race refreshments in The Oscar Wilde!

I'm on a Friday flight so will probably do the breakfast run - my target time says we won't be pacing each other anytime soon though!

I'm on a Friday flight so will probably do the breakfast run - my target time says we won't be pacing each other anytime soon though!

Ha, no worries. The easier the better for this anyway me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Mr Stew and I are also on that Aer Lingus flight and definitely open to car pooling, I think it was about €40 last year so should work out about a tenner a head. The expo is right beside an S-bahn stop and there are also plenty of taxis available so it's easy to get form there to hotels etc.

Great reports Marthastew. Interested to see you had a 3:40 target first time out, same as me. Would you reckon the congestion is the biggest obstacle for that time? Looks like the starting pen allocation might be a factor too?

(Mini toblerones? Recommended?) :)

I'd forgotten how yummy mini-toblerones are!

Starting pen definitely is a factor BUT only if you line up on the right hand side instead of the left hand side (at least it was the 2 years I ran it) There are barriers down through the middle of the start and for some reason the left hand side is much, much emptier. The second year I ran it we lined up on the left and there was so much room and we were over the start in no time at all. The water stations etc. do get congested and it is certainly a busy marathon.
    Another reason I may have missed my goal back then is because even though it was my 6th marathon I was still very much a novice, I was a major fan of the positive split (not that I knew it at the time) and I always started way too fast and hung on for dear life. You won't make any of those mistakes and you will BQ

• Advertisement

Bib No.|Username|PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    |loughie|3:01:26|2:59:12|
    |Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55|
    |FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:xx|
    |yaboya1|3:08:26|2:59:59|
    |withcheeseplease|3:17:29|3:08:00|
    |jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:00|
    |Marthastew|3:12:51|3:09:59|
    |PDCAT|3:36:14|3:29:59|
    |benedictine monk|3:42:xx|3:39:59|
    20820|Murph_D|3:46:15|3:39:59|
    |dwayneshintzy|3:48:09|3:39:59|
    |belcarra|3:21:12|3:40:00|
    |niamhpamela|4:02:56|3:59:59|
    |jmcc99_98|4:04:35|3:59:59|
    |Amateurrunner|4:18:00|3:59:59|

Bib numbers have been allocated here. Woo hoo!

Advertisement