Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

does anyone have any tips on meeting family afterwards, easy around the official areas or just chaos? I''m staying near hackescher markt.......just thinking may be easier to just meet them back there. cheers.

Official meeting area should be just fine, although it will help your family to be on the Reichstag side of finishing straight beforehand, to ensure easy passage to the family meeting area.
    Meeting area is split into alphabetical zones to make repatriation even easier.
    Good luck. Enjoy the free beer at the end. Berlin is a great city (but not great for food!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I didn't see any 3 hour pacers last year and it dosen't look like there's any this year either.
    A quick search of the interweb would suggest that pacemakers start at 3:30.
    Has anyone heard different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tick, tock, tick, tock........

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Jnealon wrote: »
    I didn't see any 3 hour pacers last year and it dosen't look like there's any this year either.

On the main site under "Info and Service" tab, FAQ, Race Day, Start

> Will you provide pacemakers?
    There will be pacemakers in every starting block. They will be carrying balloons and wearing yellow shirts with the words PACE 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15 or 4:30

[I can't include a URL...what's that about!? - new user restriction!]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Once again no pacer for my target time. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Jnealon wrote: »

There were 3 hour pacers last year, but they appeared to start from blocks A or B. I started in block D, so they had disappeared by the time I crossed the start line. It took me about 8 miles to catch them!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Anymore takers/interested parties in sharing a taxi from Airport straight to Expo following the 7:10am flight on Saturday morning?

Im looking for two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Anymore takers/interested parties in sharing a taxi from Airport straight to Expo following the 7:10am flight on Saturday morning?

Im looking for two people.

Hi,I'll definately be going direct, am travelling alone and would be very happy to share the taxi/ cost !
    Lex

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Hi,I'll definately be going direct, am travelling alone and would be very happy to share the taxi/ cost !
    Lex

Ok. Lex, as far as I can gather it is about €40 for a taxi, so works out around €10 per head. We need one more person.

Anybody???

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Me and OH would be interested in sharing taxi from airport to expo...... (i'll be wearing a bright orange boston marathon jacket and i'm short :) )

• Advertisement

Ok, so far we have:

jmcc99_98
    jmcc99_98 No.2
    Lex
    Loughie
    OH

We will probably need to get groups of four for the taxi.

So people please add their name if they are interested in a taxi share direct from Airport to the Expo on Saturday morning (7:10 Aer Lingus Flight from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

7.10 Aer lingus flight from Dublin, taxi from Schoënefeld to expo at Tempelhof

Ok, so far we have:

jmcc99_98
    jmcc99_98 No.2
    Lex
    Loughie
    OH
    Fbot
    Mrs Fbot
    Mr Stew
    Marthastew
    Clubmate who is also on the flight

Those of us who don't have Boston jackets could wear red roses;)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Marthastew wrote: »

Ok, so far we have:

jmcc99_98
    jmcc99_98 No.2
    Lex
    Loughie
    OH
    Fbot
    Mrs Fbot
    Mr Stew
    Marthastew

Just get the plane to taxi to the Expo en route to the arrivals gate!

Ok, so far we have:

jmcc99_98
    jmcc99_98 No.2
    Lex
    Loughie
    OH
    Fbot
    Mrs Fbot
    Mr Stew
    Marthastew

Ok, thats ten so far. I have no Boston Jacket but will be carrying an Amphibia Shoulder Bag and looking shifty. Can we all arrange to meet somewhere once off the flight?

Anyone on the 3:20pm Friday flight fancy doing the same? Belcarra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Boo to Eurosport. Boo.
    Not showing Berlin Marathon this year (although, it had become quite repetitive over the last few years).

yaboya1 wrote: »

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller............

He is on the earlier Aer Lingus flight on Friday.

Yep, count me in for a shared taxi.
    I'll have a +1.

Not sure about stopping off at the expo though as it could be very rushed seeing as we land at 6:35 and the Expo closes at 8pm.
    Maybe play it by ear and see what time we have when jumping in the taxi?

Anyone else on here doing the Breakfast run?
    There doesn't appear to be a formal policy for checking if you are entered in the marathon so is it easy for non-marathoners to join this brekkie run?

belcarra wrote: »
    Yep, count me in for a shared taxi.
    I'll have a +1.

Not sure about stopping off at the expo though as it could be very rushed seeing as we land at 6:35 and the Expo closes at 8pm.
    Maybe play it by ear and see what time we have when jumping in the taxi?

There doesn't appear to be a formal policy for checking if you are entered in the marathon so is it easy for non-marathoners to join this brekkie run?

I'm only on for the taxi once we're going to the Expo, otherwise I'll just get the train back to the City Centre, as it's cheaper and just as handy. From what I remember, you just show up for the Breakfast Run (similar to parkrun). They don't check anything. Maybe they assume that people not running in the marathon have better things to be doing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I'm on the Friday morning 07:10 flight, so I think I'm on my own on the bus into town?! :)
    belcarra wrote: »

Yeah, I reckon I'll do the breakfast run. Something to get me out of bed early so I might sleep that night before the marathon! Last I heard Murph_D and yaboya1 were talking about doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm on the Friday morning 07:10 flight, so I think I'm on my own on the bus into town?! :)

Yeah, I reckon I'll do the breakfast run. Something to get me out of bed early so I might sleep that night before the marathon! Last I heard Murph_D and yaboya1 were talking about doing it too.

Hi there,

I'm on that flight too, with my OH - you can share a taxi with us if you like.

Will do the breakfast run too, but maybe not all of it - I like to do about 2-3k the day before and it looks like it's 6k or so? Might jump in the middle.

I'm only on for the taxi once we're going to the Expo, otherwise I'll just get the train back to the City Centre, as it's cheaper and just as handy. From what I remember, you just show up for the Breakfast Run (similar to parkrun). They don't check anything. Maybe they assume that people not running in the marathon have better things to be doing??

Fair enough.
    Obviously you know the lay of the land and if you reckon we have enough time when we land to hop out at the Expo then I'll join you in that.
    Certainly prefer not to have to go on Saturday if I could avoid it.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm on that flight too, with my OH - you can share a taxi with us if you like.

Will do the breakfast run too, but maybe not all of it - I like to do about 2-3k the day before and it looks like it's 6k or so? Might jump in the middle.

Hey Murph_D, thanks for the offer but seeing as I'm so early I think I'll just get the train into the city as yaboya1 was saying as there's no real rush to get anywhere at that hour of the morning. I'm not even sure I'll be able to check into my hotel that early but I'd rather get my bag dropped anyway and head onto the expo then at my leisure before going back to the hotel and putting my feet up to watch the golf for the day :)

Turns out the expo doesn't open until 11am on Friday anyway. Opens at 8am on the Saturday...

Thursday, September 25th, 2014
    2 to 8 p.m.

Friday, September 26th, 2014
    11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Saturday, September 27th, 2014
    9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Has anyone any prior experience at spectating in Berlin. Is it easy to jump on a U-bahn / bike to get in a few good viewing points.

At the moment I'm thinking of spots at 1-2 km, around halfway and 41 -42 km. I imagine the finish area will be manic.

Anyone wearing any fetching outfits that I should keep an eye out for?

Yaboya of course will be easily recognisable as the only white bloke amongst all the kenyans. :D

Ferris B wrote: »
    Has anyone any prior experience at spectating in Berlin. Is it easy to jump on a U-bahn / bike to get in a few good viewing points.

At the moment I'm thinking of spots at 1-2 km, around halfway and 41 -42 km. I imagine the finish area will be manic.

Anyone wearing any fetching outfits that I should keep an eye out for?

Yaboya of course will be easily recognisable as the only white bloke amongst all the kenyans. :D

Berlin is a super marathon for spectators, the first year I ran it Mr Stew managed to see me 4 times without hopping on the U-bahn. The finishing stands were surprisingly easy for him to get into and I hadn't arranged to see him there but spotted him because he had a stick (actually from a tree in the Tiergarten:)) with balloons on it.
    I'm sure it will be tough for you spectating at a marathon you should have been running, it was so great to see you out supporting on Saturday and I'll be looking forward to seeing you on Sunday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Berlin is a super marathon for spectators, the first year I ran it Mr Stew managed to see me 4 times without hopping on the U-bahn. The finishing stands were surprisingly easy for him to get into because he had a stick

That helps.;)

http://vimeo.com/m/107012457

Didn't spot Yaboya in the Elites video;)

• Advertisement

http://vimeo.com/m/107012457

Didn't spot Yaboya in the Elites video;)

F*cking hell!
    If I run 2:30, it will seem like a failure :p

Advertisement