Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Just finished reading everyone's race reports.Some fantastic results in there,fair play to ye,superb running.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Just been offered a place in DCM and I'm wondering if any of ye might have advice on whether it is wise or not. I felt fine physically after Berlin and have rented completely since. In hindsight I didn't get to the start line for Berlin in ideal shape. I think the travel the day before and little sleep on Friday and Saturday night didn't help.

Would anyone have any advice for me on whether I should attempt DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Just been offered a place in DCM and I'm wondering if any of ye might have advice on whether it is wise or not. I felt fine physically after Berlin and have rented completely since. In hindsight I didn't get to the start line for Berlin in ideal shape. I think the travel the day before and little sleep on Friday and Saturday night didn't help.

Would anyone have any advice for me on whether I should attempt DCM?

the rule of thumb I've read is that you should not race for 1 day of every mile of your last race. So 26 days from Berlin before doing any kind of race and that means that DCM is potentially ok even as a race on that basis. Of course if you don't intend to "race" it means it's even more sane to consider joining in!

Based on the rule of thumb above, factoring in how well trained you were before Berlin, and how you are recovering compared to previous attempts I would say that it is not a bad idea at all. Just ensure you honestly gauge your capability on the day.

I'm no authority on this & have no personal experience of running multiple marathons but I have now completed 4 in 2.5 years and my recovery is better each time & to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak) I signed up for DCM on Oct 1st! :-) I won't know what pace to attempt until nearer the day though.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Is that you in my finish line photo in the green top with the Ireland flag?

EDIT: Well done yourself. 2:59:10? B*stard! :p

Cheers! yeah I'd say so (not sure how to check your photos!). Very luminous green T-Shirt and a small Irish flag sewn on - did that myself and you'd know coz it was awful crooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ice9 wrote: »
    Cheers! yeah I'd say so (not sure how to check your photos!). Very luminous green T-Shirt and a small Irish flag sewn on - did that myself and you'd know coz it was awful crooked!

That's you so. I took a screenshot of my finish line video:
    10268497_768124129915619_213986044462822539_n.jpg?oh=e6222420382853fcb0e065cc6917e57b&oe=548A5869&__gda__=1421466425_1f2d587eee4f6bd380c560d448dbc184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    Nice to meet you and L , Ferris B , even if it was on a cycle tour of Berlin! Not what either of us originally intended for Berlin. Myself and my oh had good fun cheering on anyone remotely Irish looking at the 22k and 37k sections. The Donore vests in particular were out in force. A special mention to PDCAT who ran a v impressive PB the day after the Cats edged out Tipp. I've never seen so many people in a pub , watching an All Ireland final, drinking so little....

Cheers Sharkey47, nice meeting you and your wife over the weekend. Best of luck with your recovery and might meet you at the stook 10 mile in november.

For anyone interested - here's a link to my run in Berlin.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032754&page=50

That's you so. I took a screenshot of my finish line video:

Yep. Fecked but happy and saying well done to everyone around me!! I know the pain of that last 8K was chronic but I'm so glad I can't actually remember it. If I could I'd likely hang up the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Applications for 2015 open next week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

GFA entry for the first time in Berlin this time 'round

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

happygoose wrote: »

Thanks god. It was pure silly having only a lottery.

1223 men under 3hrs in 2014 Berlin
    1419 men under 3hrs in 2014 London

We all know that berlin is slightly faster so really a GFA entry is a great idea.

Where did you read that btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

happygoose wrote: »

Where are you seeing this?

Edit, just spotted it now, Very strict GFA!!

Fast Runners
    Anyone who finished an AIMS*-certified marathon in the last two years (2013/2014) under a specified time and can prove it with a list of results or race certificate qualifies to receive a starting spot and does not have to register for the entry drawing.

Male Runners:
    Under 2:45 hours
    Age 45 and up: under 2:55 hours

Female runners:
    Under 3:00 hours
    Age 45 and up: under 3:20 hours

The entry drawing procedure does not apply to wheelchair athletes, hand cyclists or skaters.

*AIMS Association of Marathon and Distance Races. Founded in the early 1980s, membership in this international organisation guarantees that the courses are measured accurately. The IAAF also uses the measuring procedure that AIMS standardised to measure its road races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sub 2:45! Jasis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

So the entry drawing deadline is November 2nd, better get the skates on.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

blockic wrote: »
    Sub 2:45! Jasis!

Sandbagger - surely that's your spring marathon target??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blamon

Anyone know if there will be a second lottery like 2014. Because they are looking for our bank details straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

If I am getting this correct, they are taking bank details and if you are successful they will automatically debit your account. There is no option of cancellation.
    So, no point in applying more than once, like last year, as you could end up having multiple entries which you will automatically pay for and have no option of transfer or refund.

Just applied now anyways!

Cheers makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

belcarra wrote: »
    If I am getting this correct, they are taking bank details and if you are successful they will automatically debit your account. There is no option of cancellation.
    So, no point in applying more than once, like last year, as you could end up having multiple entries which you will automatically pay for and have no option of transfer or refund.

They do the same in New York. I was going to apply 4/5 times for that last December, but didn't fancy being landed with a $1,500 bill in the unlikely event that all my entries were successful.
    I suppose it stops that type of skullduggery?

Yeah, I had great plans to create about 10 new gmail accounts for the draw but pointless now!

Hopefully it will stop everyone doing exactly that and we'll all get in..I didn't get either draw last year but was lucky enough that a Berlin based Kids charity gave back 1000 spots. We had to pay an extra €50 I think which went to the charity which I didn't mind unfortunately it was February and the air fares had gone up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I had one of those charity places too. They've already announced there will be 1,000 extra places released next spring. This year they reopened registration again a few weeks before the race so there have obviously been a few problems getting the numbers right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

So are the chances fairly slim of getting an entry then?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

1000 Berlin spots up for grabs.. got 1..

https://portal.mikatiming.de/event/scc-events/marathon/2015/en/

Be quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

SnailsPace wrote: »
    1000 Berlin spots up for grabs.. got 1..

https://portal.mikatiming.de/event/scc-events/marathon/2015/en/

Be quick..

Just entered and got confirmation ! Many thanks snailspace !
    Lex

Just got the OH in also. And possibly VaderMLK too.
    Cheers SP!

By the way, Ireland will be playing Romania in the RWC that afternoon - Looking forward to it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Got in also!!! Delighted with myself

It was still open @ 13.00

Anyone thought of what half marathon to do before Berlin. . I did the rock n roll last year it's not a great course. .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tullamore may be a good one to do, it's about a month out from Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

You could consider the Athlone flatline half marathon. It's on Saturday 12th September and as the title suggests it's flat so similar to the Berlin course. I used it as my final race prior to Berlin last year and then tapered for the two weeks after that. I know some would find that a bit close for a race but it works well for my training plans, I knew exactly where I stood as I entered my taper.

Race website
    http://athlonehalfmarathon.com/

Race thread on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89004693

If you fancy going abroad on the 13th of September is the Bristol half marathon, I have done it in twice and it's a race I enjoyed and where I got my PB in 2010. A bit hilly toward the finish in the city centre, one or two tough drags.

Race website
    http://www.runbristol.com/Events/Bristol-half-marathon

• Advertisement

Time to reawaken this thread!

Just been thinking about the question of a HM before Berlin myself.
    Looking like Longford at the end of August could be the most suitable.
    Plan would be to race it and then throw in my last 35k+ run the following weekend before beginning to taper.
    At this moment the goal would be to aim for sub 90 which would leave me in a great position for the big day a month later.
    Even if I was within 91:30 I'd be quite happy.

Anyone else thinking similarly?

Advertisement