Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

FBOT - 3:00:59 - so close

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Christ it was tight for yaboya. Very hard luck for anyone to miss out by a minute.
    Must have been warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Murphd through 35k and still on 3:36 pace. His target is sub 3:40 so he is going very well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Looks like a tough enough day for MS seems to be on for 3:23 or so....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

MS 3:12:42 @ 40K. Heat really must be a factor people seem to be struggling in the last 10K

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lex Luther finished in 3:07! Must be tough been injured. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

PDCAT still on for 3:26 through 35k and jmcc 99_98 on 3:58 pace through 30k

ger664 wrote: »
    MS 3:12:42 @ 40K. Heat really must be a factor people seem to be struggling in the last 10K

I think she has just been running consistent 8 min/miles since she realised the PB was not on. Rumour has it MrStew was at 39k, so she might have stopped there for a minute ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Looking at this out my window and dreading at how im gonna walk to work. May have to join in.

Good luck to all Irish involved!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Murphd through 35k and still on 3:36 pace. His target is sub 3:40 so he is going very well!!

And still the same through 40k. Very consistent spilts!!

• Advertisement

3:36:17 for murph. BQ with 3:43 to spare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

3:36:17 for murph. BQ with 3:43 to spare!!

That is a brilliant result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats to all on some fantastic running, lots of PBs and BQs:D:D
    I think she has just been running consistent 8 min/miles since she realised the PB was not on. Rumour has it MrStew was at 39k, so she might have stopped there for a minute ;)

I did indeed stop to chat to Mr Stew:D He did the Stews proud; ran half, low HR, high fived all the way and is in super form:)

Me? Not so much;) I felt great for the first 5K (then again who doesn't in a marathon?:)) Not too bad at 10K but at half way I was feeling nauseous and HR sky high, dialled it back when I knew the PB was gone and I actually really enjoyed it up until I met Mr Stew and then there may have been a few tears:o After Half way I stopped taking gels etc and only sipped water so I guess my legs were empty at that stage. I was enjoying it again until 41K when I saw a man collapsed, ambulance with him and a defibrillator on. Naturally I got terribly upset passing, I really, really hope he survived, I can't stop thinking about him and his poor family. A young English guy who had passed me (I was passed by a lot of people;)) saw (or rather, heard) how upset I was and he came back and put his arm around me, ran with me for a bit and reassured me, I was so, so touched by his thoughtfulness.
    A sh*t run from me but a great day for the Stews nonetheless, since February of this year every day is a great day in our house:D

Highlight of the day was crossing over the start line with Mr Stew.
    Second highlight of the day was warming up with Shalane Flanagan! (Well obviously I didn't warm up with her but she was jogging by me as I warned up and Joe got a photo. It's such a pity she didn't get the US record)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

Feeling happy Ran 3:58:17 with my sister niamhpamela. Niamh did a great job at pacing us. The sun was shining so it was warmer than I expected but delighted that we reached our sub 4hr goal and new PBs 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niamhpamela

Feeling happy Ran 3:58:17 with my sister niamhpamela. Niamh did a great job at pacing us. The sun was shining so it was warmer than I expected but delighted that we reached our sub 4hr goal and new PBs 😊

That heat killed me, really needed my sis to motivate me towards the end. Still can't believe we actually hit our target!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Marthastew wrote: »
    A young English guy who had passed me (I was passed by a lot of people;)) saw (or rather, heard) how upset I was and he came back and put his arm around me, ran with me for a bit and reassured me, I was so, so touched by his thoughtfulness.

This restores my faith in human nature

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Amateurrunner

There are no stories of anyone passing away during the marathon yesterday which hopefully is good news for the man marthastew seen. I was really impressed by the number of doctors they had cycling around the course so lets hope he got prompt medical attention and is recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There are no stories of anyone passing away during the marathon yesterday which hopefully is good news for the man marthastew seen. I was really impressed by the number of doctors they had cycling around the course so lets hope he got prompt medical attention and is recovering.

A guy did collapse in a group not far behind me and about 10 mins later my mate passed by and they were performing cpr on the poor guy, doesn't sound good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    6504 |Terry049|3:08:27|2:52:00|2:59:30
    8361 |yaboya1|3:08:26|2:54:59|2:59:11
    18580|loughie|3:01:26| 2:59:12| 2:56:52
    |Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55| DNS
    19591 |FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:59|3:00:59
    8203|Caprica|2:56:08|2:59:59|3:00:31
    19688|mcwotever|3:10:50|3:06:00|3:04:40
    13171|withcheeseplease|3:17:29|3:08:00|2:59:58
    |jahaco|3:11:49| 3:09:00|
    2417|Marthastew|3:12:51|3:09:59|3:24:29
    21853|Lex Luther|2:59:38|sub 3:10|3:18:54
    27959|PDCAT|3:36:14| 3:29:59|3:26:57
    19676|Benny Bulben|3:25:08|3:35:00|3:25:00
    20759|benedictine monk|3:42:xx|3:39:59|3:59:14
    20820 |Murph_D|3:46:15|3:39:59|3:36:17
    20443|dwayneshintzy|3:48:09|3:39:59|3:52:32
    7903|belcarra|3:21:12|<4:00:00|3:59:52
    F5813 |niamhpamela|4:02:56|3:59:59|3:58:17
    19579|jmcc99_98|4:04:35|3:59:59|4:01:36
    F5811 |Amateurrunner|4:18:00|3:59:59|3:58:17

Bored this morning so thought I'd fill this in. Didn't get to meet everybody unfortunately. Some awesome performances in there with many of the targets well & truly smashed. Not one DNF either. Impressive for such a big group :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Great running from everyone! Congrats on the sub 3. I can only imagine the effort made by withcheeseplease as he was covering the last few miles. Must've been pure torture waiting for official confirmation of the sub 3. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    6504 |Terry049|3:08:27|2:52:00|2:59:30
    8361 |yaboya1|3:08:26|2:54:59|2:59:11
    18580|loughie|3:01:26| 2:59:12| 2:56:52
    |Ferris B|3:12:21|2:59:55| DNS
    19591 |FBOT01|3:13:16|2:59:59|3:00:59
    8203|Caprica|2:56:08|2:59:59|3:00:31
    19688|mcwotever|3:10:50|3:06:00|3:04:40
    13171|withcheeseplease|3:17:29|3:08:00|2:59:58
    |jahaco|3:11:49| 3:09:00|
    2417|Marthastew|3:12:51|3:09:59|3:24:29
    21853|Lex Luther|2:59:38|sub 3:10|3:18:54
    27959|PDCAT|3:36:14| 3:29:59|3:26:57
    19676|Benny Bulben|3:25:08|3:35:00|3:25:00
    20759|benedictine monk|3:42:xx|3:39:59|3:59:14
    20820 |Murph_D|3:46:15|3:39:59|3:36:17
    20443|dwayneshintzy|3:48:09|3:39:59|3:52:32
    7903|belcarra|3:21:12|<4:00:00|3:59:52
    F5813 |niamhpamela|4:02:56|3:59:59|3:58:17
    19579|jmcc99_98|4:04:35|3:59:59|4:01:36
    F5811 |Amateurrunner|4:18:00|3:59:59|3:58:17

Bored this morning so thought I'd fill this in. Didn't get to meet everybody unfortunately. Some awesome performances in there with many of the targets well & truly smashed. Not one DNF either. Impressive for such a big group :)

Well done everyone, interesting reading, tough luck to those who just missed their goal.
    I have read several times before that to break 3 you really should aim lower (if you're capable), as in sub 2:58. It's a handful of seconds per mile, but buys a bit of wiggle room - maybe something to consider.
    Obviously withcheese is either a serious sandbagger or just blows that theory out the window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Back home after a whirlwind visit to Berlin. Since 2010 I have had highs and lows trying to break 3 hours.... ran 3:01 last year in Dublin. Training went really well, more or less followed P+D 55 to 70. Picked up a few PBs during summer and felt ready to have a real crack again.
    Race went really well. Hit the halfway mark in 1:28:30 (quick pitstop in mile 10. Thought I might rue this but glad I did in the end!!). Mile 10 was 7:06. Irish lad started pacing with me from mile 12, his watch had crapped out on him. We kept together until about mile 23 and he kicked on (He finished 2:55). Started to feel things getting tough from mile 23 on. Felt like I was slowing but splits for last 3 miles were 6:47/6:53/6:55 so i was still moving. Really digging in for last 2 miles but knew if I could keep moving I was home well under 3. Great feeling running under Brandenburg Gate and onto finishing stretch, overcome as I crossed the line.....finally i had done it!! Neg split by a few seconds (pit stop :rolleyes:)

Great to meet up with all the boardsies after the race and later that night. Well done all.....until we meet again .....DCM14!!

My race report is here

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Yaboya 2:59:11

got home in 2:59:10 so I must have been sweating on you yaboya! well done - we seem to have had a very similar journey...put some in the bank early on and held on for dear life in the last 10K!

I nearly gave up twice. I found the heat (more the humidity probably) very hard on me because I sweat a lot. I couldn't drink enough and I wasn't absorbing the carbs either. I was pretty much tanked at 38K. Was slowing and when I tried to press the gas and got no result - that was when I panicked a bit.

I took a risk and stopped completely at the 38- and 40K-ish water stations and downed 3 cups at each. It was risky drinking that much in one go I think but if I couldn't absorb the water I was done anyway - so de-hydrated by then. The 3 hour pacer passed me somewhere in the last 4 K while this was going on but the water stops paid off and I was able to re-take him and beat the clock.

Fantastic feeling. Well done to all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Big thanks to all the boards Berliners for making my weekend so enjoyable and congratulations all round on super running achievements. 2 weeks ago I was determined not to go to Berlin as I couldn't run, but having gone now, I can tell you, I had a ball being part of the support crew (my OH was a bit concerned for my HR though due the excitement) and had super craic helping you with your celebrations. Well done all.

ice9 wrote: »
    got home in 2:59:10 so I must have been sweating on you yaboya! well done - we seem to have had a very similar journey...put some in the bank early on and held on for dear life in the last 10K!

I nearly gave up twice. I found the heat (more the humidity probably) very hard on me because I sweat a lot. I couldn't drink enough and I wasn't absorbing the carbs either. I was pretty much tanked at 38K. Was slowing and when I tried to press the gas and got no result - that was when I panicked a bit.

I took a risk and stopped completely at the 38- and 40K-ish water stations and downed 3 cups at each. It was risky drinking that much in one go I think but if I couldn't absorb the water I was done anyway - so de-hydrated by then. The 3 hour pacer passed me somewhere in the last 4 K while this was going on but the water stops paid off and I was able to re-take him and beat the clock.

Fantastic feeling. Well done to all !!!

Is that you in my finish line photo in the green top with the Ireland flag?

EDIT: Well done yourself. 2:59:10? B*stard! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Ferris B wrote: »
    Big thanks to all the boards Berliners for making my weekend so enjoyable and congratulations all round on super running achievements. 2 weeks ago I was determined not to go to Berlin as I couldn't run, but having gone now, I can tell you, I had a ball being part of the support crew (my OH was a bit concerned for my HR though due the excitement) and had super craic helping you with your celebrations. Well done all.

Nice to meet you and L , Ferris B , even if it was on a cycle tour of Berlin! Not what either of us originally intended for Berlin. Myself and my oh had good fun cheering on anyone remotely Irish looking at the 22k and 37k sections. The Donore vests in particular were out in force. A special mention to PDCAT who ran a v impressive PB the day after the Cats edged out Tipp. I've never seen so many people in a pub , watching an All Ireland final, drinking so little....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

ice9 wrote: »
    The 3 hour pacer passed me somewhere in the last 4 K

That 3 hour pacer was a lunatic. I had fully intended to head off with that pace group but a mile or 2 in I realised he was a liability and left him at it. He was speeding up and slowing down and swerving around the road so I figured I was better off without him and the congestion he was bringing with him. I had been speaking to FBOT01 in the start pen before we headed off and he mentioned he was going to run his own race at his own pacing without sticking with a pacer so I knew if I could keep the 3 hour pacer and all his madness behind me and FBOT01 somewhere ahead of me in my eye-line I'd be doing ok.

I ran this way for a while and started to feel a bit guilty as I was blatantly starting to use FBOT01 as my own personal pacer without him realising but I didn't want to rock up beside him and join him cos I wanted to leave him at his own thing and I also didn't want to put that pressure on myself cos I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to hold his pace. Originally I had wanted to aim for a sub-3 in Berlin but really started to doubt myself early on (as in back in June) and said I should just aim for under 3:10 and arbitrarily picked a time of 3:08 based solely on thinking I should easily be able to do 7:10 minute miles. I had hoped I could revise my time down again at some point but between never getting an opportunity do run a pacing race and then picking up a few niggles and also flat out starting to doubt my whole approach to training I didn't feel I had it in me. That and I thought thinking I could take such a big chunk off my previous PB of 3:17:29 must be madness. Especially when I saw the table on this thread me with the biggest planned jump in improvement. I started to feel like a bit of a dope even thinking I could do sub-3. Self-doubt is a terrible thing!!

Anyway, as the race was going on I was really feeling comfortable but I knew that I should be and that it was how I was feeling at miles 20 and beyond was all that mattered. When I crossed the halfway point at 1:29:09 I was delighted - it was a new half marathon PB! Like I said, I didn't get to run any pacing races so my previous half PB was in the 1:34s from a year or 2 earlier. So if nothing else I had picked up a new half marathon PB for myself, regardless of how the rest of the day went.

I remembered from doing the Paris marathon the previous year that I pretty much ran the first 22 miles or so with a smile on my face well inside my target time but the wheels came off from there on in. Badly. So I was fully prepared for the same again in Berlin, but I would just keep on pushing on for as long as I could and deal with whatever came when it did. Up until about mile 18 I was still 100% enjoying myself, high-fiving kids, taking it all in. Every so often I'd check to see if I could still see the orange top and head-buff (now being work as a scarf) of FBOT01 and sure enough he was always somewhere there. He was my comfort blanket, in a non-creepy way :)

At around 36K I realised I was closing in on FBOT01 and a check of my garmin told me I was still running to pace so I gave him a little shout and he told me to carry on past. I think what actually happened though was a combination of FBOT01 starting to ease up a little and my garmin lying to me, as I ran that KM in 3:29 - a whopping 45 seconds faster than I was supposed to. I'm still not sure what happened there. But those seconds I put in the bank either saved me later or were the reason for my near downfall, I'm still not sure which!!

For the next few miles I was still back on pace and I remember feeling very positive. With 4 miles to go I remember thinking that even if I slowed up a bit and lost a minute a mile I was still on for under 3:05 and would have been delighted with that. But I promised myself I'd push on see how long more I could stick the sub-3 pace...

With 2 miles to go I really started to suffer. It was around this point too that the previously mentioned lunatic 3 hour pacer went by me. I started to fear I was being dropped and suddenly didn't want to settle for anything less than giving it absolutely everything I had to go under 3. I figured I had got to the point of being so close and wasn't sure when I'd ever be in such a position again (I thought back to this thread and the table and loughie's 3 times being around 3:01) and didn't want to miss my chance. Whereas up to now I had been trying to keep FBOT01 in my sights I now had a new target - that 3 hour pacer I had grown to irrationally hate so much and his taunting red balloon.

For what seemed like corner after corner I wormed my way around the streets of Berlin, desperately hoping to catch sight of the Brandenburg Gate. It just never seemed to come. I knew I could no longer count on my garmin to tell me how much I had left (if finished up telling me I had run 26.6 miles) so I just had to keep pushing on in the hope of making it on time. I figured as long as I tried to keep my watch pace close enough to my target as I could and not let the red balloon get too far ahead I might make it. Just.

Eventually I turned a corner and saw a big blue arch. Was that the finish?? It couldn't be, I couldn't see the Brandenburg Gate yet. Had they moved the finish to before the gate? How did I not know that? Or was the finish beyond that? Why would they put that there so close to the finish as if to tease you??!!! But just beyond I was able to make out the Brandenburg Gate and knew I must be close. I made it through the poxy random blue arch and the Brandenburg Gate was tantalisingly close but I knew from talking to a friend who had previously done Berlin that there was another drag beyond this to the finish and not to think you're done yet so I had to keep pushing on. It's funny talking to some of the others (I think it was loughie) who spoke of how beautiful it was approaching the Brandenburg Gate and seeing the sun shine through it and the finish just beyond and the noise from the crowd and what an amazing feeling it was. I was in hell. I didn't notice any of that. All I could see was that red balloon and a ticking clock.

I made it through and could finally clearly see the finish line and took one last look at my watch. And then another. And another. I felt helpless. All I could do was keep moving - there was no way I had any kind of spring left in me at this point - and hope I'd make it on time. And I did. Just. With 2 seconds to spare.

2:59:58

I could so easily have been 2 seconds the other side of 3 hours. And I'd have been gutted. But I wasn't. The relief. The elation.

I had severe doubts going into the marathon and was really disappointed in myself for not being better prepared. I had promised myself I'd have months of pilates done in the months leading up to September. I'd be doing a regular spinning class or a turbo session on my bike at least once a week. There'd be strength and conditioning. I go do a Vo2 max test. I'd nail down a proper training plan and stick religiously to it. I'd do a whole series of races to pace myself at good intervals as I went along.

I had done none of that was p!ssed off with myself. In the end I concocted my own training plan on the fly as I went along based on a 3 runs a week programme I had found that had worked out for me in the 3 previous marathons I had done.

I honestly thought I 99% wouldn't be able for a sub-3. But I told myself as long as there was even a 1% chance I might manage it I'd have to give it a go. Between fearing a niggle and doubting my training I wasn't sure if I'd make it, but I told myself I'd rather try and fail than settle on pacing for a conservative time and finish feeling fresh and wonder what could have been. I'm just so relieved and happy now that I decided to go for it. Obviously!

Another thing that made the weekend though was meeting up with the boards peeps. It was great to put faces to the usernames and spend time hanging out. I also can't help but feel I owe FBOT01 massively for my sub-3, even if he missed out on his own by the slimmest of margins, but I'm sure that won't make him feel any better. Not only that but I told him I owed him a pint and he somehow managed to pay my bar-tab later in the night, so I'm extra in his debt! :)

This started as a little post and has morphed into a bit of a race report so I'm going to leave it there! For those of you running DCM I'll hopefully see ye there. And to the rest of you, it was a genuine pleasure meeting you all in Berlin.

Great read G.
    You're right about that pacer. He was a nutcase. He sprinted by me like Usain Bolt between 40-41k and then I passed him 200m later as he slowed back down. I reckon he ruined anyone's race who was relying on him pacing them to sub 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great read G.
    You're right about that pacer. He was a nutcase. He sprinted by me like Usain Bolt between 40-41k and then I passed him 200m later as he slowed back down. I reckon he ruined anyone's race who was relying on him pacing them to sub 3.
    I'm glad I am not the only one who thought the pacer was a header, he was all over the place

Advertisement